Sign in with
Your question

NVIDIA GPUs blamed for failures in some HP desktops!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 21, 2008 6:38:32 PM

Not looking good for Evil Nvidia..More shocking news!!

Artice:
http://arstechnica.com/journals/hardware.ars/2008/10/20...

Quote:
NVIDIA faces growing problems arising from faulty GPUs typically used in notebook computers. I say "typically" used, because today HP has confirmed that the same GPUs causing problems in some of its notebooks are now found to be the cause of similar issues in some HP Slimline PCs.

PC Pro received a statement from HP that claims in a nutshell that HP knows some of the faulty GPUs found their way into certain Slimline PCs. If you are the owner of a Slimline PC and notice problems like failure to boot and failure to display video, HP points the finger unwaveringly in the direction of Santa Clara.

Quote:
We could be looking down the gullet of another quarterly loss for NVIDIA. You can't help but wonder if this will affect the lawsuit pending over GPU failures

Nvidias problems just keep increasing...AMD GPU's selling like hot cakes

AMD4Life!!
October 21, 2008 6:57:03 PM

this is all old news. and I think it was only on the low end 8 series from what I remember.

Don't forget that Nvidia laptop GPUs are out selling the ATI GPUs by alot :)  its not even close to competition for laptops.

For Desktops on the other hand, it seems to be shifting for ATI, they seem to be catching up quick.

Just an idea, don't post like a fanboy, people will grow skeptical of ur posts, which will end up having posters debated whether your info is biased:p 
October 21, 2008 7:16:23 PM

Yes, old news. The chip in question is actually a motherboard chipset with integrated graphics, specifically the GeForce 6150 LE. So while it is likely to be an NVIDIA chip at the center of the failures, it may or may not be the IGP part of the chipset that's failing.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 21, 2008 7:47:21 PM

thunderman said:
Not looking good for Evil Nvidia..More shocking news!!

LOL Evil nVidia? Thanks for the laugh.
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 21, 2008 8:07:15 PM

Yeah, we all know nVidia has issues. IIRC they even allocated $200 million recently to pay for product recalls. So what's new? AMD had its own share of disasters, remember that TLB bug? nVidia will fix its mess, like AMD did with its own. Frankly right now I'm more worried by the mess the banks made. That hurts nVidia right now more than nVidia's own problems.

If you end with AMD4Life!!, you won't be taken seriously, you know...
October 21, 2008 8:12:35 PM

there u go another person that confirms it!!!
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2008 8:33:04 PM

nVidia Evil???

AMD and nVidia went hand in hand prior to ATI's acquisition of AMD. ATI gave evil Intel Crossfire.

The nForce boards were the best AMD boards around for the longest time. Prior to June 06 Didi you own a nVidia card like most other AMD users? After that did you throw the card out the day ATI acquired AMD.....oops AMD acquired ATI.

1Haplo
October 21, 2008 8:33:38 PM

TLB is an AMD problem, not ATi, it has nothing to do with GPUs, and was coming if they had bought ATi or not. The big mistake ATi has made recently was not dumping 4 years and half a billion dollars into a new arch. Wanna talk problems? What about the 9600GT overclocking behind the driver? How about UMAP? How about their insane new naming policy?

I don't hate Nvidia, but I am tired of all the stunts they pull
a c 355 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 21, 2008 8:36:41 PM

Apparently if nothing is made by AMD/ATI then it is ***EVIL***.

For those of you who are religous, it seems you are all gonna go to hell 'cause you are worshiping God and Jesus (just to name a few) instead of Athlon/Phenom and Radeon.
October 21, 2008 8:42:12 PM

that seems about right, it says in the AMD/ATI warranty!

K this thread is long gone lock it! :p 
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2008 8:53:32 PM

This thread is as worthless as tits on a boar.
October 21, 2008 9:02:49 PM

It's not worthless.
I like listening to y'all speak of what you know.
Some people are great conversation starters.
I just don't understand why some threads get locked.
If you come to a BB, a healthy sense of humor is required.
October 21, 2008 9:10:35 PM

to say its just laptop parts that are bad is wrong it affects desktop parts as well but they run cooler so it will not show up in them, not unless ur case has bad cooling
October 21, 2008 9:20:24 PM

actually it was only the chips based on G84, which I don't think is used in desktops, except for the crappy 8600s etc.
October 21, 2008 9:24:07 PM

