Your question

Adjusting Slim Slot Optical Disc Insert

Tags:
  • DVD Writers
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
March 2, 2010 6:29:53 PM

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the Tom's Hardware forums, but I thought this might be a good place to seek assistance with my issue:

Is it possible to adjust - on a slim (laptop) slot-load optical drive - the point at which the drive "grabs" the disc when inserting it?

Here's my situation: I have an iMac. The factory installed Panasonic UJ-875 slot-load DVD writer failed. I swapped it out with a new UJ-875 (installed it myself as the iMac was out of warranty). What was odd, however, is that the new drive wouldn't "grab" the disc from me when inserting it. I was able to push it all the way into the iMac bezel without it grabbing. I ended up having to use a pen to push it that final bit so that the drive would take hold and load the disc.

Feeling a bit inspired - a not satisfied with the operation of the new drive - I opened up my iMac again a few weeks later and installed a Panasonic UJ-225 Blu-ray reader (again, slot load - of course). Same thing! I can push the disc in all the way beyond the bezel without the drive taking hold of the disc. I have to use the tip of a pen every time I want to insert the disc! Ejecting the disc, by the way, works fine.

So...Has Apple somehow customized the drives installed in iMacs knowing that the bezel is too thick for a slot-load optical drive's factory setting? Is there a way to adjust this on a drive?

Thanks for the help! And thanks for taking the time to read this.

Nathan

More about : adjusting slim slot optical disc insert

March 9, 2010 5:53:52 PM

This appears to be a great mystery. Any ideas? Anyone?

Thanks again!

Nathan
m
l
March 22, 2010 12:55:22 PM

Nathan,

I've just replaced the original Pioneer DVR-K06PD with a Matshita UJ-975S into my mid-2007 iMac 24" and am experiencing the EXACT same problem as you!

Did you ever find an answer to your/our problem?

Please let me know either way; john @ morton . it

Cheers,

John
m
l
March 24, 2010 1:28:13 AM

I am terribly sorry to report that I have NOT found a solution to this issue. I'm rather surprised, actually. I can't believe this isn't more common. Keep me posted as you, like I, continue to search for an answer. I'd love to find a solution!

Nathan
m
l
!