Have a base - need a build

bigmjh

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Planning a new build around a CPU that I already have - Intel QX6850 (from brother for $225 :pt1cable: ) and Vista Ultimate (also from brother) and 2 Dell 22" UltraSharp monitors (1680 x 1050 - 5ms) that I already have.

Here's what I'm planning ... very little gaming, some video rendering, Photoshop CS2, MS Office 2007 (mainly Excel & Word), some web design / maintenance and it'll be used as a media server in network with Tivo, PS3 and HDTV.

I'm looking at:

DIMMS: 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR2 - looking at Mushkin
Case: Full tower - probably Antec 1200 (or 900)
PS: 650w - 750w - Brand ???
Motherboard: Need some recommendations
Graphics card: Maybe a 4850 (if that wouldn't be "overkill") - I need dual DVI outputs (possibly HDMI also)
Cooling: Considering (just considering) going with a liquid cooling system ... any suggestions?
HD: Looking to do dual 750GB in a Raid0 array ... probably WD

I know that I got a good CPU at a really good price and would like a build that will fully utilize it's capabilities ... but still keep costs within reason. Any and all recommendations will be appreciated and duly considered.

Thanks!

gators1223

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
brand on ram is not that important so long as it isn't like cheaporam100
Psu look at corsair they have good offerings at that area
probably a p45 like asus p5q pro or gigabyte p45-ds3r
that would probably be a fine card for the job
i find liquid a hassle unless you plan to overclock alot it is really unnessicary just get a xigmateck hsf
for hard drives get the wd 640gb drives they are very fast and fairly cheap

kitsilencer

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
You don't need liquid cooling for your specs. Not unless you're overclocking, have multiple GPUs setup, and are using a budget case.

bigmjh

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Thanks everyone - your suggestions are appreciated. Like I said, I'm looking to maximize the capabilities of this CPU while still keeping a budget in mind. I know that to fully realize what this chip can do I'd have to play around with over-clocking it to get max stable speed. But, for what I'll be doing, I don't think that would be necessary.

Question - the PC Power PC610W - is it fairly quiet?

Thanks