Which AMD processor is good for gaming?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • AMD
  • Processors
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
December 17, 2008 7:00:48 PM

I have a AMD phenom X3 8450 or 8400 (im too lazy to look it up). Either way, it only pushes 2.1ghz and I cant OC it because I have a Gateway. I wanted to get rid of this piece of crap and switch to a better processor. I have a ATI 4870 ($300) graphics card and Im sure the cpu cant handle it which sucks. I have low fps, but Im supposed to be getting very high fps with a 4870. Many were saying this was caused because of my slow processor. I want an AMD not an intel and want around 2.8 ghz+.

Also, I dont really know the advantage of the more cores you have, the better it is? Does a triple core and quad core better for gaming? I always thought it was just the ghz speed. I may be wrong.

Please help
Thanks.

More about : amd processor good gaming

a b à CPUs
December 17, 2008 7:05:25 PM

quad core WILL be better for gaming but not in the immediate future. there is only gta4 that really needs a quad core but an overclocked dual core will keep up (case in point my E8500) there is always going to be a clock speed vs. core debate. IMO, for right now is great time to be wanting a new processor but WAIT till the phenom 2 is out. prices will go down, benchmarks will be up etc etc. its great! especially for christmas time. however, in my HONEST opinion having a DECENT cpu will be good enough since its mostly your GPU. a 4870 is an amazing card and IMO it does not matter if you get an AMD or Intel cpu. advice: wait for phenom 2 to come out and you do not need to dish out hundreds for a quad.
December 17, 2008 7:12:45 PM

Quote:
however, in my HONEST opinion having a DECENT cpu will be good enough since its mostly your GPU. a 4870 is an amazing card and IMO it does not matter if you get an AMD or Intel cpu.

DECENT cpu as in what?
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2008 7:24:08 PM

k1shotz said:
Quote:
however, in my HONEST opinion having a DECENT cpu will be good enough since its mostly your GPU. a 4870 is an amazing card and IMO it does not matter if you get an AMD or Intel cpu.

DECENT cpu as in what?

im partial to the E8xxx series by intel. great dual cores, 45 nm technology and you can OC the living hell out of them with a good aftermarket HS. if you are going to go with a quad then wait for phenom 2 benchmarks to come out and then come on these forums. i guarantee they will be littered with 'should i get this or phenom 2' questions.
December 17, 2008 8:05:41 PM

Unless you are super anal about having high frame rates you won't see to much of a jump. You'll have slightly faster times, a few seconds here and there. As of right now, I'd wait on your upgrade, we are in the middle of a transition in CPU generations so wait a while to play your hand and snag a deal.
December 17, 2008 8:15:46 PM

Phenom II is coming soon. Preliminary reviews look good for it. 3GHZ for the stock high end part. Supposed to hit 3.8+ on air. If you can wait a little while (NDA lifts on the 8th of Jan, but some places are shipping early), you can pick up one of those bad boys. Unlike the 6000+ though you are going to probably drop 200-300 on the Proc and 100-200 on the mobo if yours doesn't support it, which I doubt it will as its a gateway. So $70 for a 6000+ (get the one with 2MB L2 Cache) or 300-500 on a Phenom II quad core.
December 17, 2008 8:17:54 PM

well my ATI 4870 is getting like 15 Fps on high settings 1280x1024 playing Crysis. I've seen videos where it's around 30fps+

So somethings wrong with my cpu
December 17, 2008 8:23:28 PM

at this point in time, amd doesn't offer any cpu's that i would recommend for gaming. but the phenom II's are looking to at least give decent performance. however, i wouldn't hold my breath counting on gateway releasing a bios update that would allow you to run a phenom II.
December 17, 2008 8:45:48 PM

if you really want one now, id also say wait for phenom2, amd just released the athlon x2 7750 black edition. costs about $80 and scores the same as the 6000+ in games thanks to its extra l3 cache and better ipc. it runs at 2.7ghz.
a c 88 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 17, 2008 9:26:22 PM

Crysis doesn't play well with AMD video cards. Any other tests that show you need a new CPU? The 8400/8450 should be enough CPU, lets verify the problem first. Make sure your system is clean and running the way its supposed to.
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2008 9:29:42 PM

No it doesn't, but it should still be faster than that on a 4870.
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2008 9:53:09 PM

4745454b said:
Crysis doesn't play well with AMD video cards. Any other tests that show you need a new CPU? The 8400/8450 should be enough CPU, lets verify the problem first. Make sure your system is clean and running the way its supposed to.

