Need a new power supply...but what kind??? Newbie needs help

jdubtex

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
I have a Gateway 500x desktop (waits for laughter to die down), and the power supply sounds like a small airplane. I bought a new/cheap one from Newegg, but it doesnt fit. The supply that came with the computer has the fan in the back, and one on the bottom side aimed at the CPU. It slides into place, and then a plastic bracket snaps up behind it and holds it in place. The new one that I bought is too big, and the screw holes dont line up.

So....HELP!! No idea what I need to buy. :(

While all PSU may be different in length they are all the same width and have their holes in the same place.

Try inserting the PSU upside down, see if the holes line up.

Two if it doesn't fit insert the PSU and drill the holes into the case. Four screws should hold the PSU in place w/o the plastic thing. Remember drill the holes into the case, not the PSU.

jdubtex

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
I tried the PS every which way. It doesnt line up.

Drill holes?? Ha ha....no thanks. Maybe you missed the newbie part.

Lol common your telling me you can estimate where the holes would go in your case, mark them and put a drill to them. (just be careful not to leave shavings on the mobo)

Well...it sounds like you have a special OEM PSU, and you'll have to get one from gateway if you want something that will slide right in.