adreen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
So I just got my new case fans...and I also reseated/reapplied my thermal grease to the HSF+CPU.
I was expecting big drops, but nadda.
The mainboard temps dropped huge, but what do you guys think about these temps?

Here is my setup:
E8400 with OCZ Vendetta HSF+OCZ Freeze Extreme Thermal Compound
EVGA 750i FTW
Antec 300 Case
Stock 140mm fan
4 x Noctua NF-P12 120mm fans
Mushkin HP 5-4-4-12@2.1v DDR800 RAM 2x2gb
EVGA GTX 260 core 216
1 Samsung Spinpoint 7200rpm 640gb HD

Here are the temps from speedfan:

The temps are with the fans/HSF blasting full speed for 5 mins...not pleasant to the ears! Also stock speeds on CPU @3.0ghz, only ram has bumped up voltages.
GPU : 42c
System : 121c (wtf? i'm guessing it's a glitch, or my system is melting! :()
CPU : 33c
AUX : 29c (wtf is this)
Temp1 : 40c (wtf is this)
Core 0 : 31c
Core 1 :32c

Are they good temps? Or just average temps?
I guess I shouldn't have been stingy on the case huh. Only cost me 40 bucks!

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
your core temps + gpu temps are awesome. my E8500 idles at ~ 33-35 oc'd to 4.2 gighz. i guess i got VERY lucky with my ram though... im pushing a FSB of 440 and i have 2 gighs of 800 mghz ram. Anyway on topic: its fine. although i doubt u have to have your fans on max settings, seeing as oh ALL my fans (cpu + gpu heatsink) are on low and i get very low temps on everything as well.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
what are the ambient temperatures in the room your testing?

what program are you using to measure those temps?

Also cpu temperature should never be hotter than core temperature, so
your sensors are being read incorrectly.

40c I'll guess is the mobo temp or maybe North bridge, most likely North bridge. Aux could be power supply or hard drive.

I recommend downloading the latest Realtemp for the 45nm variety of core2 processors.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

it does not matter what his ambient temp is and obviously hes using speedfan.

you're fine adreen. (and i have the same case as you and i know what it sounds like when you turn all the case fans on max. its hell)

EDIT: i have to disagree with sfb one more time and advise you to use CORETEMP not REALTEMP. realtemp sucks ultimate gravy. download both and you can see for yourself - realtemp will show a 5-10 degrees celcius lower temp than any other accurate program.

So, yes his ambient temp does matter. If his room is 10C and his CPU is cooled to 33C, then there's a problem. But, if his room is 30C, and his CPU is cooled to 33C, he's doing awesome. You'd be hard pressed to cool your system below ambient. I think that's what was being asked. I know this is an exaggeration, but it proves my point. Ambient temp does matter when determining how well your cooling system is working.

Either way, yes those temps are all fine.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

i agree ambient temps matter in your silly extreme situation :lol: i guess i assumed this guy is a normal homosapien that lives under comfortable circumstances. so yes, ambient temps matter, however im confident they do not in this situation.

adreen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
thanks for all the info! :D
ummm, i'm not too sure about ambient...but my heat is set to 24-25c, it's a small room, so I'm probably at 27-28c?
i have realtemp+coretemp+speedfan running haha.
realtemp says my cores are at 27 and 28, so i guess it really does understate the temp.
my bios temp is about 36-37c, board is at 30c.
so it looks like i didn't do too bad huh? :D
took me hours of extra time to do cabling management, tx750w makes it hellish!
thanks for your replies! appreciated

ohhh one more question, i just reapplied my thermal paste on hsf+cpu last night, i ran orthos for about 8 hours and it cleared.
when is it good to start overclocking this bad boy? it hasn't been turned off since last night, should i let the system cool down+paste to solidify before i OC?

adreen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006

lolololol :pt1cable: :lol: :kaola:

sinfulpotato

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
That 121c is likely to be nothing at all. Just a sensor that isn't actually on the board, or way off base.

If something was that hot you'd be able to feel it if you stuck your hand in the case.

loftie

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
The temps are with the fans/HSF blasting full speed for 5 mins...not pleasant to the ears! Also stock speeds on CPU @3.0ghz, only ram has bumped up voltages.

Not sure about your temperatures, just wanted to say if you can hear your Noctua fans, then there must be something wrong, mine are silent - or you just have very good ears :)

G

Werxen
Every time i read one of your posts i think... "Wow what a moron"

First off ambient temp DOES matter... a lot... if your in the bahamas... where ambient temp could be 35 - 40 c ... theres no way in hell your going to have an air cooler get temps LOWER than the AIR temperature...

just like if he was in a room with 0c ambient temperature... a +33 c idle temp would be AWFUL

EDIT: i have to disagree with sfb one more time and advise you to use CORETEMP not REALTEMP. realtemp sucks ultimate gravy. download both and you can see for yourself - realtemp will show a 5-10 degrees celcius lower temp than any other accurate program.

