E8500 vs Q6600 same price, what should i get?

mygyth

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
OK, so i know this looks like a clone post but i couldnt find the answer to this particular question anywhere.

SO, the E8500 and the Q6600 are $1 different, so close i dont care.
I love to game and want to play games like cysis and FEAR. I want to get into some low level video modelling / rendering at some stage but basically i play games, particuarlly WoW (i know, uber nerd, i dont care).

Alot of people have said on forums that because the extra 2 cores on the Q6600 are redundant, u should go the E8500.

My question is Why? how much could an extra 2 idle cores hurt? is there something that the E8500 does better? what sence is there in losing the extra 2 cores just to save $1?

Thankyou for your time :)

mi1ez

Splendid
^+1

the dual has a higher clock speed which most games like.

the quad will blaze through anything optimised for more than 2 cores and shoot the dual down like a dog.

mygyth

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Ty for quick reply :D

So as a gamer who will most likely not do serious Video rendering, i WILL find the E8500 works better for me?

Also, ive heard alot about getting a Quad to help with future games designed specifically for it. How much will an E8500 suffer when OC'ed to 4-4.4Ghz compared to the Q6600 also OC'd?

One other thing, i have heard it said that the Quads can become unstable when running dual or single thread prgrams as the cores fight to be used. Is this just a myth?

Zenthar

Distinguished
The "extra" 2 idle cores won't slow-down the PC (not significantly at least), the reason why the E8500 is better than the Q6600 for gaming is because of higher core/fsb speed.

mildiner86

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
then again wow will run fine on the quad core as its easy to run, u can OC the quad to 3 ghz happily and ive yet to finda game it truggles with i prefer the quad cause its faster at multi tasking does fine for gaming and sounds more cool to say ive got a quad core