plays well with mine. plus the recent amd drivers added even more performance.

edit: i think what you should say is crysis plays slightly better on Nvidia rather than saying it does not play well on amd which is not the case at all.
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2008 10:02:57 PM

To the O.P. I think that since you have a good graphics card (4870) you should wait and get a Phenom II when they are released next month.
December 17, 2008 10:20:45 PM

Yes please man, wait for the Phenom II. You have a Gateway. ALL oem computers are loaded up with BLOATware to start with. A CLEAN install of windows, and driver updates might be even better than spending ANY money at all.
December 17, 2008 11:15:21 PM

Well, I can't really wait for the Phenom 2 because I need a CPU asap. On my current CPU, I am unable to overclock it, because it is a Gateway. I was thinking about getting a AMD Athlon X2 6000+. Anyways, it would be great if you guys can tell me what I need to improve on the specs I provided. Ignore the gpu and the pwr supply, i got that taken care of.

http://www.shopping.com/-gateway+gt5670+reviews

I need to know if the AMD 6000+ will be suitable for my motherboard.
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2008 11:55:30 PM

k1shotz said:
Well, I can't really wait for the Phenom 2 because I need a CPU asap. On my current CPU, I am unable to overclock it, because it is a Gateway. I was thinking about getting a AMD Athlon X2 6000+. Anyways, it would be great if you guys can tell me what I need to improve on the specs I provided. Ignore the gpu and the pwr supply, i got that taken care of.

I need to know if the AMD 6000+ will be suitable for my motherboard.

you can't wait like 2 more weeks...? :lol:  :lol:  whatever bro.
December 18, 2008 12:16:12 AM

Well I hate to jump in and ruin the party, but if he has a gateway, odds are hes not gonna get an updated BIOS that supports PhenomII. You could grab an 8750, but its a pretty meager jump in clock speed. Realisticaly, if you want a faster CPU, your lookin at a new motherboard too.
December 18, 2008 6:13:36 AM

k1shotz said:
I have a AMD phenom X3 8450 or 8400 (im too lazy to look it up). Either way, it only pushes 2.1ghz and I cant OC it because I have a Gateway. I wanted to get rid of this piece of crap and switch to a better processor.

Please help
Thanks.

It all depends on what your Gateway supports. Check your CPU support list with Gateway.

As more games support 3 and 4 cores, you'll do better, but a clock speed of 2.0 or 2.1 just isn't enough to avoid being CPU limited with your graphics card. Ideally, a 2.4 or higher CPU avoids CPU limitation, especially with more than 2 cores.

Also, the resolution you game at changes the CPU limitation equation. The higher the resolution, the less work is pushed on to the CPU and your graphics card can shine.

I bought a triple core but intentionally did not go below 2.4 gigahertz (the 8750). It does fine in games compared to similarly priced Intel duals. There's a black edition version that's unlocked and can be overclocked that came out a couple of weeks after I bought mine in September. I doubt if your Gateway supports that, but let us know what you find out on their website.

Note in this review that the 8750's a good deal at around $129 or less compared to similarly priced duals with lower cache. Compared to more expensive Wolfdales, not so good in games, but it beats the fastest Athlon X2 in many situations because B3 Phenom has a higher IPC.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2duo-e...

k1shotz said:
well my ATI 4870 is getting like 15 Fps on high settings 1280x1024 playing Crysis. I've seen videos where it's around 30fps+

So somethings wrong with my cpu

No, something's wrong with your monitor, even if it's working perfectly. You're gaming at the wrong resolution with that CPU/GPU combination.

With a 4870 and even a slower triple core like yours, you'd do better gaming at 22" LCD resolutions (or maybe even 24" LCD resolutions). Try a different monitor with a higher resolution.

A 22" resolution is 1680 x 1050 and a 24" resolution is 1920 x 1200:

22" at Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

24" at Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
December 18, 2008 7:59:52 AM

yipsi makes some good points. The 4870 has tons of horsepower to run high resolution.

And I agree to go to the Gateway people, maybe even email them, and get a definite answer about support for a higher cpu.

If no support then get cpu and mobo and ram. Get a Black Edition cpu if you get a triple or a quad (unlocked). But the 6000 sounds like a good option IF that mobo will support it????

You said the power supply is under control. You must have changed it then already. I really do not like these major brand name pc's due to limitations.
You really need to talk to tek support somehow and find out what you can do to MAX OUT this gateway, and then decide if it's worthy or if it's worthwhile to goto major upgrade cpu + mobo + ram.

