Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AHH! Far Cry 2 is coming out later today!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 21, 2008 3:36:59 PM

The people at Gamestop said Far Cry 2 is going to be on their shelved in less than an our. Anyone else have the game or going out to get it later? I'm actually leaving right now :D 

More about : ahh cry coming today

a c 365 U Graphics card
October 21, 2008 3:43:06 PM

The DRM limit of 5 installs (unless that changed) killed it for me.

I'm waiting for Fallout 3 next week. Hopefully some violence in a post apocalyptic era will cheer me up from this economic down turn.
October 21, 2008 3:57:02 PM

i only saw that the game in belgium is available 24.10 online here in west europe
Related resources
October 21, 2008 4:31:26 PM

jaguarskx said:
The DRM limit of 5 installs (unless that changed) killed it for me.

I'm waiting for Fallout 3 next week. Hopefully some violence in a post apocalyptic era will cheer me up from this economic down turn.



sadly, this is true for me too. *mumbles* stupid SecuROM...
October 21, 2008 4:34:29 PM

jaguarskx said:
The DRM limit of 5 installs (unless that changed) killed it for me.

I'm waiting for Fallout 3 next week. Hopefully some violence in a post apocalyptic era will cheer me up from this economic down turn.



SWEET! I am thinking the same about the African plain featured in FC 2..........

The 5 installs is only if you do not UNINSTALL it. As I read it, you have 5 installs, valid at any time, as long as you uninstall it from one, you are free to install it again.

Still not to my liking, if I was gonna cheat to get it, just download from a torrent. Seems like they are just keeping the honest folk honest, not preventing the piracy issue.
October 21, 2008 4:50:53 PM

The 5 installs is to reduce the prevelence of software piracy which costs developers millions in lost revenue. They don't want people installing the same key on hundreds of computers. Downloading it from a torrent won't work unless you happen to be the first 5 who installs it. Just save up and buy a legal copy of that game! You can always sell it to the next person(be sure to uninstall first!) when you get bored of that game. Or you can wait a year and buy it for half price second hand.
October 21, 2008 4:51:54 PM

I'll do like I have done with all secuROM games to date. I'll buy the game, then install a pirated copy with no DRM. I have purchased the license, so I don't see how publishers could have a problem with me playing it.
October 21, 2008 4:57:57 PM

NewLCD123 said:
.....Downloading it from a torrent won't work unless you happen to be the first 5 who installs it...


LOL :kaola: 
October 21, 2008 5:06:05 PM

A lot of sites are listing Oct 22nd as the release date all of a sudden. Might be delayed 1 day it seems.
October 21, 2008 5:08:33 PM

21st is the ship date. 22nd is actual release. There's no street date on this one, so if a shop has it, they can sell it.
October 21, 2008 5:12:02 PM

NewLCD123 said:
The 5 installs is to reduce the prevelence of software piracy which costs developers millions in lost revenue. They don't want people installing the same key on hundreds of computers. Downloading it from a torrent won't work unless you happen to be the first 5 who installs it. Just save up and buy a legal copy of that game! You can always sell it to the next person(be sure to uninstall first!) when you get bored of that game. Or you can wait a year and buy it for half price second hand.



I'm going to let you in on a little something. . . DRM software does NOTHING TO STOP PIRACY AT ALL. NOTHING. NOT A DAMNED THING. All it does is piss off the people (like me) who actually go out and buy games.
October 21, 2008 5:19:10 PM

NewLCD123 said:
... Downloading it from a torrent won't work unless you happen to be the first 5 who installs it ...


You are making an odd assumption that he will not use a cracked version. I for one will not tollerate a game verndor putting a root kit or any other spy/malware on my computer. I am not interested in the security holes it adds nor the instability that too often comes with it. Even if I buy the game (very slight chance if it has DRM) I will install a cracked version to avoid the grabage. Yes that means downloading a torrent and then waiting a few weeks to make sure my AV has a chance to be updated to any new viruses that may be in it and then playing the game. The only thing all of this DRM crap is doing is pushing legitimate users away from PC gaming. A shame since the PC tends to be a far superior gaming platform.
October 21, 2008 5:20:20 PM

jkflipflop98 you beat me to it.
October 21, 2008 5:21:48 PM

CD-keys should be tied to an onlie account and left at that. It worked so well for Starcraft that the game is still on the selves and still selling.
October 21, 2008 5:22:03 PM

jkflipflop98 said:
I'm going to let you in on a little something. . . DRM software does NOTHING TO STOP PIRACY AT ALL. NOTHING. NOT A DAMNED THING. All it does is piss off the people (like me) who actually go out and buy games.



