My friends HD is not spining!

Albatroos

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
My friends HD stopped yesterday, he tried it in another pc but same deal.How do you get the drive to work so you can recover the files ?

Please any ideas?

Laura

G

Short of smoke pouring out of it, not spinning is the ultimate fail in hard drives.

The best hope, given that you have tested in other computer, is to find an identical drive and swap the circuit boards. But that still won't help if it's a motor failure.

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
There's a small chance that some gentle rapping could shake it loose if something's stuck. There's probably an equal chance that will damage it further.

HDs are mechanical devices - do backups.

This may not apply, but in the old days of 20-80MB drives, some drives suffered from "stiction," where the drive might not spin up from power off. Many could be unstuck by removing the drive and giving it 1-2 rapid twists about the platter axis before remounting it, but this was rarely a permanent fix. Try that, and if it spins up, BACK IT UP ASAP.

leo2kp

Distinguished
I recently opened a drive due to the same issue and found that the actuator was stuck to the platter. May have been caused by a power-surge welding the read/write head to the platter, but yea I un-stuck it and it spins, but it won't read the disk. I've been looking around for an identical drive to replace the actuator and try to recover files but so far I haven't found one.