Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Q8200 Hot Temperature?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 17, 2008 8:39:15 PM

Hi, I have build my new system recently Q8200 + ASUS P5QL-E + Antec 300 Case

But I have realised the temperature of my CPU is kinda high??? (not overclocking, idle)

(I'm using the original Intel heatsink & fan that came along in the CPU retail box)

Everest Ultimate Edition v4.2

CPU 45 degrees
CPU #1 57 degrees
CPU #2 54 degrees
CPU #3 58 degrees
CPU #4 58 degrees

CoreTemp v0.99.3


CPU #0 52 degrees
CPU #1 49 degrees
CPU #2 53 degrees
CPU #3 52 degrees

RealTemp v2.90

CPU #1 51 degrees
CPU #2 49 degrees
CPU #3 53 degrees
CPU #4 52 degrees

Are these temperature normal at Idle situation?


P.S. I encountered difficulty in trying to install the Heatsink&Fan onto the motherboard, and once I have done so, I realised there is a slight bent of the motherboard (the width of the heatsink & fan is too short???).... o_O

I have read some stuff on the net, and realised some ppl have also encountered this problem, and some suggested installing a backplate onto the back of motherboard will help the "bending" situation, is this true?

And if not, is changing a CPU heatsink and fan necessary in order to help the situation? (all other heatsink & fan fits the motherboard without bending it slightly???) or are there any other solutions?

Thanks.

More about : q8200 hot temperature

a b à CPUs
December 17, 2008 8:53:28 PM

I'd change your heatsink regardless. Stock Heatsinks aren't very good for Quad Core processors. Your temperatures are safe, although for an "Idle" temperature isn't very good.
December 17, 2008 9:40:52 PM

The title of this topic has been edited by Jake_Barnes
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2008 10:23:46 PM

jerreece said:
I'd change your heatsink regardless. Stock Heatsinks aren't very good for Quad Core processors. Your temperatures are safe, although for an "Idle" temperature isn't very good.

+1. The stock HSF that come with the C2D/C2Q are cr@p. Heck the old Pentium D LGA 775 stock HSFs were better.

I recommend getting this: XIGMATEK S1283 + bolt in kit or Core Contact.
December 18, 2008 2:47:42 AM

these constant my temps are too high - man research all the post first - your numbers are fine

if you can research all those monitor programs you can read the previous posts on temps

under 70c is ok! 65c and less is good under 55 c why are you asking?

December 18, 2008 6:58:13 AM

dragonsprayer said:
these constant my temps are too high - man research all the post first - your numbers are fine

if you can research all those monitor programs you can read the previous posts on temps

under 70c is ok! 65c and less is good under 55 c why are you asking?



well......I did my research for posts, and I know my temperatures are "safe" under the specifications. But what I really want to know is if these temperature are "normal" in the sense that I have installed the heatsink and fan correct or not?

Plus if these kinda temperatures will hurt my CPU performance in the long run?

Also, does the bending of my motherboard affect the performance of my CPU/computer system? If so, what are the possible solutions for it?

Once again, thanks for reading my post, and hope more people can share their opinions, much appreciated.
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2008 7:07:52 AM

They may be safe and within spec, but with those idle temps, your load temps are almost guaranteed to be above the spec. Those sound quite high. What are the load temps? Try using Prime95 with SmallFFTs and see how high it gets. If it's above the low to mid 70 degree range, I would consider it too high.
December 18, 2008 7:15:15 AM

cjl said:
They may be safe and within spec, but with those idle temps, your load temps are almost guaranteed to be above the spec. Those sound quite high. What are the load temps? Try using Prime95 with SmallFFTs and see how high it gets. If it's above the low to mid 70 degree range, I would consider it too high.



Well...i tried loading my CPU usages by compressing a file with winRAR, and after running it for about 5mins, the temperature seems to stop rising at around early 60s.

Not too sure why the difference between idle and load is only 10 degrees. Do I have have to load it longer?

Thanks
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2008 8:54:04 AM

It depends on how its being loaded - not all programs will load it all the way. To truly know the load temp, you need a program that will load it flat out, like LinX or Prime95.
December 18, 2008 3:46:15 PM

cooljay said:
well......I did my research for posts, and I know my temperatures are "safe" under the specifications. But what I really want to know is if these temperature are "normal" in the sense that I have installed the heatsink and fan correct or not?

Plus if these kinda temperatures will hurt my CPU performance in the long run?

Also, does the bending of my motherboard affect the performance of my CPU/computer system? If so, what are the possible solutions for it?

Once again, thanks for reading my post, and hope more people can share their opinions, much appreciated.



if you read all my posts on this i am always nice! i have not got more then a few hous sleep in days trying ship sysems for x-mas

my bad! your good

it depnds on the voltage if your at stock voltage around 1.2v they are kind of high

if your running 1.35v with stock cooler they look pretty normal
December 18, 2008 3:50:03 PM

jerreece said:
I'd change your heatsink regardless. Stock Heatsinks aren't very good for Quad Core processors. Your temperatures are safe, although for an "Idle" temperature isn't very good.



i agree a quad should get an after market cooler with a mild oc. if your not overlocking that process ships with a aluminum core or the square hsf toss it

if you got the copper core round one keep it, only if you not oc or if your temps are under 65c

if you run prime 95 not orthos you get all 4 cores going, after 10 mins you temps normally level off, if not you need more fans in your case, if your under 65c - its ok

if it is over 70c it is not oc - you loose stablity


a q8200 is really a bad processor IMHO - the q6600 clocks much higher and the detuned parts sink

its nice for frys to give away but i would not buy it.
!