Sign in with
Your question

BUGS BUGS AND MORE BUGS

Last response: in Windows XP
February 28, 2011 10:18:39 PM

I am not sure where to post this, so I hope this is in the right place. I am having some issues with my PC and can not afford to take it to a PC shop. I had Mcaffe, it expired. I put Viper on for 30 day free trial. It never found a thing. DLd AVG free 2011 and now it keeps finding this trojan back door 13. I am running XP pro on a custom PC, believe it is Pentium 3, 1 gig ddr sdram, think its an asus mb. I do play the "apps" associated with FB. I am having T E R R I B L E cable connection ( I believe it is 8 up 1 down if memory serves me). I got vonage recently also. Cable will be out tomorrow AM, but this virus thing has my mind cranking. When I run malwarebytes it finds nothing. Is there viruses etc causing my pc to not run correctly etc. Cable company has me using their equipment because I was SICK of them saying it was my equip (lynksis router and dlink modem). I now have their morotola wirelss modem and things are no better, if not worse. I also just defragged the other day. Let me know what else you may need to know. Thank you in advance!

More about : bugs bugs bugs

a b 8 Security
February 28, 2011 10:39:24 PM

Try running through the malware guide in my signature.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 1, 2011 9:38:47 AM

You could also try tdsskiller.
Related resources
March 3, 2011 12:52:52 AM

Ok folks. I am going to look at the mods thing. Cable company had a HUGE problem and now the pc is staying online. But for almost a month they have blamed EVERYTHING but themselves! Simply because the field does not KIT with the Techs. It has been a long and trying month! So other than PC running slow, it's staying connected. It is on a gig, but was advised against adding more. I will not add more unless I can get it free. I'm also back to my own equipment and amazingly it works! LOL Thank you for the input. BTW, what antivirus do you guys use, just wondering? Thanks.
a b 8 Security
March 3, 2011 1:08:29 AM

Personally, I use Avast freeware on most of my PCs.
March 3, 2011 1:12:29 AM

Thank you! I have never heard of it. I will look into it. I ran into a little snag. I can't figure out how to get to safe mode. My hdd is split with Ubuntu and when I press f8 it gives me a list of things to pick from but none of them say safe mode.
a b 8 Security
March 3, 2011 3:32:47 AM

What are the options you see, when you tap the delete key on startup?
March 3, 2011 6:26:10 PM

Working on cleaning out the PC today. Question is, what do I do with stuff when you do a disk clean up? I think right now it's compressing them. I've tried to research and I believe it is kind of up in the air. Running malwarebytes as I type. AVG ran at noon and was clean as a whistle. Will look into the rest you said after malwarebytes is done. Will also re-DL adobe flash player so it doesn't have that extra tid bit it stuck in there last time. Got rid of 1 or 2 programs I didn't need. Thanks again for all the input! I'm sure I'll be back later LOL
March 3, 2011 7:05:52 PM

When I hit delete it takes me to the bios. If you want the exact options when I do F8 let me know and I'll do it again. Thanks.
a b 8 Security
March 3, 2011 7:15:27 PM

When you tap F8 on startup, you should get a screen that looks like this. Then you can get into safe mode with networking.
March 3, 2011 7:19:00 PM

It is dual with Ubuntu, it gives me "ubuntu" choices, here is what i get when i start on f8 once pc boots

PM-ST3160023A
Sn-TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182M
USB 2.0 CardReader CF
" " MS
" "SD
" "smxd0100
a b 8 Security
March 3, 2011 7:36:33 PM

Ok, I'm not the most experienced with Unbutu. But if you're using the Grub loader, choose to boot windows. Then start tapping F8.
March 3, 2011 8:07:51 PM

I use Avast on all my systems at home and at work. it's free, and i've never had virus issues... im not so keen on AVG 2011, seems very unstable and we have stopped recommending it to our customers as well.
March 3, 2011 8:15:37 PM

