I Built My First PC - I Need Help

depetrify

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Hello everyone!

So... I just built my very first computer two days ago, and let me start you off with a few specs...

- CoolMaster HaF 932 (The fans it includes)
- i7 920 (Stock Fan)
- 12 GB DDR3
- Nividia Geforce GTX 295
- 750 Watt Corsair Power Supply
- Asus P6T
- LightScribe Optical Drive
- RAID1 ~2 Seagate 1.5 TB 7200 RPM Drives~
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
-Feel free to ask me for any other specs-

Alright. Story Time.

So this was my first PC I ever built, so obviously it is pretty messy inside. When I built it I was not even thinking about the "Heat" + "Messy" factors. I was to busy trying to figure out what goes where. In the past few days I have learned so much about hardware and I wanted to do so much more. So today I started trying to figure out how to overclock...

I downloaded CPUID, RealTemp, Cinebench, and Prime95. The first time I looked into CPUID I saw that my processor was only running at 1.6GHz, that's when I thought something was wrong and researching, and then I learned it was just like that in idle mode. So I ran Cinebench and CPUID and it went up to about 2.8 GHz.

After I figured that out, and after staring at my Temps for a while I thought they were EXTREMELY LOW... around 40 C idle. I tried to use TurboV to overclock and I couldn't really find any tutorials on that and it kept making my computer freeze, so I stopped with that.

I googled around and found out how to overclock in BIOS and I started messing around with those settings. I got it to about 3.5 GHz and it was around 50 C idle, which I thought wasn't much. Then I decided to run a game with it and see what the temperature was with it running. It was around 70 C while playing "Aion".

I thought that was perfect, because I heard that was near the max temperature your CPU should be at. After some more research I decided to use Prime95 which I had already downloaded but never used. I did a Stress Blend Test, and that's when I realized my computer could NOT handle that OC'ing. It would go up to the 90s in a minute or so and I would immediately stop the tests.

Then I put everything back to auto in bio's and ran that test again and I was still getting really high. I let it run for about 5 minutes and this is what I got...

P95TestV1.png

Now i'm starting to doubt my computer is going to be as good as I expected. Since I started learning about temperatures and stuff I have opened my computer multiple times to clean up the wires. I feel like I have gotten it pretty good, or as best as I can do it for now. Since my computer is already all put together it is really hard to clean up.

I do not know what I should do... rewire my whole computer... realize that my computer is fine ... any suggestions would be nice.

Thanks a lot!

Depetrify

blackjellognomes

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Your temp readings are pretty normal for an i7 920. 40C is not extremely low, and hitting 90's in prime95 is far from unheard of; however, most people look into aftermarket heatsinks, especially when building high-end gaming builds (by the looks of it, I'm guessing you spent $2000+).
Better cable management might help, but I think the stock cooler on your chip is the more significant factor.

depetrify

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Alright. Thanks for the help. Can you give me a link to your average computers wire management or a really nice one so I can compare? I'm not sure mines all that terrible. And if it is with my same case that would be awesome!

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
+1 also, get rid of the stock fan, Intel shouldn't have even included it with the processor.

Cable management will not be enough to get your temps to a reasonable level.

Here is one of the many review sites you can check out FROSTY.