bigmjh

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
I've been getting a lot of good suggestions for my rig ... thanks, everyone. Now a BIG question - I'm not in a real hurry to build this immediately. Would I be better off waiting and seeing what shows up for Black Friday? I know there are always good deals on pre-built PC's ... but what about on components? Anyone know who would do the best at that time? Like I said, I already have an Intel QX6850 and Vista Ultimate sitting on the shelf ... they aren't going anywhere and I can wait it out if there would be significant difference in prices on BF.

afitzwater

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
You can find some really good deals for parts on Black Friday but the problem is you can't be everywhere at once. I usually round up my brothers and we each target different stores. Be warned, depending on your area it could be a little maddening. I usually get to the stores around 9PM the stores will open around 5AM. I still end up being 20-30th in line. With the small quantities of the really good things on sale, there have been many times where I missed out on getting something by one spot.

bigmjh

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
I do almost all of my shopping online. Do online dealers have Black Friday specials?

What is this "Cyber Monday"? Haven't heard of this before.

afitzwater

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
Yes, Cyber Monday does exist but I've never participated in it, just Black Friday. It's supposed to be the Monday immediately following Black Friday weekend.

Here's the reality. If you wait long enough, computer parts will ALWAYS be cheaper later. Buy a video card today, and in a couple months or so it'll be a little cheaper for the same model.

That's just how it works. Whether you're talking about a sale event or not. Generally, online prices will be out box stores almost every time. You just get stuck with shipping, and more time consuming returns if you have to do it.

But, you can still find some killer deals on Black Friday, but usually on certain stuff. So don't expect to get an entire computer built through Black Friday specials.

caNNibaL

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
I'm not I might upgrade my gfx card, get a external flash for my DSLR camera, and maybe a better camera bag =]