Sign in with
Your question

Computer shuts down on heavy load

Last response: in Overclocking
January 5, 2010 9:10:20 AM

Hello all, new to this forum,
Here's my problem, When i run games or a stress test the computer shuts down, doenst BSOD, just completely shuts off. Is this a power supply problem?, I am over clocked (see below). Any suggestions would be welcome.

Here's my spec's:
AMD Phenom 720 X 4 (unlocked 4th core)
multiplier @ 17.5 = 3523 Mhz cpu @ 1.53v
4 Gb G Skill ram
Gigabyte Ga-Ma790x-ud4p Bios rev f5
Corsair 650 watt power supply
Nvidia GTX 260 896Mb
a b K Overclocking
January 5, 2010 9:52:42 AM

does it bsod with only 3 cores?
m
l
a c 197 K Overclocking
January 5, 2010 10:05:57 AM

If your PSU is working properly, you have more than enough power capacity. In fact, your system should be able to be powered by a good 550 watt PSU.

First thing to try is to borrow a known good PSU of similar (or better) capacity.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
January 5, 2010 11:26:06 AM

markb_in_fla said:
AMD Phenom 720 X 4 (unlocked 4th core)
multiplier @ 17.5 = 3523 Mhz cpu @ 1.53v

The fourth core was disabled for a reason.
Enabling it then pushing a massive (for a first generation Phenom) overclock on it is not recommended.
I seem to remember most true Phenom x4 CPU's having difficulties getting past 3-3.2Ghz stably.
I doubt you will get yours even that high stably with the rejected fourth core running...

Disable the fourth core and back off the overclock until your system becomes stable.
m
l
January 5, 2010 4:29:27 PM

It has been running with all 4 cores stable (six hours of prime 95) for 3 months, just within the past fews days its been acting up. No BSOD.....just powers off, but can boot right up with no problems
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2010 2:23:10 PM

Are you using the Stock HS\fan that came with the Chip ?? - If so at that OC with the 4th core it is probably overheating (mine is running stable with the 4th core at 3.0Ghz. but I do not push it anymore right now because I do not have my aftermarket HS yet so it is running a bit high on the temp (nothing near shutting the system down but high enough I don't want to go further with) at that setting under stress (the stock cooler is just not up to the job with the extra core and the extra Mhz. ) So if you are on the stock parts I'd say it was definitely the Temps.
m
l
!