Sign in with
Your question

*Is it OK to remove thermal paste with Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol? *

Last response: in CPUs
December 15, 2008 9:28:12 PM

So I want to reapply my thermal compound to the HSF/CPU.
I went to the store and bought Life Brand "Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol 70% USP", is this a good idea?
What does the USP stand for?
There was also 99% Isopropal Alcohol Life brand aswell, but it was a huge bottle and double the price...would that work better?
It also was spelled differently "propal" instead of "propyl"...I've read that rubbing alcohol would work, so I bought that.
Also checked the ingredients in nail polish remover, and it contained IsoproPYL, not pal.
Will I be OK? Or should I look for 90%+ acetone/isopropyl?
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2008 9:32:31 PM

should be fine, just don't spill it all over the thing :D 

and NO for acetone, that stuff is too aggressive....
December 15, 2008 9:35:25 PM

is there a difference between isopropal and isopropyl?
haha, qtip/swiffer cloth shuld be ok?
Related resources
a c 172 à CPUs
December 15, 2008 9:43:57 PM

The 70% isopropyl alcohol will work. The 99% is better. Works well with a piece of a clean coffee filter. Swiffer cloth, I don't know. I wouldn't use a Q-tip. You want something lint free.

Only thing is - make sure that if the label says "rubbing alcohol", it does not contain lanolin. Lanolin will leave a residue behind.
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2008 9:46:07 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropanol
Quote:
Isopropyl alcohol (also 2-propanol, iso, isopro, rubbing alcohol, or the abbreviation IPA) is a common name for isopropanol
:
:
Although isopropanol is sometimes sold as "Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol, 70%" (or 91%) and "Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol, 99%", there is no isopropyl alcohol in the United States Pharmacopeia formula for rubbing alcohol, U.S.P.

Looks like that whole naming scheme is a bit messed up, probably exact same stuff...
December 15, 2008 9:47:45 PM

jsc said:
The 70% isopropyl alcohol will work. The 99% is better. Works well with a piece of a clean coffee filter. Swiffer cloth, I don't know. I wouldn't use a Q-tip. You want something lint free.

Only thing is - make sure that if the label says "rubbing alcohol", it does not contain lanolin. Lanolin will leave a residue behind.

so there is no difference between isopropal and isopropyl? same shizzle?
also, the ingredients only says "non-medcinal ingredient : purified water"
nothign else :\
December 15, 2008 9:47:54 PM

hmm, I use Qtips and they worked just fine. Guess I wont from now on.
December 15, 2008 9:51:24 PM

Take that 70% garbage back and get the 99%. If you use anything under 90%, you need to let the CPu sit for a while to make sure that it's absolutely dry / free of moisture. Or take a hair dryer to it.
December 15, 2008 9:55:53 PM

seboj said:
Take that 70% garbage back and get the 99%. If you use anything under 90%, you need to let the CPu sit for a while to make sure that it's absolutely dry / free of moisture. Or take a hair dryer to it.

how long is "awhile" lol.
i already bought the damn stuff! :( 
and it was spelled weird! :( 
blah
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2008 9:59:10 PM

When trying to remove the most solid pastes (because it dried or it was the "generic" paste that came pre-applied), I prefer to use lighter fluid.
December 15, 2008 10:43:31 PM

The 70% will work, just put it on the coffee filter and rub the CPU. You will know when it is dry, it doesn't take long.

I use Heptane "trade name Bestine", but your alcohol will work fine.
!