Maybe best to sell the gateway and start over with the cash.

Need more information, there might be a solution.

Also run msconfig and turn off all those useless startup items, dump all temp files, modify pagefile to a permanent pagefile, scan for spyware, checkdisk, defrag, take out the garbage. (basic maintenance)

Check bios settings - yes there is a bios - only they probably call it "setup".
December 18, 2008 8:19:44 AM

There's also AMD's beta fusion utility that allegedly turns off background processes and overclocks where possible in software mode. Haven't tried it myself. I'm doing fine in LOTRO, which is all I'm playing right now.

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_fusion.aspx?p=1

Can't wait to get my 3870x2 back. It died after 10 months and I'm temporarily using the HD3200 onboard. The 780G and 790GX are great chipsets.

Maybe the OP could give us the model number of his Gateway? If it has a 780G board, then it would support up to a 9750 quad core. I doubt it can support a 9850 because those 125 watt CPU's are beyond spec for most 780G boards.

For now, I'd just recommend a higher resolution monitor. It's very expensive to switch out the motherboard on an OEM system. His gaming resolution is what's holding him back, even in Crysis (which is very demanding to begin with -- more demanding than most other games).
December 18, 2008 1:04:40 PM

I am assuming the link he provided points to his computer. So his chipset would be a NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE.

@ yipsl: You bring up a good point about the resolution, but if he is getting 15 FPS @ 1280x1024 he is going to get 15 fps @ 1650x1080 or higher. Upping the resolution isn't going to remove the bottleneck from the cpu. He needs to worry first about his CPU then he can worry about getting the most out of his card.
December 18, 2008 3:25:58 PM

Will this processor support my mobo?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Here is the link back to my computer specs:

I would prefer keeping my gateway mobo, but if I need it then oh well.

Note to everyone: My goal is to get an increase in fps and performance. So please, whatever you say, I would prefer it to help my goal. I just need to know what the problem is and what I need in order to stop it.
December 18, 2008 11:00:50 PM

You still need to check with Gateway's tech support. That's because, even if an Nvidia or AMD chipset supports a wider range of processors, the manufacturing specs for the Gateway board might not. OEM's generally like to sell new computers and not CPU upgrades to existing PC's, so their boards aren't as upgradable as other ones.

Sorry I missed your link originally. AMD's Fusion for gaming only works on complete AMD platforms like mine, not on ones with AMD CPU's, AMD graphics cards and Nvidia motherboards.

I still think a higher gaming resolution would help, even with a new CPU, but that's not what you want, so good luck. Many people match high end GPU's to low end CPU's and low resolution monitors. Benchmarks are done with high end CPU's at all resolutions to show the scaling unaffected by CPU limitation, so people are surprised when they don't get the frames per second they expect.
a b à CPUs
December 19, 2008 1:05:17 AM

Is this the same motherboard used in your Gateway?
http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Products/ProductsDetai...

Since it will only take up to 95 watt X3 Phenoms perhaps your best bet would be to wait for the lower TPD X3 Phenom II series if a AM2+ version is released which would seem to be probable and there is a bios update for it.

December 19, 2008 2:19:01 AM

"Processor Support Supports AMD® AM2 Socket K8 Athlon™ 64 X2, Athlon™ 64, Athlon™ FX, and Sempron™ processors under 89 watt power consumption

System Bus Support Up to 2000 Mhz"

I COPIED THIS from the mobo link that skywalker poster - IS THAT REALLY THE CORRECT MOBO??

If it is, I believe the system bus speed is actually the HT link speed (hypertransport) and, if I have my facts straight as well,
that indicates HT 1.0,
and HT 1.0 (1000 mhz x2 (ddr) = 2000 mhz
AND
that confirms that this is TRULY an AM2 board and not an AM2+ board.

(It's not always properly stated that way - sometimes they just say AM2 even when it's actually an AM2+)

SO what that probably means is that you have an AM2 mobo.
BUT the cpu triplecore is an AM2+ cpu.

YES you can do that - run AM2+ cpu in an AM2 board
BUT = you don't get all of it.
BECAUSE = the TRIPLE is designed for a higher HT speed (I believe that is 3600 mhz = 1800 (ddr) x2=3600mhz system bus speed)

That means the cpu works but it is actually not running at it's full potential performance - and to get all of it requires an AM2+ mobo!!

