Question about Apple Newton

February 19, 2005 5:25:58 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

In the film Under Seige 2 a Apple Newton used by Steven Seagal is able
to send faxes with a built in modem, and also connect to a computer, and
have the entire machine show up on the screen. Is this truth? ON a
Palm the data is only synced, and I can not access the apps, and os from
my Mac.

John
--
1Cor. 1:18 ¶ For the message of the cross is foolishness to
those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it

More about : question apple newton

Anonymous
February 19, 2005 12:42:40 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

In article <1108808766.109cc22e3385ad177263751b589ef2e8@teranews>, John
<johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In the film Under Seige 2 a Apple Newton used by Steven Seagal is able
> to send faxes with a built in modem, and also connect to a computer, and
> have the entire machine show up on the screen. Is this truth? ON a
> Palm the data is only synced, and I can not access the apps, and os from
> my Mac.

Of course you can. There's a VNC client for Palm.
http://palmvnc2.free.fr/

--
Jerry Kindall, Seattle, WA <http://www.jerrykindall.com/&gt;

Send only plain text messages under 32K to the Reply-To address.
This mailbox is filtered aggressively to thwart spam and viruses.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 5:32:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

John <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In the film Under Seige 2 a Apple Newton used by Steven Seagal is able
> to send faxes with a built in modem, and also connect to a computer, and
> have the entire machine show up on the screen. Is this truth? ON a
> Palm the data is only synced, and I can not access the apps, and os from
> my Mac.
>

> John

Trolling, are we? :-)

On the assumption that we are not, I'll try a simple answer.

The Newton is now an old and unsupported device, althogh the folks in
the .palmtops group may know more about it than some of the rest of us.
Yes, it could send faxes, No, it could not show a remote computer's
screen. This is a movie, and even a commercial one. It is more of a
vision of how one would like it to be than a rendition of facts.

On a Palm you could _never_ see the entire desktop of another computer.
Never. As you say, you can sync (some) data like addresses, files,
appointments, and so on, given the right software.

On a Mac, or a PC, or a *nix machine, you can show a remote screen.
Either straight out of the box or using extra software at one or both
ends. But you can do it. On a Palm, you can't. Sorry.
--
/Z
February 19, 2005 5:32:07 PM

Zaphod B <NOT.diskworld@mac.com.INVALID> wrote:

> On a Palm you could _never_ see the entire desktop of another computer.
> Never. As you say, you can sync (some) data like addresses, files,
> appointments, and so on, given the right software.

Of course you can - though possibly not at full resolution.

It can be pretty handy at times: http://palmvnc2.free.fr/
February 19, 2005 5:32:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

No I was talking about the desktop computer seeing the entire Newton os
and such on its screen, when you connected the Newton to your desktop
via appletalk or whatever. Not the other way around. Was that film
accurate in this regard?

In article <1gs8inw.1f8krklalkferN%NOT.diskworld@mac.com.INVALID>,
NOT.diskworld@mac.com.INVALID (Zaphod B) wrote:

> John <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > In the film Under Seige 2 a Apple Newton used by Steven Seagal is able
> > to send faxes with a built in modem, and also connect to a computer, and
> > have the entire machine show up on the screen. Is this truth? ON a
> > Palm the data is only synced, and I can not access the apps, and os from
> > my Mac.
> >

> > John
>
> Trolling, are we? :-)
>
> On the assumption that we are not, I'll try a simple answer.
>
> The Newton is now an old and unsupported device, althogh the folks in
> the .palmtops group may know more about it than some of the rest of us.
> Yes, it could send faxes, No, it could not show a remote computer's
> screen. This is a movie, and even a commercial one. It is more of a
> vision of how one would like it to be than a rendition of facts.
>
> On a Palm you could _never_ see the entire desktop of another computer.
> Never. As you say, you can sync (some) data like addresses, files,
> appointments, and so on, given the right software.
>
> On a Mac, or a PC, or a *nix machine, you can show a remote screen.
> Either straight out of the box or using extra software at one or both
> ends. But you can do it. On a Palm, you can't. Sorry.
--
1Cor. 1:18 ¶ For the message of the cross is foolishness to
those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it
is the power of God.
(Read John MacArthur's "Ashamed of the Gospel" when the church becomes like the world).
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 5:32:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

In article <1gs8inw.1f8krklalkferN%NOT.diskworld@mac.com.INVALID>,
Zaphod B <NOT.diskworld@mac.com.INVALID> wrote:

