Sign in with
Your question

Hi CPU heat question's

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Heat
Last response: in CPUs
December 16, 2008 10:21:38 AM

I have gotten my new Acer Aspire 6530's CPU up as high as 79 C. It uses a AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual-core processor QL-60 (1.9Ghz, 1MB L2 cache). My question's are. Are these temps. to high? What is my CPU's heat threshold? What are safe temps to run at, and it seems like my CPU fan doesnt want to turn on but rarely when it wants to. I have been using Coretemp to monitor my temps is it posting correctly?

More about : cpu heat question

a b à CPUs
December 16, 2008 10:39:56 AM

That is too hot. If it is working at that reported temp, I'd say your software is not reporting correctly. The processor would shut down, and you would have all kinds of errors. How hot is the heatsink getting? If it is indeed that hot, you could not touch the heatsink without getting burned.
The fan is working off of the motherboard temp readings in the BIOS, which are likely much more accurate. What do the temp readings in the BIOS look like?
December 16, 2008 10:50:12 AM

i have went into my notebooks bios to try and look at things but my bios provide very limited information, and does not allow me to change but a few settings. My bios dont even report my cpu's temp. or any cpu settings. this is my first notebook and it was odd to find such limited info.
December 16, 2008 12:03:47 PM

Re you using laptop on a hard smooth surface? Most laptops have air inlet underneath, if placed on a fabric/soft surface you will restrict the airflow. If that is not the problem, check with Acer tech support.

Mike.
December 16, 2008 12:34:57 PM

mike99 said:
Re you using laptop on a hard smooth surface? Most laptops have air inlet underneath, if placed on a fabric/soft surface you will restrict the airflow. If that is not the problem, check with Acer tech support.

Mike.

I am using it on a evercool space station cooling pad
December 17, 2008 7:14:44 AM

Quote:
I am using it on a evercool space station cooling pad

Then you should contact Acer tech support for advice.

Mike.
!