Now I also believe - somebody correct me if I am wrong please - I also believe that the 6000 cpu is designed for an AM2 BOARD which you have and therefore, total compatibility and full performance SHOULD BE POSSIBLE with the 6000+ cpu.

If I have all that correct, then check with tek support about running a 6000 at 89 watts - the board linked here shows 89 watts MAXIMUM !!!!

That means if you OVERCLOX the 6000, you will EXCEED the 89 watts rating, and you will BLOW IT UP.

But if you stay at stock, should be OK.

CAUTION = you still need to talk to tek support to see if the freekin BIOS will support a 6000 cpu COS IF IT DOES NOT = you are out.

BUT - it might support a 5000 ish, 5000 or 5200 5400 5600 etc etc whatever works will probably boost performance

bottom line - as I said b4
call tek support and find out how to MAX OUT YOUR BOARD.

You also have 667 ram I think - and you can use 800 ddr but that is NOT the main issue here.

the rest of you guys can correct me if you have your facts straighter than mine - note that this not about opinion, this requires VERY ACCURATE INFO

- that's why you gotta call tek sport.

I hope this helps

sigh

call me an AMD fanboy :) 
December 19, 2008 2:26:33 AM

I just noticed in the specs I quoted above.
It lists support for "FX" ATHLON X2

I read that as "encouraging"

call tek support = PLEASE.

sigh
December 19, 2008 2:35:21 AM

more -
apart from the am2 HT speed (lower)
an am2 board is very different to an am2+ board

am2+ involves "dual planes" which is about dual layers in the construction of the board - this is about fancy electronix stuff that I have not fully investigated yet, but you can, by googling, anyway that's the real big difference in backward compatibility issues like what you have here - or is it forward compatibility - same talk

I'm done now,
good luck, k1shotz

sigh
(sorry for triple posts, could have used 'edit', but this is probably better for clarity)
December 19, 2008 2:36:04 AM

I have to ask is your Phenom the 8400 or the 8450. depending on wich one you may have the TLB enabled which would hurt your performance. I would check that and if you have the 8400 you can always disable the patch and get better FPS. I would sell your gateway and get a new motherboard and CPU that way there you can get what you want. I have a Phenom X4 9850 BE. Then again they probally say 89 watts becuase they don't want you to have a 95watt Phenom. Then you can have a 95 watt Phenom if you want. I hear you can get the Phenom 9750 at 95 watts but you'll have to google it.

here is what you can get if that is your motherboard and can support a 95 watt CPU. http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=401&f1=AMD+Phenom%e2%84%a2+X4+Quad-Core&f2=9750&f3=&f4=512&f5=AM2%2b&f6=&f7=65nm+SOI&f8=&f9=&f10=No
December 19, 2008 3:05:16 AM

I seriously doubt that an 8400 triple core even exists - I apologize if I am wrong - because the triple cores first appeared only a few months ago - long after the B3 stepping FIXED the tlb erratum. (a year ago)

AMD killed the whole line and released models with the 8x50 branding or 9x50 branding specifically so that customers could easily distinguish the newer tlb errorfree models from the previous parts branded such as 9x00.

AMD paid a big price for that - they don't dare go there again.

But you are correct in that his triple core should be a model 8450
(as in generic 8x50)

(oooo - let that dirt go away if you wanna resell your rig someday.)

Also if an entry in bios options lists tlb, that would indicate basic support for the backward compatibility, but I still think that that is his problem and further indulgence in it will only bring more of the same.

Also, major brand name pc's are typically not made for exceeding specs - they tend to be stable as is, but barely adequate for radical oclox and exceeding power specs. Even the socalled monster gamer models are limited by what is built in or left out, but they must meet the original specs - if you want higher, shop elsewhere.

But it's hard to get detailed specs on these to begin with.

(dude, nice avatar) :) 

December 19, 2008 3:22:24 AM

The OEMs ended up with alot of B2 Tolimans, so its not unlikely(Unless he JUST bought this rig) his gateway is packing one.
December 19, 2008 4:16:50 AM

B-Unit's right. OEM's got triple core 8400 and 8600 B2's a month before B3 triple cores arrived. I checked on Gateway's sight and they have models with either the B2 8400 or the B3 8450 being sold at this time.

Here's an announcement at ZDNET for the March release to OEM's only.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/processors/?p=151

k1shot, I wish you luck upgrading. Check with Gateway to see if your bios supports an Athlon X2 6000+ as you have a 6150 chipset board. That's the biggest unknown as far as any advice we can give.