> John <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > In the film Under Seige 2 a Apple Newton used by Steven Seagal is able
> > to send faxes with a built in modem, and also connect to a computer, and
> > have the entire machine show up on the screen. Is this truth? ON a
> > Palm the data is only synced, and I can not access the apps, and os from
> > my Mac.
> >

> > John
>
> Trolling, are we? :-)
>
> On the assumption that we are not, I'll try a simple answer.
>
> The Newton is now an old and unsupported device, althogh the folks in
> the .palmtops group may know more about it than some of the rest of us.
> Yes, it could send faxes, No, it could not show a remote computer's
> screen. This is a movie, and even a commercial one. It is more of a
> vision of how one would like it to be than a rendition of facts.

Actually, there's a VNC client for the Newton too -- although there
probably wasn't when the movie was made.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000907030737/

--
Jerry Kindall, Seattle, WA <http://www.jerrykindall.com/&gt;

Send only plain text messages under 32K to the Reply-To address.
This mailbox is filtered aggressively to thwart spam and viruses.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 5:32:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

In article <1108832874.e7cc3f7697810376af69656743b876d9@teranews>, John
<johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote:

> No I was talking about the desktop computer seeing the entire Newton os
> and such on its screen, when you connected the Newton to your desktop
> via appletalk or whatever. Not the other way around. Was that film
> accurate in this regard?

There's a Newton emulator, which is probably what they used in the film
for this effect.

--
Jerry Kindall, Seattle, WA <http://www.jerrykindall.com/&gt;

Send only plain text messages under 32K to the Reply-To address.
This mailbox is filtered aggressively to thwart spam and viruses.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 7:13:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

did you know PalmVNC?

I use it to control my PC with a bluetooth connection! works
greattttttttttttttttttttttt

"Zaphod B" <NOT.diskworld@mac.com.INVALID> wrote in message
> John <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> In the film Under Seige 2 a Apple Newton used by Steven Seagal is able
>> to send faxes with a built in modem, and also connect to a computer, and
>> have the entire machine show up on the screen. Is this truth? ON a
>> Palm the data is only synced, and I can not access the apps, and os from
>> my Mac.
>>

>> John
>
> Trolling, are we? :-)
>
> On the assumption that we are not, I'll try a simple answer.
>
> The Newton is now an old and unsupported device, althogh the folks in
> the .palmtops group may know more about it than some of the rest of us.
> Yes, it could send faxes, No, it could not show a remote computer's
> screen. This is a movie, and even a commercial one. It is more of a
> vision of how one would like it to be than a rendition of facts.
>
> On a Palm you could _never_ see the entire desktop of another computer.
> Never. As you say, you can sync (some) data like addresses, files,
> appointments, and so on, given the right software.
>
> On a Mac, or a PC, or a *nix machine, you can show a remote screen.
> Either straight out of the box or using extra software at one or both
> ends. But you can do it. On a Palm, you can't. Sorry.
> --
> /Z
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 9:58:16 PM

kapitonio <kapitonio@yahoo.com> wrote:

> did you know PalmVNC?
>
> I use it to control my PC with a bluetooth connection! works
> greattttttttttttttttttttttt
>

> "Zaphod B" <NOT.diskworld@mac.com.INVALID> wrote in message
> > John <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> In the film Under Seige 2 a Apple Newton used by Steven Seagal is able
> >> to send faxes with a built in modem, and also connect to a computer, and
> >> have the entire machine show up on the screen. Is this truth? ON a
> >> Palm the data is only synced, and I can not access the apps, and os from
> >> my Mac.
> >>

> >> John
> >
> > Trolling, are we? :-)
> >
> > On the assumption that we are not, I'll try a simple answer.
> >
> > The Newton is now an old and unsupported device, althogh the folks in
> > the .palmtops group may know more about it than some of the rest of us.
> > Yes, it could send faxes, No, it could not show a remote computer's
> > screen. This is a movie, and even a commercial one. It is more of a
> > vision of how one would like it to be than a rendition of facts.
> >
> > On a Palm you could _never_ see the entire desktop of another computer.
> > Never. As you say, you can sync (some) data like addresses, files,
> > appointments, and so on, given the right software.
> >
> > On a Mac, or a PC, or a *nix machine, you can show a remote screen.
> > Either straight out of the box or using extra software at one or both
> > ends. But you can do it. On a Palm, you can't. Sorry.
> > --
> > /Z

I stand corrected. Totally mistaken, I aplogize.
--
/Z
Anonymous

Jerry Kindall <jerrykindall@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <1108808766.109cc22e3385ad177263751b589ef2e8@teranews>, John
> <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > In the film Under Seige 2 a Apple Newton used by Steven Seagal is able
> > to send faxes with a built in modem, and also connect to a computer, and
> > have the entire machine show up on the screen. Is this truth? ON a
> > Palm the data is only synced, and I can not access the apps, and os from
> > my Mac.
>
> Of course you can. There's a VNC client for Palm.
> http://palmvnc2.free.fr/

See other posting. I was too hasty; I apologize.
--
/Z
Anonymous

Zaphod B wrote:

> On a Palm you could _never_ see the entire desktop of another computer.
> Never. As you say, you can sync (some) data like addresses, files,
> appointments, and so on, given the right software.

I beg to differ. PalmVNC's latest version combined with OSXVNC 1.5
supports screen scaling. Ergo, I can view the entire desktop of my G3
'media server' running OS X on my WiFi Sony Clie UX50.

HTH.

Richard

--
RichardK - 1980s in a can. http://www.dmc12.demon.co.uk/music/
Retro computing - http://www.dmc12.demon.co.uk/retrotech/

RichardK-PB <atari@NOSPAMbtconnect.com> wrote:

> Zaphod B wrote:
>
> > On a Palm you could _never_ see the entire desktop of another computer.
> > Never. As you say, you can sync (some) data like addresses, files,
> > appointments, and so on, given the right software.
>
> I beg to differ. PalmVNC's latest version combined with OSXVNC 1.5
> supports screen scaling. Ergo, I can view the entire desktop of my G3
> 'media server' running OS X on my WiFi Sony Clie UX50.
>
> HTH.
>
> Richard

I have already apologized for being mistaken on this one earlier in the
thread... ;-)
--
/Z
Anonymous

Zaphod B wrote:
> RichardK-PB <atari@NOSPAMbtconnect.com> wrote:
>

>>Zaphod B wrote:
>>

>>>On a Palm you could _never_ see the entire desktop of another computer.
>>>Never. As you say, you can sync (some) data like addresses, files,
>>>appointments, and so on, given the right software.
>>
>>I beg to differ. PalmVNC's latest version combined with OSXVNC 1.5
>>supports screen scaling. Ergo, I can view the entire desktop of my G3
>>'media server' running OS X on my WiFi Sony Clie UX50.
>>
>>HTH.
>>
>>Richard
>

> I have already apologized for being mistaken on this one earlier in the
> thread... ;-)

Yesyes, but I was pointing out the ENTIRE DESKTOP bit, too - that's only
just started behaving :D

Richard

--
RichardK - 1980s in a can. http://www.dmc12.demon.co.uk/music/
Retro computing - http://www.dmc12.demon.co.uk/retrotech/
Cars - 2004 Beetle Cabrio, 1989 Supra 3.0i, 1990 Sera
MidiGuitar, Enterprise 128, AU/X. Apple 77-04. See links ;)
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 8:52:51 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

RichardK-PB <atari@NOSPAMbtconnect.com> wrote:

> > I have already apologized for being mistaken on this one earlier in the
> > thread... ;-)
>
> Yesyes, but I was pointing out the ENTIRE DESKTOP bit, too - that's only
> just started behaving :D

Great! :-)
--
/Z
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

NOT.diskworld@mac.com.INVALID (Zaphod B) wrote in

> I stand corrected. Totally mistaken, I aplogize.

Better be careful; such statements can get you banned from Usenet. ;-)
Seriously, very gracious.

--
Albert Nurick | Nurick + Associates - Web Design
albert@nurick.com | eCommerce - Content Management

Albert Nurick <albert@nurick.com> wrote:

> NOT.diskworld@mac.com.INVALID (Zaphod B) wrote in
>
> > I stand corrected. Totally mistaken, I aplogize.
>
> Better be careful; such statements can get you banned from Usenet. ;-)
> Seriously, very gracious.

Thanks. I have seen so many silly flame wars stemming from someone not
backing down even when obviously wrong, or nitpicking a minor semantic
or OT point to save his skin (yep, normally a 'he') that I'm not
interested any more. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong! :-)
--
/Z
!