Using Pc to call landline numbers...???

September 10, 2005 2:12:54 AM

HI,
my name is mujeeb. I want to call anther phone no using my pc using normal
landline phone system, no pc2phone, voip here, just want to record the
conversation, if needed, is there any free or shareware software 4 win xp
which lets us do this simple thing as i cant find any caller software like
that one in win 98 or Me for calling other phones using ur pc in win xp sp2.
plz help me in this regard.

thanx a lot.
_MrM_

More about : call landline numbers

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 2:12:55 AM

mujeebrm wrote:
> HI,
> my name is mujeeb. I want to call anther phone no using my pc using normal
> landline phone system, no pc2phone, voip here, just want to record the
> conversation, if needed, is there any free or shareware software 4 win xp
> which lets us do this simple thing as i cant find any caller software like
> that one in win 98 or Me for calling other phones using ur pc in win xp sp2.
> plz help me in this regard.
>
> thanx a lot.
> _MrM_

You would need a modem designed to also work as an ansewering/voicemail
machine for that. The typical generic PCI winmodem is only designed to
modulate and demodulate the tones used to communicate between modems.

Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) typicaly requires you to use a
braodband internet connection and the voice signals are modulated or
demodulated by equipment located near where the other person is located.
The ablility, or lack thereof, is then a matter of the VOIP software's
features.

Easyer and much less expensive to by an answering machine with recording
capabilities or a tape recorder and one of those suction cup pickup
coils for a telephone handset. Make sure the other party knows you are
recording the conversation, since covert recording violates criminal
statues in some circumstanses and jurisrictions. At one time a periodic
tone was required if you were recording a phone conversation. It might
be a good idea to include the other party consenting in the recording.
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 2:12:55 AM

"mujeebrm" <mujeebrm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> HI,
> my name is mujeeb. I want to call anther phone no using my pc using normal
> landline phone system, no pc2phone, voip here, just want to record the
> conversation, if needed, is there any free or shareware software 4 win xp
> which lets us do this simple thing as i cant find any caller software like
> that one in win 98 or Me for calling other phones using ur pc in win xp
sp2.
> plz help me in this regard.
>
> thanx a lot.
> _MrM_

You'll need a modem with some extra features, and it should come with
software. Note however that in some jurisdictions there are clear rules
regarding the use of recorders and automated dialers. Check that what you
want to do is legal in your area.

If you google "call recorders" you'll get things like this:
http://www.vidicode.com/ipweb/scr-classic.htm

be aware that not all will work with XP.

HTH
-pk
September 10, 2005 2:41:55 AM

Hi RoberVA...

But in win98, there is a dialler included for the purpose which i need and i
have been using to make calls, is there any dialer software available for
winxp for this purpose, absolutely i wont use to do any wrong thing...

_MrM_
"RobertVA" <robert_c72AThotmail@invalid.com> wrote in message
news:o AQQ5RWtFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> mujeebrm wrote:
>> HI,
>> my name is mujeeb. I want to call anther phone no using my pc using
>> normal landline phone system, no pc2phone, voip here, just want to record
>> the conversation, if needed, is there any free or shareware software 4
>> win xp which lets us do this simple thing as i cant find any caller
>> software like that one in win 98 or Me for calling other phones using ur
>> pc in win xp sp2. plz help me in this regard.
>>
>> thanx a lot.
>> _MrM_
>
> You would need a modem designed to also work as an ansewering/voicemail
> machine for that. The typical generic PCI winmodem is only designed to
> modulate and demodulate the tones used to communicate between modems.
>
> Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) typicaly requires you to use a
> braodband internet connection and the voice signals are modulated or
> demodulated by equipment located near where the other person is located.
> The ablility, or lack thereof, is then a matter of the VOIP software's
> features.
>
> Easyer and much less expensive to by an answering machine with recording
> capabilities or a tape recorder and one of those suction cup pickup coils
> for a telephone handset. Make sure the other party knows you are recording
> the conversation, since covert recording violates criminal statues in some
> circumstanses and jurisrictions. At one time a periodic tone was required
> if you were recording a phone conversation. It might be a good idea to
> include the other party consenting in the recording.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 2:04:12 AM

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 22:41:55 +0500, mujeebrm wrote:

> Hi RoberVA...
>
> But in win98, there is a dialler included for the purpose which i need and i
> have been using to make calls, is there any dialer software available for
> winxp for this purpose, absolutely i wont use to do any wrong thing...
>
> _MrM_

There is a dialer in XP too. Try Start> Run> and type in dialer.exe to see
what comes up. This version of the dialer is similar to what's been in
other versions of Windows but since there were some slight changes - you'll
want to look over the program to see if is still able to do what you need.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

This thread is indeed a bit old, but I want to introduce another solution to the problem.

If all that you want is to record a phone call, you don't actually need to dial the call from your PC and use modems.

You can just connect a phone recording device in parallel to your telephone line and have the calls recorded to your PC. That way you will still be using your ordinary landline phone, while having the calls recorded at the PC.

Here is a USB phone recorder device + software that can do what I have described above:
http://phonerecording.net/usb-phone-recorder-1-channel.html
!