There are so many proprietary things about OEM motherboards (Gateways, Dells, HP's, E-Machines) that just knowing the chipset is not information enough to go on. Plus, most OEM's don't put upgrade information on their website. E-mail their tech support. To avoid warranty issues, they may want you to have the CPU upgraded at an authorized dealer.
December 19, 2008 5:00:35 AM

B-Unit said:
The OEMs ended up with alot of B2 Tolimans, so its not unlikely(Unless he JUST bought this rig) his gateway is packing one.

Totally amazing.

It is no secret to me that those major brands sell brand new pc's that are stuffed full of two or three year old technology - but I never thought they would go that low.

If that's true, then in this case, it's even worse if they sold a Phenom and stuffed it into an AM2 mobo. That is obscene, almost criminal. That makes me really really really angry cos that says those fokkers are blatantly hosing people, taking advantage of people's lack of tek knowledge, all the while blabbering horsepukky about the great performance advantages of parts and appealing to people's pathetic ego's - o never mind.

I used to design new systems for people and often they would come to me saying they were gonna buy = insert brand name here. They could not be swayed from their insanity, wow, talk about spin marketing. Then some needed repairs and nothing made sense until you figured out what low level crap was in the pretty case that only cost 10000 bucks. Most of these piles of horse manure end up in businesses hooked into networks. It's all too sick.

A friend bought one a long time ago, when SDRAM had been standard for a year or more. well his had good old EDO and scant quantity of that.

And the proprietary game - another hose job. This is so unnecessary. But on the other hand if you are a pc tek, nobody trusts you to start off. Once you save their asses a couple times, they love you. insane. welcome to the insane world. wow the op is gonna freak on them. :) 

Me, I stand humbly corrected - but really this is an educated decision of these wonderful oem's and is purely driven by profit cos they get these old rags for pennies. - naw, this is too stupid. what goes on behind the scenes.

and then we sit here trying to help people sort it out. where's the oem manufacturer? sucking coolers on some beach.

EDIT - I just read that link. I am speechless, disappointed, wow, such a picture of desperation. Maybe I am over reacting. Thanks for the education - today's lesson - phwappp!
December 19, 2008 6:21:15 AM

sighQ2 said:
Totally amazing.
EDIT - I just read that link. I am speechless, disappointed, wow, such a picture of desperation. Maybe I am over reacting. Thanks for the education - today's lesson - phwappp!

I have to blame AMD a bit too. They were in such a financial bind with poor B2 yields that they foisted triple cores off on OEM's. If they'd done that at the beginning, that would have been understandable, as the B2 errata didn't stop retail Agena quads from selling. What was wrong was holding back on the B2 triples and selling them to OEM's as the B3's arrived.

This makes me think AMD waited for the time when there'd be some confusion among those who don't follow tech closely. That way, they could get rid of chips they'd otherwise toss out.

Note to OP, the B2 errata is rarely encountered and many people here tried to duplicate it and couldn't. It was mostly a problem with Barcelona on the server side, or with desktops that virtualized. The bios fix slowed the system down quite a bit compared to B3's without the errata.

All CPU's have errata, but some are worse than others. Even if rarely encountered, the bios fix hurt AMD in the enthusiast market. If you have a triple core 8450, then there's no errata and no 15% slowdown. If you have a triple core 8400, then there's a slowdown and that makes it worse because the clock's only 2.1 gigahertz whereas gaming PC's tend to be 2.4 to 3.0 gigahertz at stock; depending on whether they're mainstream or enthusiast.

December 19, 2008 6:54:23 AM

yipsi
do you agree with what I said about using an am2 cpu? - I don't hear anyone jumping on me for that part.
I still think going with a 5000ish or max 6000 cpu will bring performance between components more into line. any comment on that?
December 19, 2008 10:14:06 AM

yipsl said:
I have to blame AMD a bit too. They were in such a financial bind with poor B2 yields that they foisted triple cores off on OEM's. If they'd done that at the beginning, that would have been understandable, as the B2 errata didn't stop retail Agena quads from selling. What was wrong was holding back on the B2 triples and selling them to OEM's as the B3's arrived.

This makes me think AMD waited for the time when there'd be some confusion among those who don't follow tech closely. That way, they could get rid of chips they'd otherwise toss out.

