Sign in with
Your question

Can I OC Dell Precision T5400??(running 2 Xeon E5410 Quads)

Last response: in Overclocking
January 2, 2010 4:36:10 PM

Well, I've heard it "may" be possible to overclock my 2 Xeon E5410 processors, but has anyone over succeeded in OCing
ANY Dell Precision running Xeons?

Seems the Bios is locked out. Any way around this? Will some non-Dell BIOS be possible?

The MB is spec'd at 1333Mhz -- not sure if I can fool the processor into thinking the FSB is really 1600Mhz and don't know how to do it, if it is possible.

Anyway, I know the E5410s are usually good at least up to 2.8Ghz, maybe even 3.0Ghz. Stock, mine are 2.33 and like most of us --- I WANT MORE AND FASTER!

Eight cores and no overclocking -- it's a sad, sad, sad, sad world... :cry: 
January 3, 2010 1:33:57 PM

Come-on, all you groovy gurus. There MUST be some way to do this OC. Someone mentioned to me that Dell may have spec'ed the MB at 1333, but it may actually be a 1600 MB like the model T7400, the difference being the Bios in the T7400 actually uses the 1600 speed and the T5400 only uses 1333, but may be capable of 1600.
I've heard that taping two pins on the processor would be a test to tell if this OC works to fool the processor into thinking its on a 1600 fsb. Anyone know about this taping test on a Xeon E5410??

Thanks to all of you with your thinking caps on.
m
l
July 29, 2012 4:27:50 AM

scax said:
Well, I've heard it "may" be possible to overclock my 2 Xeon E5410 processors, but has anyone over succeeded in OCing

Seems the Bios is locked out. Any way around this? Will some non-Dell BIOS be possible?

The MB is spec'd at 1333Mhz -- not sure if I can fool the processor into thinking the FSB is really 1600Mhz and don't know how to do it, if it is possible.

Anyway, I know the E5410s are usually good at least up to 2.8Ghz, maybe even 3.0Ghz. Stock, mine are 2.33 and like most of us --- I WANT MORE AND FASTER!

There is one way & i tried it and it worked for me (DELL Precision T7400, cpu:2X intel xeon 5440@2.8GHz ,32 ram,nvidia 4600 quadro)
I DID IT WITH ((SETFSB))
and what did i got i get oc to 3.1ghz and i felt the difference but the only thing i couldnt change it ,it was the voltage its still the same so that you feel like that the cpu is sucking the power so hard and its not good ocing

search for it and try it
best regards
m
l
Related resources
October 29, 2013 9:29:45 AM

finder18 said:
scax said:

There is one way & i tried it and it worked for me (DELL Precision T7400, cpu:2X intel xeon 5440@2.8GHz ,32 ram,nvidia 4600 quadro)
I DID IT WITH ((SETFSB))
and what did i got i get oc to 3.1ghz and i felt the difference but the only thing i couldnt change it ,it was the voltage its still the same so that you feel like that the cpu is sucking the power so hard and its not good ocing

search for it and try it
best regards

Am I right in thinking the precision has an overclock mechanism built in to it, when I'm running mine, unless it needs a boost It idle's at 2,33 but when i'm rendering or doing anything that is strenuous on the clock it jumps up to 2.6 on all eight cores, I know mines not a monster machine but it does the job,
However now you have really got me thinking with this SETFSB, if I set it to 3.0, whould it idle at that?? and then increase when I overload the system, or should I set it to about 2.8, knowing it wil top out at about 3-3.1, guess there is only one way to find out and that's try it, will be back with results
m
l
October 29, 2013 10:49:31 AM

Yeah I think I'll give that setfsb a wide birth, it looks a little too in-depth to me, I'm not a power user although I should be by now and do not want to tinker with it till I understand it
m
l
!