Intel Core 2 Quad 6600
Gigabyte EP45-DS3L
G.Skill 8GB (4x 2GB) DDR2 800
2x WD Caviar 640GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0
EVGA GTX 260 (216)
Corsair 750TX
Vista 64-bit

Uses:

Gaming (1920x1200) for WoW (dual-boxing) and The Witcher.
Adobe Photoshop and Premiere CS3 (my reason for 8GB)

Concerns:

I fear the 6600 will be a bottleneck for the video card (or any CPU that is below 3GHz).
I am hearing dual core is better for gaming than quad core but quad is better for video editing/rendering.

My intention was to get the 6600 and upgrade to a 9550 when the prices were lower but should i ditch the 6600 for a E8500 and then go to a 9550?

Any thoughts? Thanks!
5 answers Last reply
More about build concerns
  1. no, you will be able to overclock the snot out of that 6600. you have a nice config picked out there. good mobo, great video card, sufficient power, etc. pick yourself out a nice CPU cooler and start tinkering! :)
  2. As far as the photoshop is concerned, have you opened the NVIDIA main page? You won't need 8GB of ram if you have a gtx 260, it will run smoother than and cpu based version on any system. and as far as the bottle necking is concerned, neither of those 2 games should eat up all of you CPU.
  3. Thank you for your thoughts and for pointing our the nVidia page.

I just wanted to be prepared because Premiere gobbles up all 4GB of RAM on my current (albiet ancient) system when editing hi-def content. I don't mind spending $60 more for 4GB more RAM but I guess I can always buy more later if needed.
  4. Well if your editing High Def video, it might come in handy, but don't forget, that if you want to use more than 4 gigs of ram, you need a bit operating system, and probably a 64 bit version of Premier.
  5. I am using Vista 64-bit. Premiere is currently only 32-bit but I can use VM OS which allows up to 16GB to be used.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems