Sign in with
Your question

4850 overheating at 100% fanspeed !! help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 20, 2008 3:04:13 PM

I've got very high temps with my ASUS 4850 in the last 2-3 weeks...
Ive had my 4850 for 3 month. Everything waas ok for the first month, running cool temps with 40-60% fan speed , but latter it started to get 70C at 3d load and started to worry so i started to use the fan at 100%...

For the last 2-3 weeks, my temps no run 60C IDLE at 100% fan speed and got 96C at LOAD crashing my games...

Ireally need some support ...
October 20, 2008 3:11:28 PM

How is the airflow on your case?
October 20, 2008 3:47:37 PM

Also, check that the heatsink on the card is making good contact with the GPU. Those things can shift and not make full contact and you loose thermal conductivity on your chip.
Related resources
October 20, 2008 3:59:57 PM

I had a NZXT Tempest case which is supposed to has a good airflow. I have a 26c room temp. I also dont want to get an aftermarket cooler untill I find out the real problem of the issue...

October 20, 2008 4:28:49 PM

If it were a cpu I'de have a few idea's. Sadly, the only time this happened to me with a gpu, it was literally a gpu problem. Sometimes they just cook themselves to death. I mean, you can try re-seating the heat sink, but that normally isn't a problem with vid cards. Particularly if the card was working just fine, and then it starts heating up one day. RMA if possible.
October 20, 2008 4:39:10 PM

When I removed the fan & heatsinks off my brand new 4870's to install my waterblocks I couldn't believe how poor the oem compound was on the chip. First thing you should look at is replacing the thearmal compound with some good stuff.

70c is normal for the card under load but high 90's I would say is to high.
October 20, 2008 4:39:17 PM

80-90º is average
115º is threshhold
127º burnout
October 20, 2008 4:57:50 PM

probably gpu has gone bad

i would RMA
October 20, 2008 4:58:22 PM

^+1

Probably OK. You could also put new thermal compound, as someone suggested. That really helped my previous cards, so I do it every time I get a new card.
October 20, 2008 5:12:23 PM

I had a X1900XTX do exactly the same thing. I removed it and blew out the heatsink. I found a huge amount of lint/dust had collected at the end that air is drawn into. When I blew it out I got a strip of what looked like dirt color cotton batting out out it. This lint was limiting the amount of air being drawn in by the fan. After cleaning it, my temperatures returned to the same as they had been when the card was new.

The funny thing is this happened in a relatively short amount of time (3 months) considering I'm away for more than half the time.

So to make a long story longer, try cleaning the dust out of the heatsink and fan assembly.
October 20, 2008 5:21:34 PM

well I would just rma it.
maybe they would give you the 4850 with aftermarket heatsink :D 
October 20, 2008 6:15:01 PM

realyeti I like a lot of others that have posted back to you about your problem fill you have some kind of heat problem.

techgeek has a very good suggestion could be just dust build up in the fin's of the gpu

the next thing I would try sense I don't know the mobo you are using,is check how close the northbridge heatsink is to the gpu,and sense most mfg never put a fan on the northbridge.and they say they don't need it. try running the pc for 30 minutes and then take side case off and touch the northbridge heatsink and see if it is real hot.maybe as simple as putting a $3.00 fan on the northbridge.hope this helps you out
October 20, 2008 6:48:18 PM

Have you OCed your CPU?? if you have increased your PCI voltage or MHC the VGA will also overheat. I have a X1950 that at standard PCI voltage stays at 46-50 Idle. But if i put 0,10V in the PCI voltage it bumps to 65-70 with the same Fan speed.
October 23, 2008 7:35:37 PM

I think XPERTVISION has a better cooling than ASUS one. My idle temp is around 44 C and under load reaches 55 C. Performance wise there is no issue......i think XPERTVSION is a good brand
November 28, 2008 10:20:09 PM

I got the exact same problem with my ASUS 4850. Worked perfectly for about 4 months, idling around low 50's with 50% fanspeed. Suddenly today, it started idling high 50's even with 60% fanspeed. Worst part is that when I was gaming, it hit 90's!! Since I didn't do it when I first bought it, I just applied MX compound. But, it didn't seem to help with the temps at all. After hearing your story, I think I'm going to stay away from ASUS cards from now on. I guess mobos are really their specialty.
November 29, 2008 11:56:34 AM

evongugg said:
80-90º is average
115º is threshhold
127º burnout

Please do not reply here if you don't know anything about the subject. What you are telling is total non sense.
Mine is running at 30 idle and 40 load, 30% fan speed.
November 29, 2008 11:58:10 AM

