Windows Won't boot on overclock

insanepotato

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Hello, first post :hello:

I have a Asus p5p43TD Pro mobo which claims i shud be able to run ram at 1600mhz(O.C) and i have ddr3 ram rated at 1600mhz
I'm using a Q9400@2.66ghz.

The problem is, by default it runs my ram at 1333mhz, fair enough, thats not OC. But when i go into the bios and select the X.M.P. and have my ram run at 1600mhz, Windows wont boot. Windows shows the bootscreen, then flashes to a BSOD and restarts. Im using win7 x64.

I've tried using a manual overclock opposed to teh XMP, and set the FSB to 400, ram to 1600 and FSB strap to Auto (i dont really know what that does... ^^"). Still no avail.

I found that windows will still boot and run perfectly if i set the FSB to about 390-394 which lets me run my ram at a bit more that 1500mhz.

Also, I dont mind having to OC my cpu to run my ram at its rated speed, as i plan to get a nice shiney heatsink sometime in the furtue =]

I would really like to run my ram at its rated speed. :na:

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Tony

Solution
Ok the reason it is not letting you run your ram at 1600Mhz (XMP) is because you cannot run it at 1600Mhz unless you overclock the RAM.

DDR3 1600(O.C.)/1333/1066/800 means your board will detect the ram at 1333Mhz and it is up to you to OC that ram to achieve 1600Mhz speeds. If your board will not boot at 1600 then you need to back off a bit untill it is stable. Not all boards that are rated at 1600Mhz (OC) will actually work at that frequency. You have to play with the setting a bit till you find your sweet spot.

I have a DDR2 board that states it can handle 1066Mhz, but when I raise the frequency to 533 (1066Mhz) it BSODs no matter what voltage I give it... So the best way around my issue was to lower the frequency to 400 (800Mhz)...
You need to manually set your DDR3 slot voltage and memory timings for the 1600 specifications.

ASUS M/Bs are bad about applying more output voltage to the memory than you manually set in the BIOS settings.

You need to compare the manual setting to the actual setting ASUS is applying and adjust your manual setting to get the actual in the specifications target zone.

That is if your M/B is applying more voltage than you are manually setting,you can check the actual voltages in hardware monitor, somewhere in your particular M/Bs BIOS setup.

Your memory modules timings and voltages should be on a sticker on the modules themselves, if not look them up at your memory manufacturers website.

If you intend on OCing your PC, please take the time and read the guides on OCing your platform, and educate yourself on what you're getting into, so you can learn what you're doing.

insanepotato

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I've tried manualy setting the timing information and voltage to 1.5 (as stated on the ram's box). Still no success.
I got the timing from CPU-Z's SPD tab btw.

I looked up my mobo's compatibility chart and it states for my ram model : 1333-9-9-9-24 1.6v. So i think its game over.

pete3867

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
I have an asus mobo and it runs the overcklock fine, but then when I boot up it says bla bla the mobo wont boot , please go back to defaults...I just press restart and it works everytime

Ok the reason it is not letting you run your ram at 1600Mhz (XMP) is because you cannot run it at 1600Mhz unless you overclock the RAM.

DDR3 1600(O.C.)/1333/1066/800 means your board will detect the ram at 1333Mhz and it is up to you to OC that ram to achieve 1600Mhz speeds. If your board will not boot at 1600 then you need to back off a bit untill it is stable. Not all boards that are rated at 1600Mhz (OC) will actually work at that frequency. You have to play with the setting a bit till you find your sweet spot.

I have a DDR2 board that states it can handle 1066Mhz, but when I raise the frequency to 533 (1066Mhz) it BSODs no matter what voltage I give it... So the best way around my issue was to lower the frequency to 400 (800Mhz) and raise the FSB a bit to achieve a small OC. I ended up with 940Mhz stable and to this date I have not had one problem when it comes to the ram on that particular board.

you stated :

I found that windows will still boot and run perfectly if i set the FSB to about 390-394 which lets me run my ram at a bit more that 1500mhz.

Exactly what I posted above ;)

Hope this helps....

Solution

insanepotato

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Oh ho ho. Okies. Thanks for the replies. I think i'll run it 1480mhz (350FSB), because CPUZ gives me the timings for that. It seems stable at the moment and the temperatures alright on full load =]

Thanks again ^_^