My brother bought an HP desktop at Fry's last year and all of the sudden he downloaded a new windows update for his Vista 32 bit. Now his computer starts an error that says its the Nvidia display driver for his 8400GS video card. There was no way to fix this! The monitor just shuts off whenever anything 3D runs. I've tried driver removal programs and reinstalled drivers on nvidia's website. Didnt work. I also tried windows nvidia driver update. I've had so much problems with it i'm rebuilding him a new computer and just salvaging the Q6600 that came with it. I was so appauled at the components that were inside the case as he spent almost $1000 on it and it came with a 300watt power supply. What a joke HP is. Do not buy their products they put the cheapest parts in there with a 1 year warranty.
October 21, 2008 9:30:18 PM

L1qu1d said:
actually it was only the chips based on G84, which I don't think is used in desktops, except for the crappy 8600s etc.

nope ur wrong, the 8800gt and the 9800gt are all affected, its been fixed but there is still some out there
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2008 9:31:31 PM

whats the use of pre-built systems anyway?
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 21, 2008 9:48:47 PM

wh3resmycar said:

They're good for people who don't play games. Seriously, there are people who don't play games :) 
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 21, 2008 9:52:03 PM

wh3resmycar said:

If it weren't for pre-built systems, where could companies put bloatware?!? Geez.... put yer thinkin cap on. :kaola: 

Reality is though, not everyone knows how to build a PC. And lots of folks don't have friends who can. So for the mainstream person the only option is a pre-built system. They're for folks who shop Best Buy, Staples, Circuit City, etc for computer stuff.

October 21, 2008 9:56:39 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-GPU-failure,624...

It states that its the G84 and 86s. As for the G92s and 94s, they don't kno they are just assuming.

"Demerjian wrote that, in addition to currently repaired notebooks, G84/6 GPUs may show failures and even G92 and G94 chips could be affected. "

Either way I went through the G92s, G94s etc and didn't have any probs, So i don't kno w:S
October 21, 2008 10:59:31 PM

as i said l1qu1d your case would have to be quite hot, so there is probably no chance of this happening, maybe with shop bought computers where there is one fan if ur lucky
October 21, 2008 11:11:54 PM

There are no problems with g92/g94 gpus whatsoever. It's made up. There are passive cooling versions of cards using them for a long time now, they consistently run at 80+C, and haven't failed.

This "news" comes from the Inquirer. You know what that means.
October 21, 2008 11:44:44 PM

dagger said:
There are no problems with g92/g94 gpus whatsoever. It's made up. There are passive cooling versions of cards using them for a long time now, they consistently run at 80+C, and haven't failed.

This "news" comes from the Inquirer. You know what that means.

not according to apple they sent out a letter to there customers stating that the 8800 and the 9800 are bad, stop and think before you open ur mouth, and the news came from a mole
October 21, 2008 11:53:13 PM

rangers said:
not according to apple they sent out a letter to there customers stating that the 8800 and the 9800 are bad, stop and think before you open ur mouth, and the news came from a mole

What "mole?" Any random person can claim whatever they want and make up news. This "news" come from Inquirer. This article, in particular. Ah, now that's some good objective journalism. :sarcastic: 
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/12/...
October 21, 2008 11:57:28 PM

Welcome to ages past, bud.
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2008 12:00:33 AM

The Apple claims were posted by Apple tho
October 22, 2008 12:08:11 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
The Apple claims were posted by Apple tho

The burning iPods and exploding batteries claims were not posted by Apple. :na: 

When making such claims, it's best to have some kind of evidence, such as the burned iPod or burned body part from that exploding battery.
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2008 12:29:37 AM

I wouldnt scoff at anything Ars puts out tho. Cant get alot better.
October 22, 2008 12:38:49 AM

There have been a lot of laptop being returned with broken gpus, so that's ample evidence. Compared to the lack of evidence for g92/94. Words are cheap, at least provide something to back it up.

On another note, burning iPods is also ample evidence. :D 
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2008 12:47:51 AM

Ask Maziar
October 22, 2008 2:33:11 AM

the facts are they used the same bump material for all there chips, do you know how much it would cost to change the bump material for different chips.
get real dagger your so gullible
October 22, 2008 2:42:47 AM

thats not what dagger is saying about the bumps, shes saying that there was no problem in the first place!

This is just a war now I knew it would happen:p 
October 22, 2008 3:03:34 AM

if there was no problem, no one would be complaining about there broken laptops
October 22, 2008 3:38:46 AM

You just said that apple is the one that was complaining. Thats 1 company, and what dagger is trying to say is that there was no proof other than Apple saying "the gpus are broken", she's saying that there is no evidence. THIS IS WAT she is saying, and so far I agree with her.

