Sign in with
Your question

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500gb Drive not responding

Last response: in Storage
March 1, 2010 11:55:22 PM

Hey Folks,

I have had this hard drive for some time and today there must have been some digital dark cloud hovering above my laptop. The hard drive, external, starts up and you can hear it spinning. It gets to a point and then stops. From that point, it's up and down several times before it stops. I took it out of the external enclosure and tried my drive wire connector with similar results. I tried several different USB ports but the hard drive never gets to a point where Windows identifies it as a drive.

Many people have mentioned backing up and backing up and after years, I had not done exactly that. Called a recovery company and the starting estimate was around about $700 but could go up from there depending on what is discovered should I choose to use their services. Anyone else had this happen, heard of this, and know what my options are. Luckily I don't this drive filled but pretty much everything I need is on this drive. Any and all help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
May 18, 2010 2:23:35 AM

Just wanted to update this story in the hopes that others facing the same problem have similar results. I revived my hard drive.

Here's what I did. Friend of mine helped me not only find another similar hard drive, but with near similar firmware. It ended up not being the same. We also looked for similar country of origin because in experiments, we found this was crucial. Once these conditions lined up, i traded the logic card on a working drive (we tested it before) with the one on the dead drive. It fired up and I immediately backed up to another drive. Hope this helps.
m
l
June 15, 2010 1:31:53 PM

mrgreenbytes said:
Just wanted to update this story in the hopes that others facing the same problem have similar results. I revived my hard drive.

Here's what I did. Friend of mine helped me not only find another similar hard drive, but with near similar firmware. It ended up not being the same. We also looked for similar country of origin because in experiments, we found this was crucial. Once these conditions lined up, i traded the logic card on a working drive (we tested it before) with the one on the dead drive. It fired up and I immediately backed up to another drive. Hope this helps.

Do you remember the particular firmware versions you worked with? I have a similar problem with a 750Gb drive. A
m
l
Related resources
November 27, 2012 9:28:02 PM

yes, please do tell. Firmware?
m
l
December 4, 2012 11:11:05 PM

avanhald and muddymaguire, it's been a while but if I recall correctly. I think the version was 3.AAC......maybe. I ended up using a control board that had firmware that was close to the same version. I think the general recommendation was to look for firmware of equal or more recent version. If you have another hard drive of similar brand and size, try that first but before you do, look up the manufacturer site for any forum postings. If that does not look good, some forums I saw went as far as going onto ebay to find a control board that was the same firmware version.
m
l
!