Techgeek has got a good point there. Either do that or RMA the card.
November 29, 2008 1:12:03 PM

I'm using MSI HD4850..
Idle 40-50C
Load 60C
November 29, 2008 2:09:13 PM

Every card out there could be running as cool as the Fonz if the manufacturers would dump those stupid little centrifugal fans and the stupid cowling with the stupid blingy graphics, and put a damn rotary fan right on top of the damn chip! You think you can get all of the dust out from beneath that cowling by blowing compressed air in the fan? Ha!

Who the hell wants to pull and disassemble their card every time they want to clean it? :sarcastic: 

GRRRRRRR! :fou: 
December 4, 2008 7:40:43 PM

take off the heatsink, make sure its not cloggged with dust, mine was, dropped my temps a lot after i cleaned it. reapply thermal paste, and try again. should help big time
February 9, 2009 11:03:29 AM

Hi there.
I'm new to this site, but so far I have enjoyed reading your feedback on this particular issue.
However, I would like to say just how suprised I am to see that I apperantly am the only one with a rather extreme example.
I bought my new computer approximately 4 months ago, with the graphics cards being 2*Radeon 4850 with Crossfire, and even back then the idling temperature of my GPU was around 80c, and would rise to high 90's, and sometimes cross over 100c.
These past few days I've been trying to figure out what might be the cause (do I not have sufficient cooling in my tower, etc?), invested a neat sum in extra coolers. However, none of this seems to help - infact the temperature of the gpu keeps rising.
Last night, when I was playing some Burnout Paradise, I got 3 error messages coming from the GPU's, saying that the GPU would reset, and asked me if I wanted to send the report to ATI.

I dont know too much about computers, but I've tried flashing my BIOS, downloading the latest drivers, updated everything which I could imagine having to do with the temperature. I've even tried enabling manuel control of the GPU fan speed, set it to 100% which makes too much noise, but still the heat keeps rising past 100c when I play something that requires the GPU to run fast.

Tonight, after work, I will try to blowout everything, and I really hope it works!
If it doesn't, should I try RMA'ing the cards, or what should be my next move?

Kind regards,

Flixe
February 9, 2009 9:30:45 PM

Fixed!

Blew out my cards with a air compressor, and they now run at 50-60c idling, and around 70c when working.

Thanks for the tip. :) 
April 6, 2009 12:40:51 AM

I am so glad I found this thread! My card I applied was shutting the whole computer down with temps of 115c!!! I disassembled the card to find that the thermal paste on my VisionTek 4850 was all dry and cracked. Luckily I have an old tube of artic silver. After using compressed air and cleaning the gunk off the heatsink and gpu, and applied the thermal paste. At load I was shutting down...now I idle at 45C with full load at 57c with the fan at 100%. I don't mind the noise. Thanks
July 2, 2009 5:28:23 PM

its the third and same problem , i have Asus 4850 5 month old , my temp is rising over 85C, earlier it used to be 60-65C. I am getting flickring on screen and my game crashes.
July 16, 2009 5:15:34 AM

mmm....ive been having this same exact problem and Ive been looking into aftermarket coolers because Im worried about frying my card...guess I should just try reapplying the thermal paste first before I spend any money...
July 19, 2009 4:29:26 AM

I will check into that too... but a lot of peoples are forgetting that crossfire setup take the temperatures 15C higher. For my part, I have put a 120 mm fan at one inch of the cards sending fresh air and my temps are never crossing 90C anymore.

I get to 85C in Crysis, but that's under the worst load... not to mention my cards are Asus TOP 4850 and are OC at 675 MHz. I am idling right now at 54C right now, but I was 5C lower 2 weeks ago (48C). I will check the thermal paste too.

Anyway, 4850 gpu are designed to work under really great temps.

"80-90º is average
115º is threshhold
127º burnout"

Even if these are the norm for the old cards, the gpu should be able to work in the same conditions.

M-Ajesty, Evongugg is right.
July 23, 2009 7:22:24 PM

so i just applied a thin layer of this cheap Dynex Thermal Paste I had sitting around (bought form Best Buy) and wanted to know how long should I be waiting before I put the card back in and fire up the card?
July 23, 2009 7:30:54 PM

ahslan said:
so i just applied a thin layer of this cheap Dynex Thermal Paste I had sitting around (bought form Best Buy) and wanted to know how long should I be waiting before I put the card back in and fire up the card?