This also demonstrates your ignorance

First off NEITHER program is accurate for 45 nm

Intel has not ONCE posted the T Case Max for their processors

The only information we have on it is from people actually frying their chips with a thermometer next to it

Also BOTH programs have settings where you can set the t case max to the most likely t case for your processor

In multiple threads and in this thread you have shown your ignorance and ill-thinking advice

please

STOP

and

THINK

before you post

BTW: per thread stress testing

use intel burn test as its much more effective for me and can actually go SIGNIFICANTLY higher temp wise with this processor stress program

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Werxen
Every time i read one of your posts i think... "Wow what a moron"

First off ambient temp DOES matter... a lot... if your in the bahamas... where ambient temp could be 35 - 40 c ... theres no way in hell your going to have an air cooler get temps LOWER than the AIR temperature...

just like if he was in a room with 0c ambient temperature... a +33 c idle temp would be AWFUL

This also demonstrates your ignorance

First off NEITHER program is accurate for 45 nm

Intel has not ONCE posted the T Case Max for their processors

The only information we have on it is from people actually frying their chips with a thermometer next to it

Also BOTH programs have settings where you can set the t case max to the most likely t case for your processor

In multiple threads and in this thread you have shown your ignorance and ill-thinking advice

please

STOP

and

THINK

before you post

BTW: per thread stress testing

use intel burn test as its much more effective for me and can actually go SIGNIFICANTLY higher temp wise with this processor stress program

im glad you read all my posts everytime then if you think im a moron. the funny thing is everytime i hear somone like you rebute one of my statements its full of crisitism for things that don't even matter. you say ambient temps matter in his case, i say they don't. they DO NOT in his case and if you want to have a full discussion on this im DOWN.

look at his temps you idiot:
GPU : 42c
System : 121c (wtf? i'm guessing it's a glitch, or my system is melting! :()
CPU : 33c
AUX : 29c (wtf is this)
Temp1 : 40c (wtf is this)
Core 0 : 31c
Core 1 :32c

are you seriously gonna sit here and question his ambient room temperature when speedfan is giving us temps below 40 degrees on average for his cpu and gpu? you are an idiot. this guy does not live in 0 degree celcius environment. if he DID live in an extremely hot environment, then his temps are STILL GOOD which would approve my answer = HIS TEMPS ARE GOOD. you can come over here and dish out your 'guru' computer bs everytime you want and everytime i will shut you down. he asked a SIMPLE question thogrom and I gave him a simple answer:

Question: Do my temps suck balls
Answer: NO they not suck balls under ANY circumstance. even it its friggin -500000 degrees celcius and hes getting 32 degrees on on each core those temps STILL do not suck.

maybe you should learn to READ and let the question SWIRL in that little head of yours before giving out your so called 'advice' to other people here. his temps are FINE and his question was answered by me. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

and as far as that speedfan and 45 nm technology you can debate this all you want but the bottom line is i get the same temps from my mobo as i did on speedfan and coretemp so i go by that.

adreen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEF, lol.
it's all gooooood, relax!
i'm guessing those people that say their core temps are 21c-25c are using realtemp? or a really really amazing cooler?
realtemp is telling me the speed of my CPU is 2.0ghz, missing a whole 1ghz!
oh ya, when should i start OCing my CPU?
reapplied thermal paste last night, ran orthos overnight.
hasn't been powered off since though...

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
First of all thanks thogrom, you saved me some typing.

werxen, you call thogrom an idiot, when it's clear the OP's temps are not being read properly. Like I said in my previous post, his tcase temp(or cpu) is higher than his tjuntion temp. (or core temperature). It's clear somethings wrong with how he's reading his temperatures. And FYI, Everest also shows a ton of readings as do a handful of other programs out there.

Further- Realtemp by some around here who really know what their talking about (Computronix for example), love this program. How many pages on the Xtreme forum under Realtemp have you read? I have read almost a hundred pages, and let me tell you Unclewebb and the others who do research really know their s--t. They continually show test in the form of pictures with an ir gun as well as technical data that we can see. So don't tell me Realtemp is crap, that's just pure ignorance.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

one thing to note is no program will ever be 'perfect' because measuring temperatures on such a volitile thing as a processor is difficult but programs can get close.

btw: with the 1 gig missing it might be the multiplier being lowered when your pc is idle.

adreen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
haha wtf is speedstep :p
i am a noob.
admittedly haha.
that's why i'm the one asking question, not u!
is that the thermal management in bios?
i checked system specs, it was running at 3.0ghz, realtemp reported 2.0ghz.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

let me show you your logic:

a lot of christians also believe their religion is right, therefore everyone should convert to christianity.

i have speedfan, everest, coretemp, and my motherboard telling me i run idle at ~ 33 degrees celcius then i have realtemp telling me i run at 25 degrees celcius. like seriously dude... who am i gonna believe. unless you can physically come here and stick your magic thermometer on my cpu and tell me what my readings are im going to say the majority of programs are the correct ones and realtemp is full of it.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
First get the newest revision of Realtemp 2.90 I believe.

Speed step is a voltage/temperature/energy saver that will lower your cpu multiplier and voltage when under low stress. That's why your seeing less than stock speeds. If you run prime95 with realtemp open, you will see it jump to 3.0 GHZ

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

ok fine im going to download it. at this point im actually curious what realtemp will say.

edit: i can only find v 2.70 to download?

edit 2: i get the same exact readings using real temp as any other temp reading program now. i guess real temp finally fixed the way they read their temps. only took them 50 tries and a beta version.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Buddy your bashing my logic because I think I'm right and your doing the same exact thing... Wow...That's like calling your twin brother ugly,lol

What version of realtemp are you using? Like all programs, fixes and bugs were worked out as it matured. Version 2.70 might not work well for 45nm core2's while 2.90 will.

TRENDING THREADS