Solution

This thread may turn out to be something good, so please keep it foul language free, just because you purposely misspell a word doesn't mean we don't know what it means, you're almost better off spelling it correctly, and let the website filter xxxx it out, or you may force us, the mods, to take action against you, so keep it clean OK.

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

I'd have to say most times actually. Sometimes take longer than others simply because I haven't nailed the correct search term yet.

Then again there are places where their search is shall we say less than cooperative. :)

Sometimes the solution lies in taking a bit from one post/thread and a bit from another to put you on the right track.

Sometimes it's a bit from one forum and a bit from another but in the end it's really all out there.

I find myself doing this a lot, and I try not to, but I catch myself being rude and smart assed sometimes. For people who have been around the forums for a while, some of the same old questions can actually get to be a nuisance.
It's like "good grief I have answered that question, or it has been answered 500 times already. Thank the "Post your IT question here" on the front page for that.
I guess if you don't want to answer the same question again for the 50th time since October, just ignore it and let someone who has the time do it, or simply, and politely point out that there is a "search" button at the top of the page. There is tons of information in these forums if a person would only look.
My resolution for the New Year is to try and be more patient and less crabby with people who log on and ask the same stupid, redundant, idiotic, mindless, lazy, don't have a clue what they are doing questions. I really am going to try.

topper743

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
I concure. Several of you fellows have posted good tech info for the uninformed and thank you for it. That said I think you would agree the sometimes one might see a question that is so silly on it's face or has been asked and answered or would require so much time typing an answer (can they find google) to get the OP up to speed that one just passes that post by.

+1 for the above posts. For example, the people trying to cool a PC with a fridge gets really annoying at the HSF section. For the last 2 weeks, I find my self visiting Bit Tech and xs, OCF/OCN and X CPU. I find that those forums are quite a lot less tolerant of noobs (who haven't done basic research) and their Ban Hammer(s) is/are used quite a lot.

Also one problem is the cr@ppy website search itself. I can use the site search feature on Google with better results than Tom's search feature.

Here's the Google search format to use it:
[fixed]"<enter search here(no quotes)>" site:<insert site here ie tomshardware.com>

so here's how it would look like:

P35-DS3L overclocking guide site:tomshardware.com

[/fixed]
And gives you these results:
http://bit.ly/609GTu
Had to use bit.ly due to phrasing errors

How hard is it to embed the Google Site Search feature on this damn website?!?!?
See: http://www.google.com/sitesearch/

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Not only do I find many have gotten exceptionally lazy but it's reached epidemic proportions.

I chose to take a break from a help forum I was staff at and that was partly due to the fact that I was just getting tired of the same old questions (that as some here point out could be answered by a very simple google and the first hit would deal with the issue) but also what I perceive as a lack of gratitude and the nagging feeling of being used because they make little to no effort to help out at the place that is helping them and they only show up when they want/need something.

Heck some of them even get snarky if their thread isn't responded to within five minutes of them asking a quesiton.

I tend to believe in giving something back to a community but that concept seems to be falling by the wayside.

Now I'm beginning to see that the problem certainly isn't specific to where I was.

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
FU%k them, not that I'll ever know it all, but I've spent DAYS over the last 35 years learning how to make the hardware/software work...I'm really nasty over the clowns that want to be spoon fed and NOT understand the underlying processes...HELP ME SPEND $5000.00 on a computer to get 500 fps... "swift kick dealt here"...

Or in the stickies here. Or in the motherboard manual. Or in the ...

Unless you are an early adopter of a specific platform, you generally do not need a lot of trial and error. A google search reduces the need to reinvent the wheel.

I work in Saudi Arabia, so I'm 8 hours out of sync with the U. S. I try to ignore that.

Some truth to that. There's a lot of people who sign in with a problem. Then, when the problem is fixed, we never see them again. OTOH, look at this from a noob point of view. Noob signs in with a problem. Someone with a couple thousand of posts provides a solution. Noob is going to think, "Even if I am willing, what can I contribute?"

No. For better or worse, people are pretty much people wherever you are.

Would a FAQ [Frequently Asked Questions] sticky do any good?

It may give us something to directly reference to save typing, what do you guys think?

I don't mind typing out instructions to do something, but 20 times a year for each individual thing gets old, like How do I clone my hard drive to run my new setup, and such as that.

How do I enter my BIOS to make changes, seems a simple question but for the person asking it, if they do not even know how to enter their BIOS setup, what will they do when they get in there?

That is what irritates the majority of us, because you need to research and study what you're doing first and then do it.

Sometimes I think we loose track of the fact we all had to learn, and that is what this website is about, I came here to help others, we need to find a way to do that, and not loose what we're all about in the process.

Maybe we should compile a list of what questions irritate us the most, and see what solutions we can come up with, as far as Stickys are concerned they're mostly ignored anyway, and only looked into when referenced and pointed to them.

This thread may turn out to be something good, so please keep it foul language free, just because you purposely misspell a word doesn't mean we don't know what it means, you're almost better off spelling it correctly, and let the website filter xxxx it out, or you may force us, the mods, to take action against you, so keep it clean OK.

Solution

I maintain a couple of text files full of cut 'n paste answers and links on my desktop. I am sure that I am not alone. But it is annoying to see the same questions over and over and over again.

My patience for this kind of thing is usually pretty high, but every now and then I'll throw out a "Google is your friend." I am also likely to simply ignore requests that could be answered by a quick search, or even minimal effort.
Boilerplating more answer text sounds like a good idea though. They won't read a FAQ or stickies, or they wouldn't have needed to ask in the first place.
If someone asks a question that is clearly answered in a site FAQ or forum sticky, I'd like to see a Mod post "This thread has been closed. Answers present in FAQ/Sticky. Questioner 'babbled' for 3 days, enough time to READ before asking further questions."

bob5568

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I would theorize that you folks are simply noticing the impact of publicity. You remember the "good old days" when folks that overclocked treated the process as an engineer would. Those folks still exist, I am an engineer, and I'm doing gobs of reading, even if I haven't a large number of tom's posts to my name.

On the other hand, how many articles have you noticed on overclocking? Even the mainstream press now talks about it. My first overclock (celeron 300) seemed to be something most folks didn't talk about. Now, you'll see overclocking mentioned more freely.

Isn't it logical that people read a glib mainstream article on the subject and consider it quite proper to pop in, and ask for someone to tell them what they should do. These aren't engineers.

I think the only logical reaction is to help those that you wish to help, and ignore those you wish to ignore. The real cause of the silly questions is the general media trying to sound hip without knowing what they're talking about.

my humble opinion,

Bob

The hardest part is not really helping someone out. It is the fact that every board has different values. So in-turn this normally makes it even more of a PITA if the user has no idea what to change in the Bios.

@ Ryan, yes I think a F.A.Q. sticky would be an awesome idea as long as it can catch the attention of those who are seeking help.. Maybe a big fat "Overclocking for Dummies" sticky would help as well even though we already have OC threads available. But it would help to put "READ BEFORE YOU ASK ANYTHING" in there just to lower the volume of people asking the same dam question....