storm kills computer....

derson69

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2004
a recent storm killed the power in my area. the power was restored but the lights in my house would flicker from bright to dim. this went on for a week. sunday the flickering became worse and withen 30 seconds my hdtv and my computer shut off. when the power was repaired properly (I lost a ground) my hdtv came on and worked again but my computer would not. when I hit the on button the fans would turn for less than a second and shut itself back off. i assumed the power supply was killed and purchased another one. computer would still not start. i purchased a new mobo with the same results. I next replaced the cpu and still had the same problem. i removed everything from the puter and hooked up the mobo, the cpu and fan, and the power supply on my desktop outside of the case. I discovered that if i only plugged in the 24 pin connector the mobo would stay running but when i hook up the 12v atx supply to the cpu it shuts off. I'm at a loss as to what the problem could be....any ideas???

derson69

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2004
sorry about that....
gigabyte ga-m57sli-s4 mobo

my first cpu was a amd athlon 64 x2 4400, the second was an amd athlon 64 x2 6000 called for

psu unit was origionally an ultra xconnect 500w, the second is a logisys 605w

6 gigs of dual memory, two pair in each colored slot

video card is a e-gforce 8600gt

1.2 terrabyte of sata hard drives

I've had the same puter for about 2 years now and last winter upgraded the mobo, processor, some more memory and a new sata hard drive

as soon as the computer wouldnt start i went and purchased the second power supply, hooked it up and got the same results.
I then went and purchased the second mobo (both are the same). I put the old cpu into the new board and got the same results.
Next I purchased the new cpu and put it into the new board.
Although I've built quite a few computers in the past (over 40) and have never had this kind of problem before im quite the novice at it.

I have a feeling the cpu called for power from the psu while my house was experiencing low voltaqe which probably fried the cpu and possibly after i put the old cpu into the new mobo it also fried the new mobo. could all of this have actually happened from spikes and draws in my house current? I had the unit plugged into a surge protector which is why i never thought about turning the unit off while I was without power and the fact that the power company told me everything would be fine until they could repair it. who would have ever thought ohio would get hit with a hurricane anyways?!!