crashes when about to boot windows

JJR8588

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I didn't reformat my hdd but I wanted to make sure everything was running vid card, cpu, mobo so I just plugged everything in and turned it on no problems at all.... but when it gets right passed the bios where it normally would boot windows it asks to boot in safe mode etc..I hit one then procedes to crash is that because my hdd isn't noticing the new mobo.....all in all for my first time ever building a comp was fun and took about 4 hours or so after days of prep and reading thanks all who helped also.

covertxt5

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
well, if i had to guess - your hal (hardware abstraction layer) does not match up with your previous hardware which isnt a big deal as long as you dont change vendors dramatically - in your case you did. You could of prevented this if you would have syspreped your os before you installed the hd into your new computer. Nevertheless, its best to always reload the hd after installing all new components anyways.

So your next step should be to install your os, which is, put the cd in your drive - go into your bois set the cd to boot first, press the space bar when asked on boot - during the installation process it will ask if you wish to do a clean install - that would be yes - next it will give you the opportunity to destroy your partitions - which you will, and than do a quick format and your off to the races or waiting...

JJR8588

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
ya thats what i figured thanks was just making sure i didn't trash the hdd somehow from moving it from old comp to the new rig awaiting on my 64 bit vista to arrive.