DVI to HDMI converters and Vis versa any difference ?

Last response: in Home Theatre
February 2, 2005 3:31:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

DVI to HDMI converters and Vis versa any difference ?

Just want to know if i get a TV with DVI and or HDMI only, if i get a
converter would their be any difference will my HD Movie play work
just as good and give me HD movies on my TV ?

I know their are no HD players or Blueray ones to test this but just
like to know how much of a difference DVI and HDMI is ?

becuase i know their will be DVI and HDMI only devices just would like
to know what my options are.

Thanks.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 7:48:11 PM

"Helllo" <scampy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> DVI to HDMI converters and Vis versa any difference ?
>
> Just want to know if i get a TV with DVI and or HDMI only, if i get a
> converter would their be any difference will my HD Movie play work
> just as good and give me HD movies on my TV ?
>
> I know their are no HD players or Blueray ones to test this but just
> like to know how much of a difference DVI and HDMI is ?
>
> becuase i know their will be DVI and HDMI only devices just would like
> to know what my options are.

AIUI the underlying digital transport scheme is the same for DVI and HDMI -
but the connector scheme is different (as HDMI can also carry digital audio,
and can't carry analogue video?)

HOWEVER - HDMI includes HDCP (copy protection), whereas it is in an option
with DVI (you need DVI with HDCP) If you were to buy a DVI TV with no HDCP
capability you wouldn't be able to plug in an HDMI HDVD/BluRay (or in the UK
Sky Digital HDTV) device and be guaranteed pictures.

However AIUI DVI with HDCP and HDMI are pretty equivalent - apart from the
HDMI connector carrying audio.

It seems that HDMI is the consumer "digital interconnect" of the future - so
it would probably be best to go for a set with at least one of these,
ideally two? Certainly in the UK it seems our first HDTV provider (Sky
Digital) is only going to provide guaranteed HD outputs that are HDMI
/DVI+HDCP compatible. (It is not clear if there will be analogue component
HD outputs that are blanked for some content, or just standard def analogue
outputs)

Steve
!