Settings Seemed To Have Disappeared

Am running a Dell Dimension 4550 desktop computer with Windows XP Home with
SP-2 installed. The computer has only one hard drive (80 GB). Our log-in
screen is set up as one account for my wife and one account for myself. Both
of our accounts were performing normally until yesterday when for no apparent
reason (other than routinely shutting down and then restarting the computer)
my wife's account lost all her settings. My settings seem unaffected.

I have reset the settings, but they do not stay re-set.

The other thing I have noticed is that the "Shared Documents" folder now
just indicated "Documents" and I can't access it. The computer tells me I
don't have permission!

I have and have run Ad Aware, Spybot S&D, Norton Anti-Virus and Trend
Micro's on-line threat assessment. All come back indicating a clean computer.

Any assistance would be greatly and gratefully appreciated!

Jim
1 answer Last reply
More about settings disappeared

    Hi Jim,

    I would suspect some corruption of the ntuser.dat file has occured on her
    account. Generally this is not recoverable. I would suggest that you create
    a new account for her, then copy her old one into it.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

    Note that one step not listed in the article is that after creating the
    destination profile you must log into it once first to create the necessary
    file structure before you do the copy procedure.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Am running a Dell Dimension 4550 desktop computer with Windows XP Home
    > with
    > SP-2 installed. The computer has only one hard drive (80 GB). Our log-in
    > screen is set up as one account for my wife and one account for myself.
    > Both
    > of our accounts were performing normally until yesterday when for no
    > apparent
    > reason (other than routinely shutting down and then restarting the
    > computer)
    > my wife's account lost all her settings. My settings seem unaffected.
    >
    > I have reset the settings, but they do not stay re-set.
    >
    > The other thing I have noticed is that the "Shared Documents" folder now
    > just indicated "Documents" and I can't access it. The computer tells me I
    > don't have permission!
    >
    > I have and have run Ad Aware, Spybot S&D, Norton Anti-Virus and Trend
    > Micro's on-line threat assessment. All come back indicating a clean
    > computer.
    >
    > Any assistance would be greatly and gratefully appreciated!
    >
    > Jim

Computers Windows XP