Sign in with
Your question

CPU Temperature/PC Probe II

Last response: in Overclocking
a c 128 C Monitor
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2010 12:49:11 AM

I've been using PC Probe II, which is a program from ASUS to monitor the tempurature of my CPU and have noticed a couple strange things.

1) When ever I power down and work inside the enclosure (unplugged) and reconnect, the first time I log into windows, PC Probe II gives me 5C-10C cooler temperatures than normal. Even if I leave it on for hours, and run the CPU heavy with Prime95. The moment I restart, the temperatures read 5C-10C higher than before.

2) I've also noticed that when I go into the BIOS and check out the hardware monitor, it shows higher temperatures than I normally see with PC Probe II at idle.

I was wondering if you guys had a better monitoring program, or any other suggestions.

More about : cpu temperature probe

a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
January 3, 2010 3:22:32 AM

Yep, here is a list of proggies.

HW Monitor (my fav)
Coretemp
RealTemp (next fav)

Mobo temp monitoring software and the sensors they use are pretty inaccurate.

Benching software and such is very varied. I use these for each purpose:
These are pretty standard and used by many.
Monitoring the PC temps overall: HW monitor aka hardware monitor
CPUZ for CPU info
GPUZ for GPU info
CPU only: Real Temp
GPU only: ATI Tool, I have a Nivida GTX280, so it works on Nvidia

Loading/benching tools:
CPU loaders: Prime95 and OCCT
GPU Loaders: ATI Tool and the best one is Furmark, nothing pushes the GPU harder right now.
Benching for overall graphics/gaming performance is 3DMark06
m
l
a c 128 C Monitor
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2010 3:37:29 AM

After installing HW Monitor I can now see the Core temperatures of each core of the CPU, which are much lower than what PC Probe shows. But i do see there is a CPUTIN, which I'm unsure what it is that is much closer to what PC Probe shows.
m
l
Related resources
a c 128 C Monitor
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2010 3:47:41 AM

Should I be watching the CPUTIN or Core temperatures?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
January 3, 2010 1:55:06 PM

Core temps.
m
l
a c 128 C Monitor
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2010 3:50:07 PM

Thanks, one last questions.

I've always heard people talk about idle and load temps with prime95. Is the recommended Load temp of below 70C refering to core temps that most talk about for the i7 920?

The cores show nearly 10C below CPUTIN under load (which is what PC Probe II showed me), I just don't want to fry the CPU.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
January 3, 2010 8:50:21 PM

Load temp is like 73C max for the 920. You can pass it for short benching runs etc, but having it run there for long periods is crazy. If it loads with Prime at 73, your fine for normal use.
m
l
!