New build: Crit needed!

Please crit my new system build: What could be better? What is the best? What would you change.

Coolermaster HAF 932 Full-Tower Gaming Case

1000 Watt Extreme Power Supply [Gaming Edition] --- Quad SLI + Active PFC + 80 Plus Ready

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E8600 (2x 3.33GHz/6MB L2 Cache/1333FSB)
+ SHOULD I GET A QUAD CORE? For present and future purposes?

INTEL Certified Liquid CPU Cooling System kit

eVGA Nvidia nForce 780i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, 3-Way PCI-E MB 3-Way SLI

4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module

Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT 1gb

750 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache]

Price so far: $1990

Please be harsh
18 answers Last reply
More about build crit needed
  1. Bump for reply
  2. Ok, why do you have an 8600gt selected? That is a crappy card in comparison to your budget.
    First, i'd drop the psu you have listed since it is overkill. drop to a 750 or 600 if possible. For the gpu get either a 4870 or one of nvidia's 260 or 280. They are all comparable cards. I'm assuming that since you're getting an sli capable mobo that you want nvidia, so go that route.

You might be able to fit a 1tb hard drive into the budget. I don't have time right now to go modify your list of pc parts.
  3. I agree, you get 780i and e8600 that are high end parts and you slam 8600gt on it.....Also the 1gb will not do miracles its just marketing. About quadcore, I was thinking about e8400 or q6600 and I got q6600 since I don't want to upgrade soon :p Umm also you don't need 1000w power supply if you seriously think about getting 8600gt. From the parts you chosen 280gtx would be a good choice for this build.

One more think...I'm not a fanboy of any sort but ati cards give you better performance for the money so I would consider getting intel motherboard and 4870 for example.
  4. Im going to stick with the 780i, and go ahead and get the 280gtx but i can only afford one atm so i cant sli. So should I stick with quad or not? How long will a dual core last in years to come?
  5. I would go for quadcore, q9550 would be a good choice. When Intel's Nehalemns come out they will push for the multicore apps
  6. Overkill on the PSU. Over kill on watercooling too. Why do you need SLI? Do you have a 22"+ LCD??

GPU is cr@p.

Imo, with your budget seriously consider a X48 + 4870. There is NO NEED for a watercooling for those parts unless you plan to do some heavy OCing. Besides that water set up is probably cr@p also. Get a REAL water cooling set up (ie. Swiftech blocks,etc).

Please provide details on what you plan to do with this PC.
  7. It looks like you started at the wrong end of the component selection spectrum (CSS). What's up with the video card selection? You running DOS?
  8. he said he wants 780i and 280gtx *cough* nvidia fanboi *cough* xD I always go for price to performance, if next gen cards come out and nvidia will have better product for the dought I will jump the nvidia boat :p
  9. Quote:
    1000 Watt Extreme Power Supply [Gaming Edition] --- Quad SLI + Active PFC + 80 Plus Ready

Quote:
    INTEL Certified Liquid CPU Cooling System kit

Reeks of OEM BS. Many of use would probably say to get the Q6600 and overclock it to 3GHz+, but that might not be possible with the bios from this company. Assuming this is for gaming, you should get the 8300-8500, an Intel chipset, and the 4870. If your more of a multimedia junkie, then the q6600 is probably going to be better.

Whats so hot about the 780i? Your a fan of data corruption while overclocking?
  10. You want harsh criticism? All right, here goes. Your RAM selection is smart. The rest, well, let's just say I'd change them.

Yeah, go quad. Get a Q9550 or at least a Q6600.

Get a 640GB disk or two from Seagate or WD. Those are the fastest disks these days, not the 750GB versions.

LOL at the 8600GT. That's the perfect card for playing Solitaire and movies and working with Office. It will stink in most 3D games.

Dump the water cooling, the expensive 780i motherboard/1000W PSU/full-tower. Get a GA-EP45-DS3R, Corsair 750TX PSU and a RC-690 case (good prices at www.buy.com for PSU and case). Use the savings to upgrade the 8600GT to HD 4870 X2.

Just so you get some idea of the difference:
    8600GT gets 3.2 fps in this benchmark, totally useless.
    HD 4870 Crossfire gets 44.6 fps, just fine. HD 4870 X2 is not in this chart, but it's usually a little better than HD 4870 Crossfire.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-charts-q3-2008/World-in-Conflict-v1-05,791.html
  11. ok... a little to much for me. Can someone just give me a good build component by compenent for a hardcore gamer. A system that will last for years to come, and ive got like a $2000-$2500 budget, I know this will take time to do but i would greatly apprciate it.
  12. thanks aevm ... i just posted that last reply while you were probably typing that one
  13. If I only had to choose from the mobo's which should i get?

[SLI] Asus P5N-E SLI nForce® 650i SLI Chipset w/6-channel CODEC, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394 Dual PCI-E MB

[SLI] Asus P5N-D Nvidia nForce 750i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, Dual PCI-E MB EPU Technology

[SLI] Asus P5N-T Deluxe NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, 3-Way P 3-Way SLI & EPU Technology

[SLI] eVGA Nvidia nForce 780i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, 3-Way PCI-E MB 3-Way SLI

[SLI] eVGA Nvidia NForce 680i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0 Dual PCI-E MB

[SLI] MSI P7N SLI-FI Nvidia nForce 750i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, Three PCI-E MB

[SLI] MSI P7N Diamond Nvidia nForce 780i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, Three PCI-E MB

[CrossFire] Asus P5Q Pro Intel P45 Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, Dual PCI-E MB

[CrossFire] Asus Maximus II Formula Intel P45 CrossFire Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, Dual PCI-E MB

[CrossFire] Asus P5K Premium Intel P35 CrossFire Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394 Dual PCI-E MB

[CrossFire] Asus P5E Deluxe Intel X48 Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, Dual PCI-E MB

[CrossFire] Asus Rampage Formula Intel X48 Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, Dual PCI-E MB
  14. but yes so far i understand that i need the HD 4870 x2, the 4 GB ram, the corsair 750 watt PSU, I like the case so im keeping it no matter what anyone says, and the Q9550 processor
  15. Could I get away just buying one of the 4870's i cant afford two
  16. What exactly do you want from the motherboard? Specifically, are you interested in RAID, eSATA, FireWire?

Do you need 8 SATA ports, or can you get by with 4 or 6? If you intend to record TV shows on the PC you will want more SATA ports so you can add more hard disks.

Do you need 3 PCI slots, or can you get by with 1 or 2? Possible uses for PCI slots: TV tuner, second TV tuner, dial-up modem, sound card. This may sound silly, but guess what, I watch only two shows on TV (NCIS and House) and they're both on Tuesday at 8. Two tuners are needed for a scenario like this.

Do you need support for 3 or 4 monitors? If yes, you need a cheap video card (HD 3450 for example) for monitors 3 and 4, and the MB needs a second PCI-E x16 slot for it.

With the 4870X2 and a 750W PSU you can't really add a second gaming card, and IMO you won't need it either. This means you don't need an expensive x38 or x48.
    Avoid the nForce boards because they are less stable than those based on P45. Avoid P35 because it has PCI-E 1 and you want PCI-E 2 for the 4870X2. You're left with the P5Q Pro ($120), the Maximus II Formula Intel P45 ($281), and I'd add the GA-EP45-DS3R ($116 at newegg after rebate and shipping). I'd choose between those two cheaper ones. The P5Q Pro has 8 SATA ports, which gives it a small advantage over the GA-EP45-DS3R (with 6 ports). Both have 2 PCI slots, eSATA, FireWire, RAID, 2 PCI-E x16 slots.
  17. I just want a computer that is best for high end gaming... but can be used for years to come.
  18. OK, my previous post was after you said you'd go with the HD 4870X2. If you want to get a HD 4870 for now, and have the option to add a second one later, then the logic changes a bit. You want an X48 in this scenario. The P5E Deluxe would be my favorite from that list. Also check out the GA-X48-DS4. The Rampage is nice but too expensive to make sense IMO.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems