*Is it OK to remove thermal paste with Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol? *

adreen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
So I want to reapply my thermal compound to the HSF/CPU.
I went to the store and bought Life Brand "Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol 70% USP", is this a good idea?
What does the USP stand for?
There was also 99% Isopropal Alcohol Life brand aswell, but it was a huge bottle and double the price...would that work better?
It also was spelled differently "propal" instead of "propyl"...I've read that rubbing alcohol would work, so I bought that.
Also checked the ingredients in nail polish remover, and it contained IsoproPYL, not pal.
Will I be OK? Or should I look for 90%+ acetone/isopropyl?

The 70% isopropyl alcohol will work. The 99% is better. Works well with a piece of a clean coffee filter. Swiffer cloth, I don't know. I wouldn't use a Q-tip. You want something lint free.

Only thing is - make sure that if the label says "rubbing alcohol", it does not contain lanolin. Lanolin will leave a residue behind.

Kari

Splendid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropanol
Isopropyl alcohol (also 2-propanol, iso, isopro, rubbing alcohol, or the abbreviation IPA) is a common name for isopropanol
:
:
Although isopropanol is sometimes sold as "Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol, 70%" (or 91%) and "Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol, 99%", there is no isopropyl alcohol in the United States Pharmacopeia formula for rubbing alcohol, U.S.P.

Looks like that whole naming scheme is a bit messed up, probably exact same stuff...

adreen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006

so there is no difference between isopropal and isopropyl? same shizzle?
also, the ingredients only says "non-medcinal ingredient : purified water"
nothign else :\

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Take that 70% garbage back and get the 99%. If you use anything under 90%, you need to let the CPu sit for a while to make sure that it's absolutely dry / free of moisture. Or take a hair dryer to it.

adreen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006

how long is "awhile" lol.
i already bought the damn stuff! :(
and it was spelled weird! :(
blah

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
The 70% will work, just put it on the coffee filter and rub the CPU. You will know when it is dry, it doesn't take long.

I use Heptane "trade name Bestine", but your alcohol will work fine.

lksong89

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014

"Isopropyl" refers to the configuration of the carbon and hydrogen atoms in the alcohol molecule; "isopropal" is a misspelling, so don't worry about this.

germas369

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
Lmao you lot are over thinking everything.
-There is no difference between Isopropanol and Isopropyl alcohol. Infact it can also be called propan-2-ol or 2-propanol, ITS ALL THE SAME
-Use Qtips if you like, it really doesnt matter AS LONG AS YOU DONT GET cotton around the CPU.
-Just focus on the heat spreader on the CPU (The silver plate). You're not performing a surgery here! As long as everything is dried out and there is no residue left on the spreader then there is absolutely NOTHING to worry about. Honestly what's with all the fuss?
-Isopropyl alcohol is recommended but you can also use <70% acetone if you'd like. First time I cleaned mine i used nail vanish which probably doesnt even have 50% acetone in it, so don't worry, jut make sure that its dried out. And I've had no problems also, my PC is running 4 years since then.

Crazychemist199

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016

Firstly not everyone are chemists so don't try to make it sound obvious, different chemical names and ways to express the same chemical can confuse people. Also 2-propanol is probably the worst way to name it ;), technically its a name but if you place the position at the start of the chemical name then its best to place the functional group there too: 2-hydroxypropane just to be pedantic about it :D