Note to OP, the B2 errata is rarely encountered and many people here tried to duplicate it and couldn't. It was mostly a problem with Barcelona on the server side, or with desktops that virtualized. The bios fix slowed the system down quite a bit compared to B3's without the errata.

All CPU's have errata, but some are worse than others. Even if rarely encountered, the bios fix hurt AMD in the enthusiast market. If you have a triple core 8450, then there's no errata and no 15% slowdown. If you have a triple core 8400, then there's a slowdown and that makes it worse because the clock's only 2.1 gigahertz whereas gaming PC's tend to be 2.4 to 3.0 gigahertz at stock; depending on whether they're mainstream or enthusiast.

And that could be why is getting crappy FPS in Crysis becuase with the TLB enabled it is at least 15-50% hits on performance. There is a program that lets you disable it but it's not AoD as that only works on AMD boards. I think it's Crystal CPU but I forgot where it was. Try downloading that and turn that patch off and see if it gives you better FPS.
December 19, 2008 10:25:22 AM

I have never seen any reference to a 50% hit on performance - max always seems to be 20%. Any sources? (out of concern more than just for the sake of it)
December 19, 2008 2:14:06 PM

Ok here is the link to his comp on gateways website. His Proc is an 8400.

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1015320R/1015320Rsp3....

I am basing this off of the fact that he linked to a GT5670 in the yahoo shopping link.

@ OP blackpanther is right check, on the TLB patch. If it is enabled disabling it may give you a 20% increase in performance.
December 19, 2008 3:12:27 PM

But....disabling the fix will cause instability. How does that help?
December 19, 2008 7:05:41 PM

pr2thej said:
But....disabling the fix will cause instability. How does that help?

The OP is not using hardware virtualization, so the TLB bug should not affect him, no instability.
December 19, 2008 7:25:43 PM

sighQ2 said:
Totally amazing.

It is no secret to me that those major brands sell brand new pc's that are stuffed full of two or three year old technology - but I never thought they would go that low.

yipsl said:

Quote:
If what some of you are saying (and I'm not a tech expert) then I think it's kind of low that AMD would do such a thing. They can't just compete with Intel based on the price they need to show some congruence

Wow people are disappointed in a company that sells a product. What are they supposed to do, throw them away? Seriously what do you expect? The TLB bug only popped up in hardware virtualization and high loads on application servers. So a quick show of hands ... how many of you use hardware virtualization or run an application server?

Thats what i thought. So is AMD a terrible company because they sold tri cores with a TLB bug? Eh probably not.

What about the timing of the launch? Wait didn't they launch the tri cores when they said they would? Shipping to OEMs months before the B3 tri cores where out?

Did they even sell the 8400 on the open market, or was it an OEM only part? My understanding was that they never sold the 8400 and 8600 retail, only to OEMs. Deals like that are made months before ship dates so Dell and HP and Gateway bought their tri cores and AMD delivered them on time. What a terrible company indeed.

December 20, 2008 5:07:35 AM

skywalker9952 said:

Did they even sell the 8400 on the open market, or was it an OEM only part? My understanding was that they never sold the 8400 and 8600 retail, only to OEMs. Deals like that are made months before ship dates so Dell and HP and Gateway bought their tri cores and AMD delivered them on time. What a terrible company indeed.

No, only terrible in that the OEM's came out with their B2 parts at the same time AMD sold the B3 parts retail. Look, I'm an AMD fan. I have what TC jokingly calls a "triple cripple" and am happy with it.

No, I don't virtualize, yet. When and if I do, I won't have any issues. People with B2 9600's here couldn't duplicate the crash and so it's a rare issue. There's still reason to be upset with both Gateway and AMD over this and here's why:

People like the OP who bought Gateways etc. with the 8400 may not virtualize, but if they're locked into the bios fix that slows down performance by 15%, then they get less than someone who chose an 8450 and built their own (or paid at Fry's or a similar place to have it built).

OEM bios' aren't known for features. The fix to avoid the errata might not show as an option to disable in an OEM bios. Thus, people pay more for their OEM PC with less performance than a similarly clocked home or custom shop build.

Both OEM's and AMD assume that people who buy Gateways, Dells, HP's, EMachines do not need or want all that much. This thread by the OP shows otherwise. He wants better peformance because he's CPU limited. Add the 15% performance drop to the 2.1 stock clock, then it's really a case of being let down.

Sure, part of the problem lies with the OP, who bought without doing the research, but that's what OEM's and AMD count on. That's what OEM's and Intel counted on during the Prescott days too.
!