Sign in with
Your question

P6T Deluxe MB Over Heating Issues

Last response: in Motherboards
January 20, 2009 4:36:59 PM

My dad built an i7 PC. He is using an Themaltak -thai chi water cooled case. There was not water block available at the time for the i7 since he got it the day it came out. System was fine with stock fan until i7 water block came in by mail. The PC keeps on Freezing up. Went into the bios the i7 Processor temperature is sitting at 30 c but the MB Tempature is reaching above 40c.

I installed speed fan to check temperatures, to keep the Pc running with out freezing up we have a external Fan blowing cool air inside the case. Turn the Fan off , and the System temperature increase to about 42c and the Whole PC start to shut down. Anyone have any idea what to do.
January 21, 2009 3:24:09 AM

It would help if you could post the complete system specification. Sounds like the motherboard is overheating after you installed the CPU waterblock. Your motherboard's heatsink is probably not getting airflow over it since you removed the stock heatsink and fan from the CPU. Is the motherboard's heatsink right next to the CPU socket? The stock CPU cooler's fan kept the motherboard heatsink cool and now it's not present anymore.
January 21, 2009 7:32:26 AM

Those temps seem fine to me, my i7 idles in the 40C's and the Mobo (Asus P6T Delux) idles at around 50C.

These temps are common.

I suggest you run some CPU & memory stressing/benchmarking programs to see if you can isolate the problem.

Since you have stated temps and they seem ok, I would run MemTest to see if its your ram giving you trouble.
Related resources
January 21, 2009 7:33:01 AM

Are you sure the MB temperature is causing the system to freeze? I have a P6t deluxe aswell, and PC probe also shows the MB temp is above 40°, but the treshold is set to 60°C by default, so I figured it wasn't a big deal, since the sytem works fine.
Asus has included an extra fan in the box, to actively cool the northbridge, that is only to be installed when used with watercooling. If it IS the MB temperature that is causing the problem, you could try installing it, and see if it improves.
I have a Coolermaster V8 installed, that, like most aftermarket coolers doesn't blow towards the MB, I thought about installing the included motherboardfan, but the manual states it shouldn't be used in combination with an air cpu cooler (they say it will cause airflow issues). It does include some standoffs to install a 40 mm fan to the heatsink, but I don't want a noisy small fan in my PC.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 23, 2009 7:54:51 PM

The p6t deluxe needs a 40mm x 40mm fan for the chipset, i have cpu 29º and mobo 35º with 3,8Ghz oc. Yo only need a 40x40x20 Papst (8200rpm) fan for the chipset, and your temps will dow to 25º CPU and 28º mobo. It's easy ;) 
a b V Motherboard
February 24, 2009 6:49:47 AM

8200rpm?

Only if you don't mind the noise.
May 5, 2009 11:51:40 PM

Newegg sells several northbridge fan and heatsinks. I had the same problem, I used a Thermaltake CL-C0034 Copper Fan & Heatsink on the southbridge and a stock fan on the X-58. Make sure you don't use the fan that comes with the mobo(it is only for use with water or passive cool) if your dad is using water cooling than he needs to put that in or the mobo will overheat. MRFIXI15811
May 9, 2009 12:47:07 PM

Hi, my i7 idles at around 55C even with a thermalright ultra 120 on it - when using prime95 this goes wll into 80s. my mobo is always running over 60C, usually towards 70C. running an i7 920, no overclocking. Is something wrong here? cheers L
May 9, 2009 4:19:49 PM

Get one of these and put it on your south bridge(not the X-58)Thermaltake CL-C0034 Copper Fan & Heatsinks. For the cpu use this one, CoolIT SYSTEMS Domino A.L.C Advanced Liquid Cooling. It's on sale right now for $79(great for a water cooling system). Don't be afraid of this cooling system it's easy to install and fully self contained. I had the same problem you're having with the same board and tried fan after fan, heatsink after heatsink and finally with this set-up my Temps went from mobo being 68c to 39c and cpu temps. 69c to 40c idle. That I can live with. Make sure if you do this you give the paste at least one week to cure before you try to overclock. Good Luck.
May 9, 2009 4:48:02 PM

I forgot to mention you should use thermo glue to mount the northbridge heatsink and fan. Also point the fan towards the back of the case. Let me know how it works out. Here to help!!!!!!!!! I am actually thinking of purchasing 2 more and placing them on the X-58 chipset because the fanless heatsink that comes with the asus mobo does not seem good enough for me. It couldn't hurt.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 10, 2009 8:27:36 AM

I have MB P6T deluxe V2 and my system is randomly freezing or restarting. I have tried another CPU and result was the same. CPU temperature is good as well. I have also checked memory qualify list for this MB (my are on the list). I believe it's somehow connected with network activity, as I have tried lot of benchmarks and CPU/memory stress tests and during these tests it passed. It is mostly freezing in aplication like outlook, QIP, download accelerator (flashget) etc. Currently I'm using Win Vista 64bit ultimate, but in Win xp 64bit prof. it was the same.
July 10, 2009 8:46:19 AM

Are you using ati video card? That sounds like a windows crash! I'm not sure but ati cards have *** drivers for windows(vista mainly)and when your system tries to process even a moderate amount of graphics windows crashes or freezes. If this is the case try going to device manager and updating drivers from there, maybe this will fix the problem. Here to help!!!!!!
July 27, 2009 10:01:06 AM

mrfixit15811 said:
Are you using ati video card? That sounds like a windows crash! I'm not sure but ati cards have *** drivers for windows(vista mainly)and when your system tries to process even a moderate amount of graphics windows crashes or freezes. If this is the case try going to device manager and updating drivers from there, maybe this will fix the problem. Here to help!!!!!!

Are you implying that if someone uses an ati card, windows will autoamticly crash?
Granted the ati drivers are *** when it comes to multi monitor systems and stuff like analogue tv's but it's not exactly prone to crashing windows on my rig. I don't recall the graphics card causing trouble in vista (32 & 64) or win 7 64bit except for the very first week since generic drivers weren't available, and the sapphire ones were buggy.
!