Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Watercooling, viable option on a budget?

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
January 4, 2010 12:27:26 AM

hey all,

so those of you who know me will know that i am always looking for more performance. im constantly Overclocking and upgrading my rig.
ive just ordered a second 4890 GPU for crossfire, and now im not sure where to go next in terms if improving my rig.

one thing im considering is watercooling, and im looking for some advice on the matter.

firstly, i am in NZ. enthusast computer parts are hard to come by at reasonable prices. i dont earn a great deal of money, but i do tend to spend most of it on upgrades. i need to know if i can get a decent watercooliong rig together without spending a months wages to do so.

questions:

should kits be totally avoided?
as i said, finding stuff is hard here, so a kit would save my time. but ive heard that you generally get at least one weak component. i do tend to upgrade stuff part-by-part, so i could always replace stuff over time as i have more money. is this possible with a watercooling kit?

specifically, i see this kit.
this is a very resonable price, and if its a good kit i would happily purchase it. the reviews seem possitive. but id like to hear from you guys too.

adding video cards to a loop?
can i later down the line, add my crossfired 4890's to a watercooling loop without compromising the cpu cooling? if so, is it a simple task, or a sizeable upgrade?

safe?
i go to alot of LANs. is it safe to move a system arround with a watercooling system inside it. i know they are self contained, but i wouldnt want the whole thing coming apart and ruining my rig.

i know alot of this has been answered before, but i am specifically looking to discuss some options with someone in the know. being as my options are much more limited here.

im undecided yet, but if i can get a good watercooling system hooked up for my CPU for less than 300 dollars (NZD), that will allow for future upgrading (adding VGA cards) its something i will very likely go for.

thanks to anyone who read through it :) 
a c 86 K Overclocking
January 4, 2010 1:47:24 AM

Hiyas, welcome back. You'll need a 120x2 for just the CPU and a 120x2 for your GPUs.

Your dilemma is the heat from the two GPUs are more than the CPU. So your CPU water would be warmer than it can be. If money is an issue, your in a tough spot.

Cooling just the GPUs is going to be $US about $180 for JUST the GPU blocks. Your CPU block will be $50+ easy, rads $45 each (120x2 size) or you can buy a 120x4 rad for about $150. You will need a TOP pump for that, quiet a bit of tubibing and some restriction. It's $80 or so. Add tubing, fans, clamps and a res, add another $100.

You'll have problems doing just the CPU for $300 NZD, better bump it closer to $400.

I don't know of any good NZ stores off the top of my head, but there are a few.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 4, 2010 2:52:32 AM

thanks conundrum. that what i was afraid of.

i dont immedietly want to have my GPU's in the loop. i just want to start on the CPU, and add the GPU later on when i have the cash to make sure they wouldnt affect the CPU cooling to much.

but it sounds like this will be out of my price range.

looking at some sites, i can see some parts that may allow me to get just the cpu cooling for around 300, but so many options and im not sure what to look at.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
January 4, 2010 3:37:35 PM

well go for the cpu only first as wc'ing the gfx cards only reduces the noise and temps.
then if you upgrade ure gpu's alot you could go with non full cover blocks which can be used on multiple cards not just one specific card
m
l

Best solution

a c 86 K Overclocking
January 5, 2010 12:38:49 AM

It's proven hard to cool SLI or Xfire without FC blocks. Getting an MCW-60 to fit and get the hoses right is a real pain.

Welsh? Start building a list. Swiftech has everything you need. MCR 220 rad, GTZ CPU block, MCP655 pump, and the Mini res. You just gotta find suppliers. You find those, add $50 for tubing and fittings, there ya go.
a b K Overclocking
January 5, 2010 1:14:07 AM

thanks conumdrum, ill look around and see how much those parts will cost here.

hopefully it wont bankrupt me.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 18, 2010 2:53:30 AM

ressing an old thread, but looking into it more and having trouble finding NZ suppliers for decent parts.

im wondering if a thermaltake 760i would be a viable option, if i add a second rad to the loop?

kit:
http://www.einfo.co.nz/shop/product_info.php?products_i...

RAD:
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentvie...

so would that offer effective performance? i know i wont get anything like a 'proper' watercooling setup, but will it be better than i get on air? since the kit alone offers similar performance to a high end air cooler, with a second rad it should be better right?

and since i now have a single GPU, would i be able to add that to the loop at some point without loosing alot of performance?

thanks all.
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
January 19, 2010 4:53:10 PM

Problem with TT watercooling is thier pumps and waterblocks etc are not up to par. failures, leaks etc. Adding a second rad can help but if your adding GPU's etc the pump will be a problem. It has a low flow rate and more importantly, low head pressure.

If you can't afford a full on WC rig, just go high end air. It's better than a TT WC kit and having to replace all the parts in time.

There are AU and NZ suppliers, just have to find them and pick parts.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 19, 2010 11:49:33 PM

cool, thanks conumdrum.

i think ill just leave it for now. i can find suppliers for parts, but no one supplier has everything id need for a build at a decent price.

i think ill just get an aftermarket cooler for my 5870, and maybe upgrade my CPU cooler at some point.

cheers again for the help.
m
l
!