How low should my Core Voltage go?

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Right well i had no problems overclocking for the first time (which is now), running stable at 3.6, Everest is reading my CPU temp at about 35, (thats me rough estimating :p), my core voltage is at 1.096V, according to CPU-Z, should it be lower? Or is too low bad? (power shortage?!), in the mean time while your answering my question, ill keep pushing it down lower....

BTW how do i take a pic of CPU-Z? And where does it go on windows 7, should make it easier to post my info

Solution

I found that I got no decrease in temps below 1.125 so tho, it was stable at lower voltages, it wasn't doing anything for me so bounced it back up to 1.125

how can i test my overclock to check if its stable?

Well I use 3 tests....in order of time...

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
When i put it on 1.086 yesterday, booted up fine, but when i started to play games....i got a bluescreen, how can i test my overclock to check if its stable? Right now i set it on 1.208 V just to get stable, but i havent been able to push it any lower since i cant test it stability, but 1.208 is stable for me ATM

How can i check any improvements on my CPU? I overclocked it and i dident see TOO much of a performance boost, either that or something else in my system is slowing me down....hmmm

EDIT : Oh, and what happens to my multiplier? Before i started overclocking, i had cpu clocking on auto, so my multiplier was x12, yesterday when i turned off the cpu clocking to manual, multiplier went to x21, and now its at x20, im using an i7 920 D0 btw, is the mutliplier supposed to jump like that? o.o
I dont think i mentioned this, but im running a x20 mutliplier, at a bus speed of 182.2 MHz

pluke the 2

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
CPUZ-2.png

This is my lowest w/ stability..

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I'm afraid for an i7 that's not exactly what I'd call over clocked. :D

They'll practically run at that MHz simply with Turbo enabled.

This is one of mine mildly OC'd with decent voltage and temps running under 100% full CPU load all the time.........

i7920oc.png

I found that I got no decrease in temps below 1.125 so tho, it was stable at lower voltages, it wasn't doing anything for me so bounced it back up to 1.125

how can i test my overclock to check if its stable?

Well I use 3 tests....in order of time consumed....if ya pass one, move onto the next

Linx - Run 20 passes....takes about 5 minutes.
OCCT - Takes an hour
Prime95 - (Blend to test memory and CPU) - Run overnight (12 hours)

If I pass those, later on I will do small and large FFT's

Solution