90_NG

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
System configs:

CPU: Q6600 (2.4GHz by default)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X38-DQ6
Graphics: ASUS EAH3870 X2
RAM: G skill 2GB*2 @ 5-5-5-15 (4GB altogether)
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
HDDs: Hitachi Deskstar - 300GB*2 (RAID 0)
Current OS: Windows XP (32-bit)

It's been about 6 - 7 months that I built this system and it was running perfect and I had it OC @ 3.2GHz on Windows Vista 64-bit. I did not increase any voltages on any hardware when I had it overclocked, and the temps. of the CPU were ~ 30C idle.

Since a couple of weeks (as u guessed) the computer is getting frozen all the time (about 5 - 8 times a day), being more specific on >>GETTING FROZEN<<, I DO NOT get any "blue screens of death" or that kind but the screen just freezes out and the KB and mouse just stop responding and I have to reboot the system manually.

I even checked my RAM using Memtest and there was nothing wrong with it and then I thought if it was something to do with Vista (64bit) and did a complete format and rolled back to Windows XP and set the BIOS as well back to default thinking could it be an OC issue, but unfortunately all my tries have been unsuccessful and it still gets frozen all the time and even restarts itself sometimes. :pfff: (YES > it did restart once while I writing this thread as well)

If someone could help me figure out what the problem is, it wud be gr8ful!
Pls do ask me any questions if I havnt been clear enuf!

Many Thnx.

90_NG

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
yes i did (checked with OCCT), and it was stable!
but the thing is it is not overclocked anymore.. everything is set to default now and it still keeps freezin (its been like 2-3 weeks that this problem's been occurring.)

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
How long did you run memtest86, if it wasnt 10 hours, try again. If the rm checks out after 10 hours run diagnostics on your HDDs. After all of that try a different PSU. Maybe yours is about to go boom.

90_NG

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
oO .. I just let it run for like 1 hour i guess xD... but i will do it 2nyt and check the HDDs as well. thnx m8.

but im just curious about one thing.. it's not been that long for my PSU (max 7 months)... so could it already be dying so early ???

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
First, did you change or add some peripheral just before the problems started i.e., USB, card, wireless adapter etc? If so, remove it.

As roadrunner197069 said, check the HD. Turn SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology) on in BIOS.

Download HDTune and click on the Health tab.

SpeedFan also has a SMART diagnostic. Click on the bar "Perform an in-depth online analysis" just above the drive values.

90_NG

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
yes, it is Memtest86, and i did let it run for a full pass (untill 100%) and that report showed me no errors.. so i just stopped it.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I just noticed you are in RAID0. Get another drive, install only it (no RAID drives), load the OS and see if it freezes.

If you don't have a drive laying around, the WD6400AAKS is cheap and fast. It would make a good storage drive after you are done.