Ra1der

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
Hi.
I am about to build a new computer and all I got now is the:

XFX nForce 790i ultra motherboard
2 ghz of RAM (2 * 1024mb SLI)
Intel core 2 quad 2.66 ghz

Thats all I got for now, still got to get a heatsink, hard drive, computer case, powersuply and graphics card (thats everything to build a computer...right?). And that is the problem, I dont know which graphic card to put on the motherboard that would give good performance. I've read a bit from the guide for the motherboard saying that it would run best with XFX cards, thats what the motherboard is designed for. *Mind you I have very limited knowledge about computers*, so I have no idea which XFX graphic card would be most suitable.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance :)

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
If you can, I'd return the board and DDR3 memory, nvidia boards are of subpar quality and only real advantage was that you could setup a SLI configuration (Which was a real plus... when nvidia was on top). DDR3 is still to expensive to be worth it, you won't see any performance benefits over DDR2, and you'll benefit a lot more from having 4GB of ram.

If you can do what I stated above, then I'd get an X38 motherboard, an HD 4870 or HD 4870 X2 (depending on your budget), 4GB of DDR2 1066 memory, and at least 640GB HDD from western digital.

If it's not possible, then I'd get a GTX 260 or a pair of them depending on the budget (Not the 216 core junk, you'd be basically paying +$50 per card, just for a 5% performance boost). You can get any nvidia card regardless of manufacturer and they will run all the same, it doesn't have to be an XFX card.

Ra1der

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
Yeah I know what you mean with the DDR 3, but it wont be a problem. I am getting 2 more ghz of ram this saturday for 50$ DD3 SLI.
GTX 260 looks awsome and for a decent price, I guess I will stick with that.
Hard drives I have ordered two seagate Barracuda 7200.10rpm, 750gb.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
I am against nvidia-based motherboards (however not against the graphics cards), but it's still looking like a solid system. I hope you don't run into any nagging issues with it like many others have, I'd read some about RAID issues on nvidia based boards in case you're planning on setting up an array, otherwise good luck.