MuffanMan101

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Im debating on rather to purchase and SSD and replace my current 320gb scorpio black

I see performance charts but those dont mean anything to me, what i would like to know is if there will be significant speed difference between a good SSD and my scorpio black that i currently have in my laptop.

sub mesa

Distinguished
The difference in I/O performance is huge, yes. Not 20% faster, not 100% faster, but 10000% faster, when you're using it as System disk.

Benchmarks are hard to interpret though, and having a fast disk doesn't mean all tasks happen instantly; bottlenecks exist both real and artificial (timers in applications). But SSDs have seen the biggest performance improvement in the history of computing i would say; not counting pre-microprocessor age. :p

sub mesa

Distinguished
Get a good SSD though, not a crappy one. Intel, Sandforce, Micron, those you should be looking for. Don't stare yourself blind on all the 192809483290483908420 different brands, there are only a few controllers chips out there; just like its nVidia/ATi on the graphics cards; the exact brand (Club3D,Asus,MSI,Gainward,etc) is just the label and packaging; it changes nothing on the normalized performance of the product.