Planning of cheap gaming rig

turtlecool2

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Can you get this rough idea cheaper and better?
my goal is to build a gaming rig under $700 but right now im focusing on the mobo/cpu but i dont want to use more than $200. (i want to stay with intel core 2 duo)
(i want a cheap gaming motherboard)

plan:
intel core 2 duo (havent decided version is the best and cheapest)
Asus p5kc or asus p5q-e or Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L

any better ideas?

At that budget I say go with AMD. Since you want to stick with Intel though and are willing to spend $200 on the board and CPU I say get a good P45 board, then pair it with a Wolfdale Pentium E5200 and overclock it. The Gigabyte is probably easier to use, and having a single PCI-E slot is fine if you don't plan on taking advantage of crossfire, but I recommend getting a board with two PCI-E slots since you can buy a 4850 now, and then buy another one for $100 down the line and crossfire it.

turtlecool2

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
hmm the p35 sounds really good, but is it better than the Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L, because if it is, im getting that.
e7200 sounds fine for me?

any more ideas?

If you want cheap, I saw a deal at Frys Electronics that included the E7200 and an ECS mobo for 99.99 for both. That would get you off the ground quite nicely. You could upgrade the mobo later. I dont know if you are near a Frys or if they are still having the same deal. Its worth looking into. That would let you put the other 100 into a better video card and/or a decent power supply...

turtlecool2

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
right now my own choices are the p35 asus and e7200, is there anything better than these two combos? (plz dont give me rebates)

I guess not everyone is like me and will rip out everything to do an upgrade such as the mobo at a moments notice.

If you're a glutton for punishment then the option is good either way. A better cpu with a weak mobo will give u more powa now! But more work later reinstalling everything.

As dirtmountain says its easier to replace a cpu and keep going. This is as long as the temporary cpu is powerful enough to keep you happy until then...