Best fan setup for my system

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Hi, I'm looking for a new budget case that will keep my system as cool as possible, but before I buy one I have to know what the best fan setup is.

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 (slightly overclocked to 2133mhz) with a huge thermaltake heatpipe cooler, an ECS G80 Geforce 8800gts 320mb (fan blows hot air out of the back of the case) and a Corsair VX 450W psu with a fan on the bottom side.

What would be the best fan setup for a system like this?

DSC00244.jpg

For the case you show, I would add an intake fan in the front, and an exhaust fan at the back.
Is it possible for the cpu cooler fan to be oriented so that the cooling air is directed towards the rear?

As to a good cooling budget case, consider the Antec 300. It comes with two fans.
$59.95 with free shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042
Cases are heavy, and shipping is usually $20, so shop carefully.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
No, the cpu cooler can't be turned.

So you're suggesting a front intake and a rear exhaust, how about the side: does the cpu cooler need a window or a side fan? And how about the gpu, does it need a window? The antec 300 doesn't have a window for it.

Side windows are for showing off your innards, not for cooling.

The important thing is to get some airflow through the case. You want cool air to come into the case, mix with the hot air from the parts(gpu,cpu, and mobo) and exit the case in a smooth, unobstructed flow.

The cpu cooler does a good job of exchanging the cpu heat with the ambient air. The cpu can never get cooler than the air the cooler has to work with. If you do not exhaust the hot air, the cooler becomes less effective, that is why you need flow.

The 8800GTS card is actually very good because the cooler directly ejects the hot vga air out the back of the case. Without that design the vga card would add to the problems of the cpu cooler. As a side note, the 8800GTS cooler has 4/5 slits through which some air can escape into the case. It is effective to mount a slot cooler under the vga card to capture that hot air and get more of it out of the case quickly.

Hot air rises, so the natural flow is to get cool input air from the bottom, and exhaust it at the top. I am not much in favor of side intakes, unless that is the only available place to get fresh air.

Also, your case could use some cable management.
Try to get the cables out of the way of the airflow.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
So it's ok for the gpu and cpu coolers to get their cool air exclusively from the airflow created by the front intake fan, rather than also having holes or mesh in the side panel?

Personally, I don't much like any of them. I am not a fan of "bling" and lights.
If you are, then the Antec 900 is very good.
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/553728/art/antec/pc-tower-nine-hundred-bla.html

Any case with at least a 120mm front intake fan, and a 120mm rear output fan should work fine for you. All the rest is personal preference.

I don't like front doors, they get in the way of mounting dvd's
I do like washable filters on the intake fan to keep the interior clean.
I like a quiet case.
That is why I use the Antec SOLO.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129018

It is not a brand that I am familiar with. That said, it looks OK. Get the value edition, and buy a 120mm fan for the back. Perhaps a 1200rpm model.

I should have said the economy edition. I could not edit the post; I don't know why.