Thank you, both of you. Maybe I need to pick an ubuntu guru's brain for the startup issue. I will try the way you recommended though first. I appreciate the input on the antivirus. I can always take the AVG free out. Thank you again!
a b 8 Security
March 3, 2011 9:22:26 PM

You're welcome.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 3, 2011 9:24:33 PM

gyspygirl said:
It is dual with Ubuntu, it gives me "ubuntu" choices, here is what i get when i start on f8 once pc boots

PM-ST3160023A
Sn-TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182M
USB 2.0 CardReader CF
" " MS
" "SD
" "smxd0100

Pick PM-ST3160023A and then start tapping F8 again. You might need to select Windows and tap F8 again.
March 4, 2011 12:05:25 AM

Ok you know it couldn't be that easy right?! Well, I did as Grumpy said(WTG Grumpy!), and I got the window aford talked about, selected with networking and was all sorts of excited to get things rolling AND THEN............my screen says Out Of Range 60hz/63hz! I COULDN"T BELIEVE IT! So... next? I'm assuming I will have to change some setting in my LCD. Thank you again to everyone for all of their input!
a b 8 Security
March 4, 2011 12:15:08 AM

You can change the refresh rate in normal windows. You should see an option in your graphics properties.
March 4, 2011 12:20:04 AM

Would this be in my nvidia settings when i right click desk top and go to nvidia?
March 4, 2011 12:23:14 AM

Found the hz thing in nvidia, I get scared to poke around LOL afraid ill do something, but what do i change it to? it doesn't go lower than 60
a b 8 Security
March 4, 2011 12:26:41 AM

What is your monitor?

60Hz is pretty common for most LCD monitors.
March 4, 2011 12:30:38 AM

KDS is on the front, if I lower resolution to 720x576 i get the option of 50.
a b 8 Security
March 4, 2011 12:31:50 AM

What was the refresh rate set to previously?

Is there a model listed on the back of the monitor?
March 4, 2011 12:51:22 AM

was at 60 and model is Rad 5x
a b 8 Security
March 4, 2011 12:56:47 AM

Try 75Hz. That is what the optimal settings are.
http://www.kdsusa.com/FAQLCD.asp#10

There is also a description on how to use the 'adapter default' setting in that link.
March 4, 2011 1:02:49 AM

Oh, cool, I had no idea LOL I got it from a friend, brought it home plugged it in and it worked so I just left things alone LOL! Thank you again! Ill try it and the safemode again and see what we get!
March 4, 2011 1:10:34 AM

This is some joke that someone is playing on me right?! Just tried to safe mode thing and it still says the same on the monitor. I have a sneaky feeling this is another Ubuntu doing!
a b 8 Security
March 4, 2011 1:19:16 AM

Try going down to 56.
March 4, 2011 1:26:14 AM

I do have an old CRT (the big monsters) that i use for the old ubuntu tank if I need to swap out. Brb after I lower it. :) 
a b 8 Security
March 4, 2011 1:28:29 AM

Ok. That's certainly an option.
March 4, 2011 1:54:39 AM

LOL let's put it this way, nope, nope and nope! I tried so many different things I honestly don't even know what I've tried! I tried CRT and it went black and all the lights flashed that are for adjusting. I tried again and lowered the hz to 50 and nope. So no matter what I did it didn't work. The resolution has to be in sync with the hz too. I just now tried the lcd and put it back at optimum speks and things went all sidweways for a few. When it came back I guessed the res was too high so I lowerd it and here we are. SO why the bleeping blazes it won't show on the screen, I have no idea.
March 4, 2011 2:00:25 AM

penguintech said:
I use Avast on all my systems at home and at work. it's free, and i've never had virus issues... im not so keen on AVG 2011, seems very unstable and we have stopped recommending it to our customers as well.

Hi, I have an issue floating under general I think. It's an ubuntu issue. If you can find it, maybe you can jump in as well. If you can't find it, I can find the info and repost it to you this way. But at the moment the biggest issue is I took the hdd's out and now have none! I messed with the jumpers and such and now I have no hdd at all to even try to figure out the original issue. :cry: 
!