NetSolve-VA

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
Hey
I have a strange problem. I have a Dell laptop that works fine when it is running on the battery, but when i plug it in the display goes black. If i try to reboot while it is plugged it it shows the post but the display goes black at the windows splash screen. I have tried tinkering a little bit as far as updating the driver and reestablishing the connection between the screen and the system board, but it made no difference. Also my computer does still charge when it is plugged in so i know my adapter isnt bad. ANY IDEAS?

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Hook up an external monitor to the laptop and boot, the external should get signal, then use FN, (function key), and the F key that shows the monitors on it. You should be able to switch between the two, set it for the laptop and reboot.

NetSolve-VA

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
I tried to reset the memory that didnt seem to fix it and I am aware of the Fn+F5 keystroke but the screen doesnt really go blank it is almost like the light turns off on the screen, and still runs perfect when using the battery

tarkodog

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

Hello Michiganted: That is exactly what´s happening to my dell laptop, when i put the brightness down it works fine, so you think it´s the inverter for sure??
Thanks very much for your time