Are these components compatible?

MARSden

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Hello all, I am in the process of building my very first gaming rig and have some compatibility questions. Here are a list of the components I am looking at...(and please no brand bashing, I am a student on a limited budget; that said suggestions are welcome)...

1. Case: APEVIA X-ALIEN MX-ALIEN-BK/500 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case ATX 500W Dual Fan W/ Automatic Fan Speed Control

2. Mobo: ASUS M3N-HD HDMI AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

3. CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor

4. Ram: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

5. Video Card: Nvidia 8800GT 512mb dual slot

6. Heatsink & Fan : Thermaltake CL-P0310 120mm CPU Cooling Fan
*an additional question, could I use the included fan with the Apevia case as a secondary case fan?

There it is, now it should be noted I do want to upgrade my power supply at some point maybe 850-1000w. That is down the road however when I can afford another graphics card to SLI. Also I have 1gb ram, HDD, CD/RW, and DVD rom I am planning on using out of my existing HP a1130n. Again any input/suggestions are welcome and I truly appreciate the help.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
As far as the case goes, I have an apevia x-plorer case which is probably similar, but not exactly the same. you can use fans anywhere where there's a spot for them in the case.

Your powersupply with the case is not good. Go for another one of a brand name like antec, OCZ, corsair, pc power and cooling etc... there's a sticky somewhere about psu's and selecting one.

MARSden

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Well I wanted a ATX full tower and this is the best option for my price range, and the power supply included will be a back up or go in my parents new rig. I ended up going with the Corsair TX 750w. Also picked up the new 89w 6000+. Now I'm simply waiting on the parts to arrive so I can assemble them. Thanks for the input guys.