Creating a VM cyber lab

Tivlujmt

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
So here is what I have been trying to figure out for months now never got a real answer. I am opening a Cyber Lab in two different towns. Money is not an issue. I bought 15 i7 hexa-core gaming pc's, I want them to all boot from my four core quad core server. I want to use windows xp as the os, yes it may be easier to have xp installed on each computer but I want to be able to wipe and reinstall everyday thus where the booting from the server comes in. Can I even do this? I understand that there are many easier ways to do this, I want to make this work if it is possible I don't mind a challenge plus I can't open shop for two more months I have to wait for the City Council to approve the last of the building for the lab. Any help would greatly be helpful, I have a lot of iT experience and if it's something out of my league I learn and make it my league. Thanks and I hope to hear from everyone with what you have to say.

You might want to investigate RIP (Remote Installation Service) running on Windows Server. It is installation, rather than booting, from the server. This would allow you to fairly quickly restore a PC to a predefined image. An alternative would be to use cloning software, such as Norton Ghost.

I'm not sure that booting from the network (effectively running the OS from the network) would provide the performance that you require. That would also apply to something like Terminal Services.