Overclocking confusion

hello ever helpful TH people!

been reading several stickys, posts and websites regarding overclocking and its slightly boggled my mind with all the options! lol

basically im building my PC this week (stats below) and im unsure on a few points;

PC SPEC

MOBO - Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4

CPU - intel i5 750

GPU - XFX ATI Radeon HD 5850 XXX 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card PSU -

PSU - OCZ StealthXStream 700w Silent SLI Ready ATX2 Power Supply

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C7 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

HDD - Samsung F31TB - F3 SATA-II INTERNAL HDD

OPTICAL - LiteOn IHOS104-37 SATA Blu-Ray and DVD Reader Drive

OS - Windws 7 home premium 64bit

UNIT - Antec Three Hundred Case

My questions are;

I went for the xfx xxx edition of the 5850 as i managed to find it for only a small amount more than regular 5850. Is it true it may have better cooling? is it worth OCing as well as the cpu? if so wil i need a cooler for GPU too?

I was thinking of overclocking the i5 to around 3.6ghz using a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler . im right in saying ill need thermal paste too? If i OC the CPU should i leave the GPU?

thanks for any help!
4 answers Last reply
More about overclocking confusion
  1. I do not OC graphics cards. I find that they run hot enough at stock speeds.
  2. jsc said:
    I do not OC graphics cards. I find that they run hot enough at stock speeds.

ok thanks mate

was thinking of just doing the processor as gpu should be quick enough. seen people up the core from 725 (755 on xxx) to 1000 which seems bit crazy. will cook the card id imagine!

i5 i have read is quite easily clockable and stable right?
  3. Hey. Just because I don't doesn't mean you can't. Many OC their graphics cards quite successfully.
  4. Quote:
    With a single 5850, there's no need to overclock the cpu.
    You dont need thermal paste either, the stuff that comes with the 212+ is very good.

oh so perhaps not overclock either then?

I may use the intel turboe technology as id imagine that doesnt invalidate the warranty?

thanks for the thermal paste info, saves a few extra £££
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking