Sign in with
Your question

Asus p5k-E wifi and NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GX2

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 22, 2008 6:53:09 AM

New to Toms.. so hello to everyone.

I have an Asus p5ke-wifi motherboard with an 8800gts 512mb graphics card currently. I want to upgarde the graphics card to the NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GX2 but want to make sure it is compatable with my motherboard.

Anyone know if it it compatable and if it would be a decent upgrade? Any other options that would work better for a similar amount of money?

I have an Intel Core 2duo E6750 with 4 gigs of ram on Windows XP. New power supply also.

Thanks all in advance.

October 22, 2008 7:06:59 AM

your cpu will be holding you back a bit, non pci-e 2.0 will be holding you back a little bit, xp will keep dx10 out of the question, other than that, the card will fly compared to the 8800 gts. either overclock your e6750 to 3-3.2 GHZ, or swap it out for something running/can run at that speed and it will help support the new card.
October 22, 2008 7:18:33 AM

Ok, so they will work but I need to upgrade to take FULL advantage.

Should I just get a new motherboard with PCI-E 2 and a new cpu and then add Vista on top of it? If I go with that would it be better (faster) to do SLI or no?

Sorry for all the questions.. trying to sort it all out before I go to the wife :) 
!