In fact DRM encourages Piracy. I wouldn't have any reason to use anything but the official version of the game if there was no DRM on it. I will continue to buy the games because I am getting playable value out of the developers efforts and they should be payed for that. I will not, however allow any malware/DRM to infect my computer.

But there are already a thousand threads with circular arguments about piracy and DRM, we could argue about something else in this one. :pt1cable: 
October 21, 2008 5:32:42 PM

Same here, if a game has DRM I won't buy it. I don't want any malware and garbage on my PC.

My gaming PC isn't even connect to the internet and I don't want to connect it...
October 21, 2008 5:35:55 PM

where do you find info about what games have a rootkit, DRM, etc?

Do these games; Teamfortress 2, COD4, BF2, BF2142. Quake 4, have them?
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2008 5:46:29 PM

I wonder how stuff leaks but on www.piratebay.org and type far cry 2 on the search box and there are dvd iso of the game. Last time I checked there were 216 seedes/ 2048 leachers. Lol pwned much?
October 21, 2008 5:53:58 PM

I hope Diablo3 and Starcraft2 won't have any of those scrap...

Those are the 2 games I'm waiting the most.
October 21, 2008 5:59:23 PM

nocteratus said:
I hope Diablo3 and Starcraft2 won't have any of those scrap...

Those are the 2 games I'm waiting the most.



Blizzard hasn't said anything officially about DRM in those two titles, but I am fairly certain from comments I have read that they won't use SecuROM. Maybe something else, who can say, but it seems like anything would be less offensive than SecuROM.
October 21, 2008 6:21:55 PM

Blizzard specifically did not rule out DRM but they pointed out that their method (only one person with a given CD key can get on battle net, or into a multi-player game at the same time) had worked pretty well. They also said that they liked Steams model much better than SecureROM and did say that the games would not "call home" after the intial install. They did however have the install spawn option for StarCraft that allowed extra installations with a CD that could enter a Multiplayer game on a LAN but that was the only purpose a spawn installation was valid for. I thought that they had a pretty good system. I bought that game 3 times. The first two were so that I could have a freind over to play on BNet one my second comp. The third was because my first two went up in a house fire and I wanted to play again.
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2008 6:28:27 PM

petevsdrm said:
I'll do like I have done with all secuROM games to date. I'll buy the game, then install a pirated copy with no DRM. I have purchased the license, so I don't see how publishers could have a problem with me playing it.


petevsdrm said:
LOL :kaola: 

+1. I hate SecuROM cr@p. It's BS. Pirates will always be one step ahead. More developers need to create something smiler to how WoW works (tied to an account).
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2008 6:35:02 PM

50bmg said:
where do you find info about what games have a rootkit, DRM, etc?

Do these games; Teamfortress 2, COD4, BF2, BF2142. Quake 4, have them?

COD4: Yes
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/98828-13-cod4-securom
Quake 4: AFAIK no
TF2: Don't know
BF: I think so, but not sure.
October 21, 2008 6:42:32 PM

nocteratus said:
I hope Diablo3 and Starcraft2 won't have any of those scrap...

Those are the 2 games I'm waiting the most.


wow, I swear there was a news story here yesterday where they interviewed 2 blizzard guys about that exact question
I can't find any trace of it now, maybe it was on a different site,
but if I remember correctly, the response was basically they've been working too much on BlizzCon and demos to even think about it
October 21, 2008 6:43:25 PM

i was going out to buy far cry 2 also, but...DRM...so sad. i really wanted to support the developers but i don't want junk on my computer either.
October 21, 2008 6:47:41 PM

jamesl said:
wow, I swear there was a news story here yesterday where they interviewed 2 blizzard guys about that exact question
I can't find any trace of it now, maybe it was on a different site,
but if I remember correctly, the response was basically they've been working too much on BlizzCon and demos to even think about it

they said what aragorn mentioned. blizzard is still evaluating if they want to use DRM in their games but most likely not due to the nature of b.net and how you need a valid cd-key to log on so that stops pretty much all of the piracy of their games if the players want to go online (which is a yes if you're playing a blizzard game).

it's similar to the steam way of approach, pretty damn effective if you ask me
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2008 7:15:38 PM

I don't care about DRM... as long as it doesn't mess up system stability.. i'm cool... I mean how can you possibly install the game 5 times... Who re-formats their computer that often... and in 10 years you argue... well I wann a play... at that point theres A. Going to be tons of hacks for it to get around DRM... or B. Its such a great game that they still have the support centers open for it... as long as it doesn't affect system performance/stability i'm cool with it... although I do think it doesn't do anything to stop pirates
October 21, 2008 7:23:33 PM

except that said hacks would be on torrents, which no one will be seeding (and torrents themselves may be illegal, the way things are going...)
October 21, 2008 7:26:35 PM

Quote:
I don't care about DRM... as long as it doesn't mess up system stability.. i'm cool... I mean how can you possibly install the game 5 times... Who re-formats their computer that often... and in 10 years you argue... well I wann a play... at that point theres A. Going to be tons of hacks for it to get around DRM... or B. Its such a great game that they still have the support centers open for it... as long as it doesn't affect system performance/stability i'm cool with it... although I do think it doesn't do anything to stop pirates



It's not the effect on performance that bothers me. It's that when you uninstall the game, SecuROM stays on your PC forever, like a really nasty virus that you can't get rid of.

I like the virus analogy because most viruses/spyware will not impact your PC's performance either, it just logs information about you and sends it off every so often to whoever wrote it. We spend so much time, effort, and in some cases money to prevent viruses from getting onto our PC's, why should DRM be any different?
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2008 7:27:29 PM

NewLCD123 said:
The 5 installs is to reduce the prevelence of software piracy which costs developers millions in lost revenue.


Actually it does little to nothing against piracy, and all it does it penalize those who bought the game, there's no SecurROM on the Pirated versions.

Quote:
Downloading it from a torrent won't work unless you happen to be the first 5 who installs it.


Or it's cracked and you don't need it.

Quote:
Just save up and buy a legal copy of that game! You can always sell it to the next person(be sure to uninstall first!) when you get bored of that game. Or you can wait a year and buy it for half price second hand.


Except you're still stuck with the SecurRom DRM Root-kit infection regardless of whether it's $5 or $50, it's not the price people have a problem with it's being infected by a DRM trojan when you legally purchased the game. Big pirates don't care about such things, they simply remove it.
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2008 8:00:32 PM

SecuROM haha like that is going to stop anyone.
xD
October 21, 2008 9:29:46 PM

These securom assholes must have one hellacious sales pitch. They've not only convinced nearly all game software developers that we're all pirates and out to screw them over, but buying their legal virus and installing it in your games is good for you.

I'm reminded of a period in the past, where if you went to see a doctor about a nagging cough, he would have prescribed Camel non-filtered cigarettes to treat you. This is the same thing. Totally wrong answer, yet it kinda sorta almost looks like the right one if you squint the right way.
October 21, 2008 9:43:01 PM

what is the friggin problem with the drm if as long as you uninstall it you can install it again. you can install it on 5 computers. that should be more than enough. and if you are having a problem and have to reinstall it, you don't waste one install by doing it again after you uninstall it.
October 22, 2008 3:30:12 AM

1st You can only install on 3 computers. Up to 5 installs.
2nd I DON'T WANT SPY WARE OR ROOT KITS FROM SECURE ROM ON MY COMPUTER!!!!!!!!
October 22, 2008 3:49:03 AM

I'm back, got a call from Gamestop. I have to wait till tomorrow. I wish I was more excited, but Securom is pissing me off. I buy games, not download, and I get punished with crap-ware on my PC. It makes me mad. I just had the same issue with DiRT and their DRM BS. It's a lot easier to just download it for free and not worry about the DRM the actual customers deal with. It makes you think twice about actually buying a copy with the little hidden Root Kit that has its way with your PC. I don't like extra add-on parasite-ware. It makes me mad. I'm sure all of you feel the same way about this DRM issue. I didn't get Crysis Warhead because of it and I won't because of it. The first Crysis didn't have it and I gladly bought that. Even though it was a mediocre game I still gave it a try. I paid $10 for DiRT so it's not a big deal. I have to pay $50 for FC2. That is kind of a big deal...I'm done ranting for the night now :) 
October 22, 2008 9:39:54 AM

0mg_1ts_m3 said:
what is the friggin problem with the drm if as long as you uninstall it you can install it again. you can install it on 5 computers. that should be more than enough. and if you are having a problem and have to reinstall it, you don't waste one install by doing it again after you uninstall it.



Ya, because you know, I stop and uninstall all 60+ of my games before I do a format. That makes total sense. Jackass.
October 22, 2008 10:43:53 AM

jkflipflop98 said:
Ya, because you know, I stop and uninstall all 60+ of my games before I do a format. That makes total sense. Jackass.


