Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

XP utility to compress files

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
September 9, 2005 9:45:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi
Does Window XP have a file compressor/unziper built in to the OS? Thanks.

More about : utility compress files

Anonymous
September 9, 2005 10:57:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

firewire wrote:
> Hi
> Does Window XP have a file compressor/unziper built in to the OS?
> Thanks.

Yes.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 2:46:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Yes. It is called Compressed Folder. To compress or .zip a folder or file
just right click and select Send To->Compressed (zipped) folder. To
uncompress just double click to open a file with a .zip extension and from
the Window that opens select File->Extract or simply drag and drop the
file(s) to the location of your choice.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp


"firewire" <firewire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1C6816D5-87B3-4BAD-B8A2-1E642CE5C23A@microsoft.com...
> Hi
> Does Window XP have a file compressor/unziper built in to the OS? Thanks.
Related resources
September 10, 2005 7:52:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

If you email it to someone not running XP, how do they open it - with
Winzip, or is specifically for XP systems?

--

johnf

> Yes. It is called Compressed Folder. To compress or .zip a folder or
> file just right click and select Send To->Compressed (zipped) folder. To
> uncompress just double click to open a file with a .zip extension and
> from the Window that opens select File->Extract or simply drag and drop
> the file(s) to the location of your choice.
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>
>
> "firewire" <firewire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:1C6816D5-87B3-4BAD-B8A2-1E642CE5C23A@microsoft.com...
>> Hi
>> Does Window XP have a file compressor/unziper built in to the OS?
>> Thanks.
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 7:52:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

A compressed file created on XP can be opened with any utility that will
open .zip files. That would include WinZip, WinRar, WinAce etc and a host of
other such programs. Windows Me also includes a native Compressed files
program similar to XP

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp


"johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
news:%23AUSQvctFHA.2756@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> If you email it to someone not running XP, how do they open it - with
> Winzip, or is specifically for XP systems?
>
> --
>
> johnf
>
>> Yes. It is called Compressed Folder. To compress or .zip a folder or
>> file just right click and select Send To->Compressed (zipped) folder. To
>> uncompress just double click to open a file with a .zip extension and
>> from the Window that opens select File->Extract or simply drag and drop
>> the file(s) to the location of your choice.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
>> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>>
>>
>> "firewire" <firewire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:1C6816D5-87B3-4BAD-B8A2-1E642CE5C23A@microsoft.com...
>>> Hi
>>> Does Window XP have a file compressor/unziper built in to the OS?
>>> Thanks.
>
>
September 10, 2005 11:27:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Thanks, Harry

--

johnf

>A compressed file created on XP can be opened with any utility that will
> open .zip files. That would include WinZip, WinRar, WinAce etc and a
> host of other such programs. Windows Me also includes a native
> Compressed files program similar to XP
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>
>
> "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
> news:%23AUSQvctFHA.2756@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> If you email it to someone not running XP, how do they open it - with
>> Winzip, or is specifically for XP systems?
>>
>> --
>>
>> johnf
>>
>>> Yes. It is called Compressed Folder. To compress or .zip a folder or
>>> file just right click and select Send To->Compressed (zipped) folder.
>>> To uncompress just double click to open a file with a .zip extension
>>> and from the Window that opens select File->Extract or simply drag
>>> and drop the file(s) to the location of your choice.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
>>> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>>>
>>>
>>> "firewire" <firewire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> news:1C6816D5-87B3-4BAD-B8A2-1E642CE5C23A@microsoft.com...
>>>> Hi
>>>> Does Window XP have a file compressor/unziper built in to the OS?
>>>> Thanks.
!