Is my Lan port out of operation?

daok

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
I have a Asus P4C800 that haven't been used since I moved to my new house few months ago. I remember the Lan (RJ45 hole) was working fine in that time.

Now, I have a fresh format of this computer and I have install the initial driver that came with the motherboard CD.

My problem is that when I plug the RJ45 cable into the Lan socket, I see a orange light (as far as I remember it was green in the past) and Windows cannot find my router. I have done the command "ipconfig" and the mask and the gateway is not even the good one.

Does my network card ( well the LAN socket in my mother board) is broken?

*Detail : Windows tell me that my Lan is operational but "limited" and I see a lot of packet (million that make no sense when I double click in the Lan icon in the task bar...)

daok

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Oh, It's weird because I took off the RJ45 from an other PC to this one. So I am pretty sure the "source" is fine because the other PC work with Internet.

What do you suggest me sir?

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
IP adress isnt built into a hardware piece like network card, its assigned to it by (routers)DHCP server. For some reason its not happening on your PC, but it is really hard to determine the cause without actually being there. I hear there are problems with certain routers(their DHCPs) and PCs running Vista(what system do you use btw?). I personally use XP and never had a problem. The only suggestions I can give right now is to:

a) go to Device manager and see if theres any information about any problems with your Lan card(usually yellow exclamation sign next to it)

b) if you can than go into routers menu and check if there is any access-limiting function enabled, like MAC-adress filtering, and whether your LanCards mac adress is on the list of allowed ones

c) wait for others to come with something more constructive...

daok

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Computer is Windows XP 32 bits. Fresh format. I have a board : Asus P4C800. I have only installed the Driver from the original CD yet. Than, no connection was visible in the Nothing else has been installed in the control panel>network. So, I installed from the CD where the driver was the 3Com GigaBit Driver and something appear. That's all. I see no yellow mark in the device manager.

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
OK, last thing: control panel/network connections you should have your Local Area Connection there. When you open it you should get a window with 2 tabs: General and Support

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
lol, clicked submit by mistake, anyway:

control panel/network connections you should have your Local Area Connection there. When you open it you should get a window with 2 tabs: General and Support, when you get the Support tab you should have some info there, Address type, IP address etc, and a Details button. Go for details, and take a screen and post it here, or just type if you prefer. You also have a Repair button which you can try...

daok

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
When I try to renew after release all I have this error message : An error occured while renewing the interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact DHCP, Request time out.