Yeah because it is SOOO hard to uninstall your games with Securom before formatting the hard drive. Even though it would make the formatting quicker so that uninstalling the games would not add too much time to the process. No, but really get over it, DRMs are the future and no amount of complaining is going to change it. So how about you try not getting so emotional and condescending because you want to throw a little tantrum because big mean Securom is out to get you. You sir are a Jackass.
October 22, 2008 11:44:58 AM

Actually, i have to say .. i have a prob with the drm as well.. I prefer to make backup copies of my cd's on my hard drive.. drm also makes this very difficult and as for the 5 time limit.. you guys gonna tell me that the average joe will understand it when they are told they have to reformat cuz they hosed thier system for onw reason or another? hell it has happened to me a good 6 or 7 times in the past 10 years where I couldn't get into windows.. i have even had to reformat 3 times in aweek due to faulty hardware..and I was not able to get into windows, let alone uninstall anything... I see this as a big problem.. it won't show up right away.. but down the road when people have reformatted 5 times... i will buy the game for the cd key, and then download the non drm version thank you
October 22, 2008 12:49:28 PM

I got burned when I bought Bioshock. My PC died the first week I had the game.. After swapping the hdd and reinstalling Vista it died again the next week.. I built an interim crappy machine that i used for about a week before my real new machine arrived.. Before my new machine had ever arrived I burned through my 3 game installs. I called and they extended me to 5. Needless to say a week or 2 later, even though I uninstalled the game like I should before I formatted, I was out of installs and had to download a hacked copy of the only game I bought this decade.
October 22, 2008 1:27:57 PM

The_Blood_Raven said:
Yeah because it is SOOO hard to uninstall your games with Securom before formatting the hard drive. Even though it would make the formatting quicker so that uninstalling the games would not add too much time to the process. No, but really get over it, DRMs are the future and no amount of complaining is going to change it. So how about you try not getting so emotional and condescending because you want to throw a little tantrum because big mean Securom is out to get you. You sir are a Jackass.



Wow, so it's a good thing that you should have to sit for over an hour and uninstall all your games before you do a format? And you find that acceptable?
What if you can't uninstall? What if I'm pushing the system a little too hard and it corrupts my drives a couple of times?
I guess I should just be like you - lay down and take it in the ass anytime someone else wants to install software on my computer that I don't want. I mean, that is the future, right? A bunch of spineless punkass girlyboys that dont mind they can only use the game they spent $50 on 3 times? The future where you don't actually own anything, you just get to use it until the creator decides "that's enough"?

You know what, your staggering level of stupidity and general willingness to take DRM balls deep with no thought or care *at all* has pushed me to a new and sudden realization.

There is another videogame industry crash coming on. It looks just like it did back in '84 before we filled the dumps full of unpurchased atari carts. I for one, will welcome it with open arms. So please, keep using more and more restrictive DRM measures, all the while you're driving the masses to pirate games. The more people pirate, the tighter the DRM gets, the tighter the DRM gets, the more people will want to pirate. Finally, no one will be making any money at all. And then it begins.
October 22, 2008 9:31:37 PM

I just read it all and understand how DRM sucks. I am an honest person and would love to support the developers so they can countine to create new game titles. But I won't tolerate DRM if it behaves like spyware/trojan where they can violate your privacy by logging your info.

Is there any way to buy a legal copy and simply remove the DRM? Also it would be nice to have a "no cd/dvd" hack so you can play the game without needing to insert the disk.

I don't like torrants due to the prevelence of viruses, trojans and malware plus the legal risks. It's not a good thing just like DRM isn't a good thing. Maybe I can have a friend mail me a non DRM verson of the DVD rom he burnt himself?
October 23, 2008 3:12:36 PM

NewLCD123 said:
I just read it all and understand how DRM sucks. I am an honest person and would love to support the developers so they can countine to create new game titles. But I won't tolerate DRM if it behaves like spyware/trojan where they can violate your privacy by logging your info.

Is there any way to buy a legal copy and simply remove the DRM? Also it would be nice to have a "no cd/dvd" hack so you can play the game without needing to insert the disk.

I don't like torrants due to the prevelence of viruses, trojans and malware plus the legal risks. It's not a good thing just like DRM isn't a good thing. Maybe I can have a friend mail me a non DRM verson of the DVD rom he burnt himself?



I wish it were so easy my friend. If you find a solution let me know. I would just as soon not have to use a torrent site either.
October 23, 2008 4:52:52 PM

SecurRom kills it for me too and it isn't just because of the 5 installs.

I received a free copy of Alone In The Dark with my Asus 4850 card. When I installed that game SecuRom came up and said I was using Daemon Tools and that I had to not allow Daemon Tools to start up before I could play the game.

