Sign in with
Your question

Watercooling for i7 920

Last response: in Overclocking
January 2, 2010 4:06:20 PM

Will this silent fanless watercooler be any good? http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/watercooling/...

The computer won't be overclocked; it is set with turbo mode turned on, that comes default with the motherboard. Is this overclocking? I doubt it, but perhaps some of you will know better.

Cheers

More about : watercooling 920

a c 86 K Overclocking
January 2, 2010 6:13:49 PM

Lemme see. It was made about 4 years ago when a 100 watt CPU was really hot. Your processor under load easy is 200 watts.

It's aluminum, bad bad mojo, you'll have to worry about dissimlar metals corrosion.

Look at the sticky up top here for info on modern watercooling.
January 2, 2010 6:14:09 PM

no one at all?
Related resources
January 2, 2010 6:28:31 PM

ahh dear.. I mnust have posted that at the same time as your reply conumdrum! forum won't let me edit! sorry.. and thanks for the reply :) 

I have read the sticky on watercooling, but still can't find anything fanless for my i7. The whole point for me in watercooling is to get rid of the fan. I'm not interested in overclocking.
a c 148 K Overclocking
January 2, 2010 6:38:28 PM

I can't understand why you would be interested in water cooling if you are not overclocking. The Intel stock cooler will work fine w/ "Turbo". If you want to OC your 920 to 4.0 to 4.4 Ghz you can do that w/ an air cooler.
January 2, 2010 6:51:10 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
I can't understand why you would be interested in water cooling if you are not overclocking. The Intel stock cooler will work fine w/ "Turbo". If you want to OC your 920 to 4.0 to 4.4 Ghz you can do that w/ an air cooler.

No problem, let me help you to understand why I would be interested in watercooling if I'm not overclocking. One word: noise. I have an air cooler. I'm looking to make the PC quieter. So, back on track.. having done more research, people on this forum would seem to think it can cool an i7: http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=56... The company that sells them also markets them for use with i7: http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/watercooling/...

Are there any more opinions? Has anyone actually used one of these with an i7? I don't want to purchase this if it won't work. Thanks for the input :) 
a c 86 K Overclocking
January 2, 2010 8:30:08 PM

None of the posters in that link are cooling an i7. The original poster is asking if he can use TWO V1's, not one. And one of them is recommending he cools the NB. You don't need to actively cool the NB on an i7 platform unless your going for world class overclocks.

And someone is using water wetter as part of their liquid.

Bunch of top notch input there.............................

I understand about the noise. Have you heard what noise a i7 overradded with a 120x3, low speed GT 1450 fans (under 900 rpm) and a quality pump sound like? Not much. Very quiet.

Fanless on an overclocked i7? Dunno.

a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2010 9:28:42 PM

Wow.... there is so much fail in that Silent PC thread it's not even funny.

Ok, OP, like Conumdrum said, you can't really do fan less on an i7, unless of course you get a massive 9x120 rad. Even if you manage to get rid of the fans on the CPU you still have to deal with the noise of the PSU fan(s) and the HDD noise.

Coming from someone who ran a Velociraptor, I can hear the raptor above my Yate Loon fans that were on my 220 rad (on a Q6600 @3.6Ghz; mainly used for video editing)

@OP: What about the rest of the system?
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 12, 2010 2:03:33 AM

Please no on the Reserator.
January 12, 2010 7:58:25 AM

my rig is water cooled right now i have my 5850s with water blocks from koolance and my cpu block is form koolance also, make sure you get the mounts for 1366 lol i got the wrong ones on accident, my pump and reservoir is from thermaltake good set up relatively inexpensive and small i also got my radiator form thermaltake and the fans from newegg :)  but yeah cool your thing if youre gonna OC otherwise your stock fan will be fine
January 12, 2010 8:01:23 AM

it al fits in my full size armor+ case from themaltake once again i dont know what you have, but the system can easily be moved outside, sacrificing some mobility but w/e
speccs: Intel i7 920 @ 4ghz stable; 8gb G.skill Trident ddr3 @ 2ghz; 2xati 5850 in xfire Ocd by ATI overdrive because im noob at gpu ocing :p  thermaltake toughpower 1200w psu
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 12, 2010 1:07:57 PM

TT...not good WC'ing at all. Good luck with that.
!