Either way it didn't affect me uptill now and I doubt it ever will, since I moved onto the new GPUs, and my laptop has G94 series, which def wasn't affected since there is no Apple Notebook with G94 that I've ever seen.
October 22, 2008 3:57:37 AM

nvidia putting aside 200 million and you say there's no proof, get real
October 22, 2008 4:00:58 AM

Remember when we were all little kids...we all did things that we shouldn't have. When we did these, did we go run to our mom and tell her what we did? Or did we wait to see if she found out so we wouldn't get into lots of trouble? I think this may be bigger than what they say it is.
October 22, 2008 4:07:42 AM

^^voice of reason
October 22, 2008 4:13:30 AM

ok how about this, what you 2 are saying is just speculation, lol

Is it logical wat ur saying? yes ofc, is it true? we'll never officially know:)  There would be a massive recall if all their sh!t was defective, the'd loose even more stock if they didn't recall.

So really everything here is speculation, its like the michael jackson situation, do we really kno if that boy was touched just because he said so? I mean we kno he did something, although we have no proof that he did or didn't do the molesting.

Anyways I'm done arguing I couldn't care less. I mean they have no competition so really it won't affect them for laptops.
October 22, 2008 4:19:13 AM

is it not about time your mommy put you to bed
October 22, 2008 4:23:09 AM

I'm not trying to speculate. I'm just trying to put this whole situation into perspective. When I do something wrong, the last thing I want to do is tell my boss right away and get in more trouble. Nvidia could be fine, or they could be knee deep in Sh**. Either way, there is a chance they did or didn't. You're right, we may never know, but if cards start failing at a high rate, we'll definitely know beyond a reasonable doubt
October 22, 2008 4:27:37 AM

@rangers a smart answer from a uneducated troll.

Like always your posts just keep out doing your previous, just when I thought stupidity reached a limit with you, you reach a whole new level of fanboyism.

period scrub
October 22, 2008 4:38:49 AM

OMZZGZ I HAF NVIDIA CHIPSET IN TEH LAPTOP.

idc. nvidia ftw. ati ftw. fanboys FTL.
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2008 5:13:35 AM

No one, and I mean NO ONE has the numbers outside of nVidia,HP,Apple,Dell etc. These are highly guarded secrets, as they should be. If the real numbers came out, chances are no one would truly understand them without a manufacturing background, and itd only cause much grief to all these companies. You dont have to get sprayed by a skunk to know ones close by. Proof, or having it in hand, like say HP does, itd only cause them harm as well, so why would they do this? nVidia has offered to help cover some of the costs, and 200 million reasons to keep this as quiet as possible is alot of reasons.
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2008 5:49:36 AM

can anybody explain here why my OC'd 8600gt (reference cooler, 75mhz oc) is pushing 1 year 3 months already?

anyway, some people here regard fudzilla/inq as the bible for tech news, (ie the gospel according to charlie)
October 22, 2008 6:03:17 AM

@wheresmycar: i have an OC'd 8600GT as well. its pushing 4 months though and thats 4 months too much.
whatre you looking into?
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2008 6:05:20 AM

You have lawsuits on failures, you have 200 Million $ from nVidia, and you 8600GT is part of those chips/cards thatre bad. As was said somehweres, the Slimlines are also affected to some degree. Its a heating/cooling issue, one that is real, and is being dealt with by everyone involved as best as possible, tho Apple seems o be a bit miffed because of their perceived quality. Maybe theyr not getting their chunk of the 200 million, who knows? Ill say this, I have a bit of manufacturing behind me, and any amount of cards, say 100, even from a bad batch, only a certain % will ever go bad, then add in the requirements to make them go bad, and the numbers dwindle, tho still higher than normal
October 22, 2008 12:14:24 PM

I'm just saying its being blown out of proportion, we can't tell how many have the prob if any. If every1 is keeping their lips sealed, and some info gets released we don't kno how much we can trust that information. All I'm saying is that this info needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

AMD's TLB patch was widely known, yet AMD did nothing about it for their customers. No lawsuits etc.
October 22, 2008 12:43:45 PM

L1qu1d said:
I'm just saying its being blown out of proportion, we can't tell how many have the prob if any. If every1 is keeping their lips sealed, and some info gets released we don't kno how much we can trust that information. All I'm saying is that this info needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

AMD's TLB patch was widely known, yet AMD did nothing about it for their customers. No lawsuits etc.

Lawyers go where the money is. "Justice" ftw. :D 
October 22, 2008 4:18:34 PM

L1qu1d said:

amd did the proper thing and pulled the phenom till they got it fixed. As i said above L1qu1d the chance's of this happening in a desktop are pretty slim.

i like to air on the side of caution and i do realize that some dont care what they do with there cash, but i cant afford to get stung
October 22, 2008 4:33:48 PM

BTW it was six o'clock in the morning when i had that swipe at you L1qu1d, sorry
!