Detaill

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
After posting general question about CPU temp. under mainstream user conditions, it was suggested that if really wanted to know what my processer could do I needed to run a Prime 95 stess test . I found that the only included operating systems were Win ME, 2000 , and XP. The version 25.11 was updated on 7-15-09 . Are there Win Vista or Win 7 versions ? I could not even consider using this product if it is not made for my OS. :eek:

Solution
Well most of the sites that have it seem to be down right now as they link directly to Mersenne so the latest version is 25.11 available from the link I've place at the bottom and you simply have to choose whether you want the 32bit version or the 64bit version according to your operating system.

I think you are worrying a bit too much about it as it will run on Win7.

I know I just ran it two days ago and there are so many sites that have it for download they simply haven't bothered to update the OS requirement information.

If you look around various places including threads here at Tom's you'll see that it will work.

You simply install the proper version for your operating system 32bit/64bit and then start it.

Leave your PC...

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

You can obtain Prime 95 from here

Simply choose the version appropriate for your operating system either 32bit which is the main download or 64bit which is listed in smaller text just above the main download link.

Vista is listed as one of the operating systems and I have used the 64bit version with Win7 and it worked fine. :)

Detaill

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Thank you Lone wolf,

That is older version than the one I found and it still not recomended for win 7. I am still learning about prime 95 as suggested by the first post . Anything that will push my system that hard, I want to learn more about before using.
Vista and win 7 are not the same that is evident the number of driver updates.

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Well most of the sites that have it seem to be down right now as they link directly to Mersenne so the latest version is 25.11 available from the link I've place at the bottom and you simply have to choose whether you want the 32bit version or the 64bit version according to your operating system.

I think you are worrying a bit too much about it as it will run on Win7.

I know I just ran it two days ago and there are so many sites that have it for download they simply haven't bothered to update the OS requirement information.

If you look around various places including threads here at Tom's you'll see that it will work.

You simply install the proper version for your operating system 32bit/64bit and then start it.

Leave your PC alone and let it run for a while to see if you get any errors. I ran it for about 6hrs which satisfied me. Some prefer more but I think that's enough.

Also for what it's worth I just started mine and it is version 25.8 and it worked fine in Win7 so either one will work.

I've also noticed that Win7 is very intuitive in that when you attempt to install something that is not designed to work with it you get a message popping up anyway.

http://software.blog.co.in/2009/09/10/download-prime95-vista-2511-1mb-freeware/

Solution