Mouse will not work and jumpy screen when scrolling

biigg53566

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
the mouse does not move the cursor, yet the the mouse is hooked up to usb port and is lite up. but it worked before. Did have a virus and some malware in there but is now cleaned of that. Also the screen is real jumpy when I scroll with the arrows. I do not have a recovery cd for this system. Anyone got any Ideas on net where I can find what I need to get it back to running order. Thanks.

biigg53566

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011

Tried this and it did not work, in fact used 3 different mouses and I know the others are good. I have a feeling it is a programing error or a corrupt file. But thanks for the suggestion.

What type of surface are you using the mouse on? White or glass or shiny?

Also is your scroll set to jump 3 lines or 1 line? You can setup a scroll to do several things, and some settings look like the page is jumping around.

biigg53566

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
The surface on which I am running the mouse on is a regular mouse pad, and I have the settings at 2 lines/movement of the scroll. Also due to the viruses I had on and malware which now is gone, thats why I feel it's an issue of corrupt files or damaged files as far as programing.

biigg53566

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I did get the jumpy scroll fixed now, but I still have yet to get back the use of the mouse. The mouse plugs into the USB port and I have 3 of them to choose from, the thing is I tried also my flash drive in the USB ports and the computer does even show it in the the port, but I can hear when I plug it in and take it out. Anyone got any ideas of what I can do or links of drivers that I may need so that it reads the ports. Thanks much for the help. Lost for answers.

I like to go to my old standby of fixing USB issues, a BIOS reset. Unplug the PC, open the case and take out the BIOS battery for a few secnds, replace, and try things again. Also you may want to look into re-installing the manufacturer's chipset drivers for the motherboard. The virus cleanup may have been a bit zealous and removed some needed USB drivers or registry entries. Or those parts could habve been infected.

Don't know if you run Windows Update regularly, but that would be a good thing to do as well.

biigg53566

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011

I have run the windows updates on a regular basis when needed. I have a HP zx 5000 pavilion,running win. xp pro. In the device manager under other devices/ sub. cat. base system devices there are yellow ?s there, I go to properties and it tells me there are no drivers for this. it also tells me a code 28. do you have any idea or a link to where I can find them.

Oh, it's a latop.. bit harder to reset the BIOS on those, the cases are much hard to crack open.

This looks like your model http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=385152&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=369807&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=228.

Run the BIOS update, reboot, then remove the error devices from device manager so Windows can re-install them properly.

Downoad and install the rest of the drivers, you can probably skip the nework one.

biigg53566

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011

Is this the one I should download and install HP BIOS Update UEFI - HP Business Support Center l --- ?

biigg53566

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011

ok thanks for the link, I did the the download run it through the steps, rebooted the machine and still have no mouse usage. any other ideas on what can be done. this is driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!! And I still have yellow ?s on other devices and base system devices. As before the computer sends out power to the mouse but will not read the movements. Help I am getting desperate!!!!!!!!!! Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Download and install the other drivers also not just the BIOS. Anything happen before all of this? Did you re-install XP or something? Get an overvoltage error on a USB port?

We can try a step to rule out hardware issues, make a Linux Live boot CD, boot off that. It will load mouse drivers. If the mouse works OK, you can pretty much rule out any physical issues with the laptop. If they don't, you may be looking at a motherboard replacement. If the mouse does work, and all of the driver updates got you no-where, you may need to re-install Windows, or at least do a Repair installation of it, but for that you need a disk. http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Download Linux CD here, create the CD using an ISO burner software http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/download.php?lang=en&link=http://csociety-ftp.ecn.purdue.edu/pub/knoppix/

biigg53566

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011

will a cd for live puppy linux work I already have one