You're supposed to wait?!? Oops. I've always put the paste on and fired up.

Probably obvious, but reapplying new paste works well for a 4870 too. AS5 dropped temps 3-5* load is now 62*.
July 23, 2009 9:29:09 PM

damn...well i fired up the pc and started gaming and it seems like changing the thermal had absolutely no effect...guess imma have to get an aftermarket cooler...fail...

edit: actually, i think now the card even runs hotter...fml
July 23, 2009 10:29:59 PM

ahslan, maybe you put too much paste on.
July 23, 2009 10:43:53 PM

you guys sure 127 is burnout, when my heatsink had a screw break it was running at 192 load for a week before i realised
July 24, 2009 3:23:09 AM

I actually made sure to put on a very thin layer...it was tough (my first time) but I felt I got most of the gpu very evenly (there were a couple of thin streaks from using the card)
November 26, 2009 2:45:42 PM

rynoc said:
you guys sure 127 is burnout, when my heatsink had a screw break it was running at 192 load for a week before i realised

192 celsius?!! you sure that's not in Fahrenheit. Solder melts at like 185 or something.
November 27, 2009 12:57:23 AM

Hahahahaha, +1 to the guy above me. I took the heatsinks off both my 8800gtx's just to re-apply them with some arctic silver and when i put them back on and opened Sandra to see the temps, I almost crapped myself cause both went up to about 120*. I actually took them both out and removed both heatsinks to make sure i didn't mess something up...... Well, the only thing I messed up was looking at the farenheit as opposed to celcius in sandra. I laughed for like an hour cause I caused myself so much extra work. I always look at celcius, like, that is how my brain is programmed for computer temps, so when i saw the 120* farenheit I bugged out and forgot I go by celcius normally.
November 28, 2009 7:27:35 PM

so its been a while since Ive updated you guys but i just wanted to let you know that what solved all my problems was taking off that plastic cover over the heatsink to clean it...when i did this, I noticed SOOO much dust that I didnt see when I was cleaning the cooler...this dust was covering all the vents on the heatsink therefore not allowing any cooling watsoever...once I did this and booted up, my temps dropped tremendously (I think the new paste helped as well)....I also bought a Thermaltake TMG AT1 cooler, which is made for x1800s and x1900s, and realized that it wouldnt fit right out of the box, so I plan on using a dremel to make the cooler fit the 4850...havent done so yet though cuz I bought the cooler before realizing that the stock cooler was totally clogged up by dust (i had used a compressed air can before, but it didnt do the trick until I removed the plastic cover...i reapplied the cover once i finished cleaning)
December 3, 2010 10:14:38 PM

I realize this thread is very old, but I am having the exact same problems with the ASUS 4850 (just not as quickly as the original poster experienced problems)

I could play WoW and no shutoff.

My wife could play Sims 3 and occasionally over heated and would turn the pc off.

While playing a Beta of an mmo, the temps were very high, very quickly.

I took apart the video card, blew out what dust I could see, cleaned off all old thermal paste, applied new thermal paste.

The computer doesnt shut off now, but the vid card still runs hot 105+ and I am at a loss as to what to do.

The poster mentioned taking off the cover over the heatsink---how? The little picture on the underside of the vid card? Is that what hes talking about?

What else could I do? Anyone reccomend buying a aftermarket cooler? Looking for a cheap fix.
April 8, 2011 1:32:25 AM

enderzshadow said:
I realize this thread is very old, but I am having the exact same problems with the ASUS 4850 (just not as quickly as the original poster experienced problems)

I could play WoW and no shutoff.

My wife could play Sims 3 and occasionally over heated and would turn the pc off.

While playing a Beta of an mmo, the temps were very high, very quickly.

I took apart the video card, blew out what dust I could see, cleaned off all old thermal paste, applied new thermal paste.

The computer doesnt shut off now, but the vid card still runs hot 105+ and I am at a loss as to what to do.

The poster mentioned taking off the cover over the heatsink---how? The little picture on the underside of the vid card? Is that what hes talking about?

What else could I do? Anyone reccomend buying a aftermarket cooler? Looking for a cheap fix.

I have the ATI 4850, and I am looking at this:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6540
!