Sign in with
Your question
Closed

My PC freezes randomly, no error mesages-nothing.

Last response: in Systems
September 25, 2008 2:12:09 AM

I don't know what to do anymore. My PC keeps freezing up on me with no error messages, no warnings. Whe n it freezes I have to do a hard reboot to make it work again.
I have reinstalled Windows couple of days ago-thinking that maybe My Windows XP was buggie or something ,worked fine for 3 days and started again. I haven't installed anything that would do that. It does it completely random it is not very often but happens and it bugs the hell out of me.
Here are my Specs: K9N Diamond, Athlon 64x2 5600+ 2.8Ghz, 4GB Ram, PSU Apevia 680W, 250GB HDD 7200RPM, Ati Radeon HD 4870 512GDDR5.
The last two times when I put it under full load(I just tested it with 3dMark 06 is working fine but after I stopped doing whatever is freezes after the load-when it's idle looks like.
Please help me I am clueless here!
Thank you
September 25, 2008 4:47:48 AM

Check your temperatures on the motherboard,CPU and GPU. Test your memory with memtest.
September 25, 2008 12:43:01 PM

Are you getting anything in your event viewer?
Related resources
September 25, 2008 2:36:46 PM

I did test the CPU-was fine(Temps are between 32C - 55C, NB temps are around 35-50C, GPU is cool also around 55C. I have tested the memory as well-no errors. The last 3 times it froze when was idling almost imidietly after full load for a couple of hours. I just installed fresh copy of Windows XP. I don't get anything in my even view either-it's like it never froze up.
September 25, 2008 4:22:41 PM

Does it lock up all at once, or does it do the program not responding thing systematically until nothing will work?
September 25, 2008 5:05:12 PM

It locks up all at once-nothing is working, Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't help. Nothing does except F13(hard reboot).
I talked with friend of mine and he still thinks that is the RAM. He suggested to take them all out and try to run them on my PC one by one and see if it does it again, Or go test it at a computer store or something. Any ideas guys?
thank you
September 25, 2008 8:01:05 PM

You could do that. You could also go to memtest86.com and run their test.

Try those and let us know if it turns out to be the RAM or if there's something else.
September 26, 2008 4:01:24 AM

It turns out that is RAM. I did run the Windows Memory Diagnostic. There are two options-standard check and extended check-didn't fin any problems under standard, however on the extended it turns out that one of my Memory chips is failing. I am so glad I finally found what the problem is. Here is the link guys if you need to check-this little program saved me! I recommend it to everyone out there who has the same problem.

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Thank you for all your help!

October 1, 2008 4:23:48 PM

My PC worked fine for 4 days and last night it froze up again. I tried running the Utilty again-left it overnight-nothing. The RAM is now fine. I don't understand then wht is causing this problem. Any other ideas guys?
Thank you.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 15, 2009 7:41:00 PM

my pc freezes like that too but only when i watch clips , movies ,play games even minigames lol and other stuff only think i can do is just join forums and read texts dudes please help me damn freezing :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :fou: 
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 3, 2010 8:21:43 PM

I have been battling the same problem with an HP dc7900. Locks up completely randomly with no errors and nothing in the event viewer, gives absolutely no clue whatever as to why it's doing it. I have to cold boot using the power switch to get it back up and running. I ran the self test on the hard drive as well as memtest on the RAM, both standard and extended tests came back with no errors even when I ran it overnight, and the hard drive diagnostic found no errors. I found that the computer was still under warranty and though they wouldn't replace the whole pc, HP would replace parts so I got a free motherboard and since swapping it out, haven't had the problem again, knock on wood. I suspect there may have been some bad capacitors on the board or something. Hope this helps.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 17, 2010 1:51:39 AM

I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor with 2.66 GHZ. 1 GB of ram, and Windows XP. The chip I have I just got for 20 bucks. I started using it and 1 hour into what I was doin it would randomly shut off. I then took out my Fan, and the Chip, only to find out the cooling fan was failing, causing the CPU chip to over heat, and tada shutdown. I replaced the fan, and it ran PERFECTLY for the first few days. Then this started to happen when I played CoD 4 and 5. It started to randomly lock up, hard drive light stuck on, and nothing responding. I may have a solution though, and that is: Take off your CPU's fan, and take out the chip, and check to see if any pins are bent, or if any have broken off. If not, put it back into the slot, and put the fan back on. Run your computer with the side off, and check to make sure everything is working AKA, graphics card fan is spinning, etc.
October 16, 2011 1:02:10 PM

I have the same problem two months ago from the video card capacitors were swollen and my computer shuts down when he wanted. Now just freeze up I looked at the card, and one change capacitors was swollen again. problem solved
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
December 10, 2011 4:57:47 AM

This topic has been closed by Proximon
!