I do use Daemon Tools but not to pirate games (or anything else). I don't have Daemon tools set to start on Windows startup in its preferences nor does it show up in msconfig or my 'startup' folder. So as far as I can tell SecuRom just doesn't even want Daemon Tools installed on the system period.

When it came down to Alone in the Dark or Daemon Tools, Alone In The Dark lost out and I uninstalled it. Then promptly did a manual removal of SecuRom. Nothing else with that program is going back on my computer.
October 23, 2008 5:48:05 PM

spoondigity said:
Then promptly did a manual removal of SecuRom. Nothing else with that program is going back on my computer.


Hey man how do you remove SecuRom? I thought it was imbedded in your kernel after installation?

Link me to a guide and I would be very appreciative.

Thanks,
Pete
October 23, 2008 6:01:20 PM

petevsdrm said:
I'll do like I have done with all secuROM games to date. I'll buy the game, then install a pirated copy with no DRM. I have purchased the license, so I don't see how publishers could have a problem with me playing it.


If you think you can bypass the DRM crap via a cracked version you're wrong.

Securerom comes in 2 parts: Pt1 - The CDKey and exe file protection (the CD check). Pt2- Installation DRM control.

All the hackers will do is bypass pt1 so you can play it on your system without having to enter a valid CD key and skip the CD key check. The crack however, will not remove the DRM control and it cannot be done so because it's part of the installation package so it will load it onto your computer without you agreeing or not during install. The only way to bypass is to completely repack all their game files and recreate a brand new installation .msi or w/e it uses for installation packaging.

50bmg said:
where do you find info about what games have a rootkit, DRM, etc?

Do these games; Teamfortress 2, COD4, BF2, BF2142. Quake 4, have them?


TF2: no. Valve doesn't use gay things like that

COD4, BF2, BF2142, Quake4: these are all great titles that are starting to age a little so there's no securerom DRM. Securerom 7 is the version that has this gay DRM system which started from Spore and extended to major titles after (including: Crysis Warhead, FC2.etc). If this is the new trend, future PC games from Spore on will all start to use Securerom installation DRM which in the end is bad for the people who actually BUYS the game.
October 23, 2008 6:15:33 PM

murdoc said:
If you think you can bypass the DRM crap via a cracked version you're wrong.

The only way to bypass is to completely repack all their game files and recreate a brand new installation .msi or w/e it uses for installation packaging.



Yeah, I know, that's why I D/L the repack version. I don't just install the game and crack it. Hackers do quite a bit to modify and remove the nasty bits you don't want. If we could just convince them to do this without including viruses in the package.....

Anyway even if it did install secuRom on my machine, what would it check for? Obviously I can install the game as many times as I like, there is no check for Daemontools or anything before I start the game either.
October 23, 2008 6:23:21 PM

petevsdrm said:
Yeah, I know, that's why I D/L the repack version. I don't just install the game and crack it. Hackers do quite a bit to modify and remove the nasty bits you don't want. If we could just convince them to do this without including viruses in the package.....

Anyway even if it did install secuRom on my machine, what would it check for? Obviously I can install the game as many times as I like, there is no check for Daemontools or anything before I start the game either.


For the current version out on the web right now you can only get the original source package (with DRM included). If you want repacked versions it's going to take a while.

Well they will keep track of how many installations of the game you have. I'm assuming some of your computer data will be sent to a server to keep track. Once it detects a machine (with diff hardware installed) it will count towards another limit out of the 5 that you have. When it reaches max limit it will no longer allow you to install on newer machines until you uninstall a copy. But there's a risk that these things might have bugs and I'm not sure the details about formatting. I think they will assume you uninstall the game first before formatting. But for those who don't know and just format, then it may count as 1 limit taken away from the 5 that you have which sucks.
October 23, 2008 6:27:21 PM

petevsdrm said:
Hey man how do you remove SecuRom? I thought it was imbedded in your kernel after installation?

Link me to a guide and I would be very appreciative.

Thanks,
Pete


I did it several months ago using some brilliant steps that included a small microsoft utility. The utility lets you delete things that you can't normally delete. If I can find them again I will post them here but it is tough now that so many people are posting about removing securom because of Spore.

It looks like it may be a lot easier now and even the spore support group is offering instructions on uninstalling it using securom's uninstaller (if you can trust that software hehe). Here is that link...

http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/6467.page

The first post there includes a location to download the program and follow instructions.

What I followed took about 10-15 minutes but they were manual removal steps from the registry, deleting files, and running the microsoft app.
October 23, 2008 6:32:35 PM

sigh... if they didn't do stupid stuff like this maybe we as consumers wouldn't have to do so much work in the first place -_-"
!