Did I Damage my Core i5-750?

BillAnderson702

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Ok I'm editing my original post that I made in a complete panic after staying up all night working on setting up my new computer.

I have a GA-P55A-UD4P Mobo and a Core i5-750 with Coolermaster Hyper 212+ heat sink single fan. I tried the included Smartboost overclocking program included with the Gigabyte motherboard. It overclocked the CPU to 3.8Ghz. I had the hardware monitor running when I started Prime 95 to see if the temps would stay under 60c with a full workload. It was around 49c on all the cores. Well as soon as I hit start the temp skyrocketed! I heard my 70c buzzer (set in the bios). I quickly pressed the power button to my computer as I panicked. Stupid thing to do because it took a good 4 seconds or so to shutdown the way I have it set up. With the mess of temperature numbers, I dont know how high it got because it was all a blur. I think I may have gotten up into the upper 80s?

What kind of damage do you think I did? Is there any way to test it? Right now I'm typing on the computer and it is working fine as I got it back to factory settings (26c idle). I think I best go about overclocking it through the bios, the old way!

I just got the processor from Tiger Direct. If you were me, would you try to return it? If the processor cruds out in a year, would Intel's warranty cover it?

All insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bill Anderson

BillAnderson702

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Thanks a ton for the response. I didn't smell anything burnt, and I am trying to avoid disassembling the computer unless completely necessary. Just getting that cpu cooler installed nicely took me an hour!

Is there any software I can run to test damage?

Thanks for the link, I ran across it and skimmed it briefly before using that stupid overclock utility. Last time I'm using that. Normally, I am cautious when I experiment with this stuff.

Have a good new year there.

Bill

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

Torture test your CPU with Small FFTs test of Prime95.

Download Prime95 here: http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

BillAnderson702

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
ok that sounds like a good plan. I started it and it seems to be running fine. I'll post the results after it is finished. (The temps are looking fine without the overclock of course!) I am going to go to bed. I need to catch some Zzzz.

Thanks again.
- Bill

rapture7

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Hi Bill,
It is very unlikely that anything was damaged, even if the processor did reach the high 80's. The auto-overclocking programs have a habit of setting the vcore stupidly high which is what will have got those temps so high in Prime95. But I wouldn't worry about it, I've heard of people running their i5's in the 80's for days before being told that was too high, so a few seconds won't have done any harm.
Cheers,
Adam

BillAnderson702

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Ok thanks guys for the posts!

Ok so the test went completely fine, temps were in their normal zones and none of the threads had any issues.

But...I do have a slight problem, but I'm unsure if it is related. My computer at random times emits a very short chirp from the speaker. (I belive it is the speaker but it could be the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1T Hard Drive. Not sure-Im gunna unplug the speaker and see if the noise still happens.)When it happens, it is often not when I'm doing anything intense on it, often just when I'm on the internet. It probably happens once or twice an hour when I’m on the computer. The day I did the overclocking, I did a number of changes to my computer including running CyberScrub. I have no idea if that my have accidentally deleted something it shouldn’t have. What are all your thoughts? (OMG it just made the chirp again!)

All help is appreciated. I want to work as many bugs out of this thing as I can before my 30 day-return options vaporize!

Bill Anderson

rapture7

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Do you have a sound card, if so, are the drivers up to date? It is most likely the speakers themselves or a driver issue. I have 5.1 Logitech speakers which create some strange noises at times, but i couldn't be bothered to send them back, so I just live with it lol

BillAnderson702

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I'm just using the onboard audio at this time, but im using 5.1 Logitech speakers.

The chirp sound has seemed to have stopped. I don't know, but I'm glad about that!
Maybe it was just my new computer breaking in, lol. If it starts up again, I'll try to fix it though.

Thanks for the support!!

Bill

GBleezy

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Hey there! I too am using a Core i5-750 with a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus!

Now the top temp in the i5 specs is 72.7C...however, i don't know what that means really...because I think you can run CPU's much hotter for long time. They all have lots of thermal controls and safeguards built in to the architecture...so if it's too hot it'll just shut down or something right? I ran between 78C-88C with a couple peaks to 90 using this Everest test...anyways, i got bored and stopped the test at 15min. One thing i noticed tho is during full load my multiplier drops to 21x and this 15min was run at 3.6GHz...however as soon as test stop...my multiplier jumps to 24x and my system idles at 4.0GHz (@nice and cool 20C). Howcome it does that?

edk128

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
It is unfair to others to return something you broke by not obeying Intel's specifications, not to be rude. Make so to always check voltages in BIOS when you use any auto-overclocking feature.

klh6686

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010

that's some pretty high voltage and pretty high temps... for comparison since I use the same hyper 212+ cooler, my i7 920 is at 3.9ghz but at 1.256 vcore. My temps barely touch low 70's c and my room is very very warm this time of the year with my case temp reading 28c. I did lap my cpu though, I know that helped a decent bit...